Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6217|Winland

Yes, they are.

Hooked up five 12V batteries in series. Probably around 20 amps going through that pencil.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-12-03 10:48:08)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum
Everything is.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum
Also 400amps means that the pencils had fuck all resistance

V=IR

therefore

R=V/I

R=(12*5)/400

R=0.15Ohm

Last edited by FatherTed (2008-12-03 10:39:05)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
SizzlingMidget
+39|6319|UK
Ever heard of something called Graphite?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

V=IR

therefore

R=V/I

R=(12*5)/400

R=0.15Ohm
Yeh, 400A is a bit too high, wasn't thinking.

But you're forgetting that they're in series, so it's 65V.

Just measured the pencil, it's 4Ohm.

So 16,25A.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

V=IR

therefore

R=V/I

R=(12*5)/400

R=0.15Ohm

So 16,25A.
Series V works like V+V+V etc etc

So your overall V is just 5x12. Which is 60
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

V=IR

therefore

R=V/I

R=(12*5)/400

R=0.15Ohm

So 16,25A.

No, as my batteries are properly charged. Ironically, a 12V battery is considered discharged at around 12V.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

So 16,25A.

No, as my batteries are properly charged. Ironically, a 12V battery is considered discharged at around 12V.
I'm using 'perfect world' physics
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I'm using facts.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I'm using facts.
do you do physics at school?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I'm using facts.
We do electronics.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6520|so randum

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I'm using facts.
We do electronics.
hmm.

not sure how electronics goes, but in physics (esp exams), its generally preferred you stick to 'perfect world' physics.

Just before you get in any bad habits!

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REMEMBER TO STANDARDISE DECIMAL PLACES WITHIN AN ASSIGNMENT

^is the most annoying thing in the world
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6669

SizzlingMidget wrote:

Ever heard of something called Graphite?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

We do electronics.
hmm.

not sure how electronics goes, but in physics (esp exams), its generally preferred you stick to 'perfect world' physics.

Just before you get in any bad habits!

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REMEMBER TO STANDARDISE DECIMAL PLACES WITHIN AN ASSIGNMENT

^is the most annoying thing in the world
We tend to go by the real thing.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575
Ladies, if you had 60 A flowing through pencils in your bedroom you probably wouldn't be posting..... anymore.
hoplite :O
+33|5655
End of the day. Pencils do conduct electricity. /argument
wensleydale8
+81|6789|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire

CameronPoe wrote:

Ladies, if you had 60 A flowing through pencils in your bedroom you probably wouldn't be posting..... anymore.
well nor would his family if they all grabbed hold of the pencil.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

CameronPoe wrote:

Why wouldn't I?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Why wouldn't I?
That is a hefty wad of current, 100 times more than enough to kill a man - and make absolute shit of a pencil I would imagine.
wensleydale8
+81|6789|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
isnt it something like 6milliA that will kill you?
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Brasso
+1,549|6650

graphite is, pencil mods woooo
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CameronPoe
+2,925|6575

wensleydale8 wrote:

> 0.1 A
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6217|Winland

CameronPoe wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Why wouldn't I?
That is a hefty wad of current, 100 times more than enough to kill a man - and make absolute shit of a pencil I would imagine.

wensleydale8 wrote:

AC. This is DC.

An AA battery can discharge a good 1.5A, but you won't die from holding one. Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it. Your body simply has too high resistance.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6466|Chicago, IL

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Why wouldn't I?

wensleydale8 wrote:

AC. This is DC.

An AA battery can discharge a good 1.5A, but you won't die from holding one. Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it. Your body simply has too high resistance.
100,000 ohms if I recall correctly, down to >1000 if you're soaked, so a AA can only put out about .015mA of current in your hand, not even noticeable (although you could theoretically discharge the battery by holding it, lol)
doompenguin
+12|5951|London
We did this in Physics and the pencil caught fire, then exploded.

We thought it was so awesome we donated our own pencils to watch them blow up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard