Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6749

Sniping! BOOM HEADSHOT!!!

By Jestar12345

Intro

Sniping in Battlefield 2 is not like any other class. A good Sniper can give you information that no other class can, e.g. people’s whereabouts.
Some people say that Snipers should not be capping flags, and this is true, but a sniper can easily attack without any need to go in Rambo style. This is a mistake I used to make. Even though I did get to the point where I could go in guns blazing, and pop someone from close. But with anyone with a rank over Staff Sergeant that just isn’t going to cut it. So don’t go in guns blazing.

This guide will show you how to be a decent sniper.
It won’t show you how to become the pwnage and pull off head shots every shot, because that takes hours of practice.

Snipers: Long Range Flag Defenders

A sniper has vision that no one else has. Say that someone from the opposition has neutralized a crucial flag. (E.g. the Airfield on Wake.) Instead of having to haul your ass down there for some close quarters action, and by the time you get there they’ve already capped the flag, you can simply view their position from afar and take them out. This ensures 2 things
-Your team can cap the flag without worrying about spawning people, as the flag is still neutralized
-Your team retains the flags advantage, and you get some easy points.

Headshots

Headshots aren’t easy but they are worth it. ALL Snipers are One Shot One Kill with a headshot. No one likes to see kill damage assists on their screen when they’re holding the sniper. They want to see a dead body. Also, things usually get harder after you miss the first headshot.  The opponent suddenly sees they have 2 bars of health left, and starts jumping around. This makes it hard to hit them again, but not too hard once you get used to it. That’s were headshots come in. I’d consider headshot difficulty to be measured in different levels.

A non moving target requires little skill; a guy in a MG turret can be easily taken down. People in cars may switch to gunner when they see you. I personally have become a master at taking them out quickly. This is easy, because if you are going to hit them, you will hit their head. If not well you’re probably dead unless you find cover.
People Moving Slowly (e.g. crouching or proning whilst moving) are still easy kills.
People running are harder. You need to lead them but it takes a good shot to headshot them. I don’t get headshots too often.
Remember if you have the chance to headshot them don’t rush it, be calm and put a 50. Cal through their head.

Leading and Stealth

A good sniper won’t rush a shot, especially with bolt action snipers. You simply can’t really afford to have your cover blown. A snipers best advantage is stealth, and that 1st shot may well lose you that stealth. If they get hit, they change their target.
Instead of heading one way, they head towards you, and if they see you, which they might, it can mean 1 of three things. So again , go

1.    They see you and spot you. This is bad, because people hear SNIPER or whatever it is in Chinese and Middle Eastern and think Sniper=Easy Kill. Which in close quarters usually ends up being true.
2.    You take them out after the first shot. However as I mentioned above it isn’t easy after they start jumping around.
3.    They go get health and then they come back and hunt you down.

Here are my opinions on these things.

1 The “Sniper” Cry doesn’t last very long, so just head BACKWARDS INTO COVER and find a new spot.
First thing I notice when I’ve spotted a sniper and shot at him is that half the time they move into the open. Suddenly they think that because their cover is blown they should run in and shoot from close quarters. This is not good as you can see from my K/D; it makes them closer to you, and they can see you better. DON’T DO IT.

2. This could happen, but it shouldn’t as you should go for the headshots. If you see the person looking away, then go ahead take your second shot, but otherwise just retreat, whilst reloading. It benefits you, and you have no need to worry about them catching you off guard.

3. My opinion is divided into two things, which I cover in the next paragraph
Generally if you are in a crowded area stay, you should be safe in your hiding spot, with all the friendly soldiers nearby, they should be in front of you.
If you are on your own, move after EVERY shot, remember the Commander and his Scan, because when he sees that little red dot in an empty area, he’s going to spot it.

To lead someone, look where he is going and shoot when he is about:

O
Here----> | | +
               / \
          __ /_ \_____

Move or Not: You’re hiding spot

A hiding spot should be dark, but not pitch black. A crevice will always help, but don’t get a spot which will impair your vision. A bush would be good, as long as it’s dark. Nothings more obvious than a pair of legs sticking out of a light green bush.

Situation 1- I make it a MUST if I am near 3-4 men to move after I make every 4 shots.
Situation 2- If I am surrounded by men e.g. 9-10 men, then I move after 2 shots. This way I avoid artillery. Simple.

Situation 3- If I am on my own, I move after every shot I hit someone with, or after every 2nd shot. They don’t want to be killed again, so they’ll come searching, and no one likes being shock paddled.

THE TEAM ADVANTAGES TO SNIPING
Sniping is perfect for any squad leader; they find a place to attack, head to a nice safe spot and snipe from there, allowing their teammates to spawn.
It is also good for the commander, who can place claymores at his hiding spot.

The Equipment

RIFLES

BOLT ACTION
Rifles- M24 I love it. The added accuracy and smaller crosshairs rates it above the M95 for me. It can easily kill someone without going prone. Easy headshots.            https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8550/m244nv.jpg

M95-I can pull off the headshots with this thing too, but more noise more muzzle flash and bigger crosshairs make it good but not M24 good. I only use this when I’m on PLA or China. If I’m going to attack their Airfield, I use the M95, so I can kill through glass.

https://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5874/m957qr.jpg

SEMI AUTO
I don’t like these, but you can probably go in to the battle a little more with them. Has a very Quick fire.

https://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7456/type889tw.jpg
https://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2357/svd0yj.jpg

PISTOL

This is the perfect accompaniment for bolt action snipers. If you’re looking for your pistol badge then this is it. A shot to the chest with the sniper will take someone down to 2 bars, and it’s a quick whip of the pistol to finish them off. Or, if necessary the pistol could be used as a close combat weapon, but you shouldn’t be in that situation.

GRENADES

Good for being on top of buildings and wanting to destroy a group of enemies without destroying your position. Also good for an enemy near who is near some form of protection, but why would you be that close as a sniper?

CLAYMORES

I don’t use these, as there is just too big a risk of a TK. I only use them if I am in a well hidden area, and I don’t want to move, then these come in hand. After the new patch, you will be able to remove these claymores, and place them elsewhere, which will be good for us snipers and our scores.

CONCLUSION

A lot of people disregard the Sniper Kit after they first use it. They consider it as a kit to play every now and then, because they don’t score as many points off it. This is not true. I can get around 90 points sniping, though part of that is in a vehicle. It’s the most fun and rewarding kit to play, and nothing is better than seeing a headshot.

A few good hiding spots (More to Come, With Screenshots)

Wake- 1.You’ll often find yourself in a battle in between the Airfield and the Beach.
Just as you go up the hill to the beach there’s is an old plane there, on the left side go to the furthest wing, which should be on the ground. Climb underneath it and crawl forward. This gives you a good shot of gunners in the MG Turrets ahead, and anyone coming past the scan or on the beach to your left.
https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8104/screen0787il.th.jpg

2. Continue forward towards the airfield along the beach form the beach. Continue until you are approaching the PLA chopper. Face it and there is a hill there, go up and look for the bush at the very top. This will give you a clear shot of the chopper and plane people, the tank spawn at the airfield, and the MG Turrets.
https://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5825/screen0795rr.th.png

Sharqi-1. If you are on the US side, spawn at the Hotel and grab a car. Head towards the Beach House AKA Mec Chopper Spawn. Instead of taking the road left right into the area, I like to continue straight and find a crevice in the hills to snipe from. It gives you that added element of surprise, as they’ll search the ground for you.

Carrier Map Plane Assault

This is for MEC/PLA only, so sorry to all those US people out there .
You also must have the M95, to have any effect with this attack.
Approach the boat section of the carrier in some way. Go up the ladder and walk through either of the doors to your left or right. Head down the corridors, and walk through the single door. Take a left, and then go straight down onto the platforms. Keep some sprint in hand walk all the way down, go back a little then sprint jump over. Then you can have perfect vision of the plane when it spawns and kill anyone inside(providing you had the M95).

CONCLUSION

A lot of people disregard the Sniper Kit after they first use it. They consider it as a kit to play every now and then, because they don’t score as many points off it. This is not true. I can get around 90 points sniping, though part of that is in a vehicle. It’s the most fun and rewarding kit to play, and nothing is better than seeing a headshot.

Thanks for Reading,
Jestar12345

ABOUT ME

I am currently a 1st Sgt, and my IGN is “fullysick_meboy”.

Edits----
V 1.1 Edited Semi Auto Info, and included pictures of Snipers

Last edited by Jestar12345 (2006-01-25 19:06:30)

willandmav
+0|6704
Very good guide, which is the best rifle to use, i am about to get my next upgrade and i am thinking of going for the m95, is that what you would recommend????
ifixphns2
+3|6723|Evanston, WY
Give it time bro.  I personally found it pretty informative, and give it my vote to be added to the Guide index.  Like you had mentioned, I had originally found Sniper Class to be a bit of a novelty.  But, once I had some time to explore maps, and plot my points for harassing would-be flag cappers, and spotting attack routes, I find myself using it a lot more.  I have yet to unlock the M95 (gonna be my next), but it's a joy to pick one up off a fresh kill, and go raise hell from far away.
Jestar
+373|6749

willandmav wrote:

Very good guide, which is the best rifle to use, i am about to get my next upgrade and i am thinking of going for the m95, is that what you would recommend????
Well I only use the M95 when I'm on Mec/China, but it is still a very good sniper. I like the M24, but the M95 is still good, once you get used to it. If theres a fair bit distance, just aim a litlle above the guys head, if you do decide to get the M95.

Thx Jestar12345
Rizen_Ji
+41|6744|200m out and smiling at you.
Personally i prefer the Type 88, and you CAN get headshot kills with ALL sniper rifles. If your not hitting the guy's head, then man get some aim.

Claymores are good for setting traps during your retreat also. Guy decides, sniper! easy kill! just run a corner and set a claymore and bam dead whatever guy.

Also about the semi-auto rifles, if you wanna be a team-player then you should take one of these guys, you're a more helpful sniper in that event. Mostly since you can cap 10 guys in less than 10 seconds if you're good

I average around 50 - 55 points a round on straight rifle kills. But I mean when I tried to make a guide I think everyone just laughed at me, probably cause I made it mad long >.<
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6693
Heres my sniper guide.  Press enter, then press the rectangle at the top of the screen that says "SPEC OPS".  Now press the suicide button.  K/D ratio garenteed to rise!

Last edited by Sh4rkb1t3 (2006-01-25 17:53:37)

polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6797|Singapore

Nah.

- Unlock M95.
- Run to plane of choice.
- Enter Plane or TK for Plane.
- Fly Plane.
- Own.
Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6693|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
i thank you for making that post it has helped me and will help me, i usally play as sniper when ever i can get on after work (i have to go to bed at 1030 and i get off work at 9)  i try and get on if i have no home work but stilll.  in my opion sniper is the most vaulable kit in the entire game.  they are good for containg and enemy inside his base and not leting him leave.  the one bad thing is the amout of tks you can get or even deaths from you dum sh*t team mates.  once i was sniping on kubra dam (favmap) i was on top of the dam base rapping with my friend none had come up by me except one enemy, so i chucked a claymore down the ladder, 2 minutes later it goes boom so i go over and cheack it and its one of our noob friends that though it was a power up.  i got my first kick and i couldn't get back on the server.  but if ur playing on a ranked server and when the new patch copmes out we probly wont have that prob. but still all you sniper bashers just give it a try and have respect for the rest of the sniping community every one will like it better lol
WormGuts
+17|6802|Dayton, Ohio
quote[SEMI AUTO
I don’t like these, but you can probably go in to the battle a little more with them. I don’t like the fact you can’t get 1 shot 1 kill with them. Has a very Quick fire.]

sorry to disappoint you bro but semi auto is a 1 shot 1 kill weapon if you hit the head...trust me.  i've become quite skilled with the various sniper rifles.  i am very fond of the chinese rifle.

edit [it's a decent enough guide.  however, people learning to snipe may want to hunt down a good sniper (no offense) to learn from.  of your 4025 sniper kit kills only 1612 are with your rifle.  even if ALL your pistol (275), claymore (56), and grenade kills (143) came as a sniper still nearly half (1939) your kills came in some other manner.  whether those came while you were in a vehicle or a commander is for you to know.  however, the 31% accuracy with sniper rifle and the .53 k:d with the same says something too.  again i mean no offense in my analization.  just that the rookie sniper may want to seak other input as well.]

as for the M95 unlock...DON'T do it.  the sniper rifles you start with are good enough to do the job.  my first unlock was the M95.  i thought that it was a pretty good choice, but once i've gotten to know the other rifles i've found it to be a mistake that i wish that i could take back.  i would give my left nut, or in this case the boomstick,  for the DAO unlock.

Last edited by WormGuts (2006-01-25 18:25:38)

Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6693

polarbearz wrote:

Nah.

- Unlock M95.
- Run to plane of choice.
- Enter Plane or TK for Plane.
- Fly Plane.
- Own.
Oh yeah I forgot to add to run over to a plane, put C4 under the cockpit, and blow up the guy in the plane
Ogopogo15
Mobile AA Whore
+1|6747|San Diego
Thats a pretty good guide.  As a sniper I wont give out my spots. 

The SVD / TYPE 88 are decent rifles,  and I use them often over the M95,  depending on what the situation calls for.  These rifles in my opinion has a lower bullet drop than the M95.  The TYPE 88 seems to have the thinnest crosshair in the game IMO.  With the SVD / TYPE 88,  those are also great because,  if an enemy is 2 feet away,  and is closing in on you,  you could just shoot rapidly with the SVD / TYPE 88 and kill him.
Jestar
+373|6749

OK sorry guys, Ill update it with my newly discovered  Type 88/SVD info.
I dont like them guns.
Maj.Do
+85|6760|good old CA
omg u bumped it lol, im suprised trigger hasnt taken a look
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6777|Human Meat Shield
It is very true to KEEP MOVING after at least two kills on the same person, I have learned that on Warlord, or anywhere else for that matter. They see that Half -Red circle of death and they at least know what direction the snipe came from, the problem is: was the sniper up on a building or down in some brush. I have never been sniped from the same person more than twice without knowing where he is, and I get him.
[GDC]SinnFein
Got Whiskey?
+63|6795|Meiriceá - frm 'Real Capital'
Decent post/semi-guide lad.

I'd have to say there are NO rules/guidelines truly. You just have to do what works best for ya.

I have the sniper stats and I break all the rules. ex: if I have 'good' enough range..i hope they spot me, i hope they keep spotting me, thats when ur kills multiply enormously, IF your a quick enough shot.
RoyWereForUniMare
+0|6789|Holland/Netherlands

Jestar12345 wrote:

Snipers: Long Range Flag Defenders
When I read that part I thought, damn, he's right I usually get the best flag defends of all players at the end of a game.

And I would like to add some things that might be helpfull.

As I am preferably a Sniper (since the 1st time I played it) I have heard and seen alot of things with snipers and myself being one.

About the M95 Sniper Rifle:

I use the M95 no matter what and I am pretty good at it, also headshots aren't too difficult.
And the big crosshair has never bothered me once since I still can see where I need to hit, still don't see why so many have problems with it.
The best feature from the M95 is ofcourse that you can shoot through cockpit glass and I've got a handy tip for that.

I've noticed that the easiest chopper kills I get are from the better then average chopper pilots, especially the one's that can fly really calm and straight.
The best places to shoot a chopper pilot or gunner is when their hovering (the less they move while hovering the better so don't rush your shot) above a flag and the chopper cockpit points straight toward you or is sideways.

The best Map for me to get cockpit kills (from choppers and cars alike) is Sharqi Peninsula, there is 1 big crane in the construction zone (or whatever the name is) that is perfect for it and for more things that I will enlighten you on later.
When there is a good chopper pilot from the enemy team flying around its usually (fcourse not always the fact (when their not busy with destroying your own teams chopper) they use their choppers to (re)capture flags and thats where the M95 comes in.
From the crane you have a great view over 3 flag zones wich is just perfect for a sniper.
Especially the flag nearest the beach is a favoured place for the chopper pilots (as I have noticed in this level).
Since you're on the crane they can't see you (when you are on the top that is) when their trying to (re)capture that flag (same counts for when the chopper tries it with the other 2 flags near you) just aim and WAIT TILL YOU SEE THEIR NAMES IN RED ON YOUR SCREEN!! (just like when you see the white of their eyes XD XD) before pulling the trigger.
And like that I have maneged to pull of cockpit kills more then once.

And I have made more then 20 chopper cockpit kills like that and I've even been complimented twice by the chopper pilots that I had killed.
Not that I'm that great though, just your average playerXD.

Another few tips.

The other few Maps that are good for cockpit kills are:
Kubra Dam - The crane that stands lowest in the Map that has great view over 2 flags and average view over one thats a little further.
Mashtuur City - The high buildings, rooftops and the bridge (under the bridge are great hiding spots, you can't even get hit by artillery!) near the Electricity Station.
Gulf of Oman - Also the crane and the few other buildings there are and ontop of the train in the middle of the field (thats an all out important one since almost nobody thinks about it!).

When you use a crane as a hideout to shoot remember that when people get shot alot they eventually will look up where you might be and kill you instead of you killing him, what they usually do not think off is that you don't have to be on the highest point of the crane to get the overview you want, use the lower spaces too.

The Claymores are great to secure yourself from infantery that want to knife you or shoot you in the back while you're laying there hidden in god knows what spot, sniping your enemy.
It saved my ass a couple a times (since I used to use them incorrectly or my own team mates were too blind to see the freaking skull sign >.<) and I am glad that I have them with me, only its a shame you only can carry 2 of them.

((Do not forget that this is from self experience and they are not orders that you have to follow but they are for some helpfull that are still contemplating about the M95's usefullness, I myself have little to complain about them, but thats just me.))
TheBeast2116
+0|6679
I think I read in the description for the M95 that its supposed to one shot kill the kits without armor, though I don't think I've done it unless with a head shot. Another good thing about the M95 is that if you hit your target you'll prolly get a damage assist since it leaves 2 bars of health if not a head shot and the target is armored.
RoyWereForUniMare
+0|6789|Holland/Netherlands

TheBeast2116 wrote:

I think I read in the description for the M95 that its supposed to one shot kill the kits without armor, though I don't think I've done it unless with a head shot. Another good thing about the M95 is that if you hit your target you'll prolly get a damage assist since it leaves 2 bars of health if not a head shot and the target is armored.
Yeah but don't you want the kill yourself instead of a damage assist?..

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard