Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6538|Long Island, New York
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_ … /wmd_study

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation where a dirty bomb went off and you were in the radius?

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-12-01 21:04:41)

SealXo
+309|6536

Poseidon wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_on_go_ot/wmd_study

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation?
2012 comes first
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
If it happened right now, I'd be fucked.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Poseidon wrote:

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation where a dirty bomb went off and you were in the radius?
How exactly do you prepare your family for being blown up?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

If it happened right now, I'd be fucked.
I actually remember back in '02 when we had that flurry of threats, my mom and dad (before they got divorced) went and bought hard plastic wrap and duct tape for the windows after the biggest one came out about dirty bombs. That creeped me the fuck out.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6395|The Gem Saloon

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

its not so much about being blown up, its more about the fallout...

which there are more than a few ways to prepare for.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Parker wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Not really, all of those people who built bomb shelters and shit were just kidding themselves. I am thinking unless you are "prepared" to walk around all day every day in a chem suit, you pretty much are not gunna be prepared

Besides, we have Obama now, who would wanna hurt us?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Parker wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Duck and cover.

Indeed, though. We live in an era of nuclear power and a time where even a moderately intelligent group of people could kill thousands of people with the right supplies. Hell, a softball sized amount of Uranium could kill hundreds of thousands of people.

I did hear that the amount of troops in the US is being bolstered significantly though...perhaps because of this threat?
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut
I blame Obama
Malloy must go
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6627|Canada
https://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/02/61/26105_lunchbox_normal.jpg

Last edited by destruktion_6143 (2008-12-01 21:37:39)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Yawn.

It always goes worse for whoever gets caught fucking with us and they will still only kill a tiny fraction of our population.
Economics carry on as long as people keep fucking, eating and shitting. That would be the bad part; what it would do to the economy.

But life would go on.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ATG wrote:

Yawn.

It always goes worse for whoever gets caught fucking with us and they will still only kill a tiny fraction of our population.
Economics carry on as long as people keep fucking, eating and shitting. That would be the bad part; what it would do to the economy.

But life would go on.
Sounds good, any guarantees that me and my family would part of that group that is NOT in the tiny fraction of the population that got killed?

If you could save me a seat I would appreciate it.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
-What ever!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
SealXo
+309|6536
im buying gas masks sometime in the next few months
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
Yahoo has the most negative news stories... shocker they are going down the tubes...

From the story it looks like they are trying to build a case against Pakistan... here we go again... We need the Paks and the Indian people(the non radicals...)  to rise up and stamp out these radical islamic terrorists...  It has to be getting old that innocent people(muslims/hindus etc) are dying because of these people... time to stamp out these radical dirtbags...   and god forbid... but if they use a dirty bomb on the US... we will not be cowered... just pissed off... and we will hunt them down and eradicate them
Love is the answer
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I'm expecting Diablo 3 by 2013.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Well the USA should look to actually defending their southern border.

That bomb wont come via sea. That was the first scenario they prepared for after 9/11 in US maritime security.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Yahoo has the most negative news stories... shocker they are going down the tubes...

From the story it looks like they are trying to build a case against Pakistan... here we go again... We need the Paks and the Indian people(the non radicals...)  to rise up and stamp out these radical islamic terrorists...  It has to be getting old that innocent people(muslims/hindus etc) are dying because of these people... time to stamp out these radical dirtbags...   and god forbid... but if they use a dirty bomb on the US... we will not be cowered... just pissed off... and we will hunt them down and eradicate them
Yahoo does not report on the news. They just syndicate it. The OP is from an AP writer.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

Kmarion wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Yahoo does not report on the news. They just syndicate it. The OP is from an AP writer.
I meant they pick bad stories from news sources... doom gloom stuff imo
Love is the answer
Flecco
iPod is broken.

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I meant they pick bad stories from news sources... doom gloom stuff imo
Well what would you rather hear about?

Feel good stories involving a dog that can count/cute pandas or a warning to the US public that they might be attacked again.

I'd rather the US public was warned. Besides, reality is shit, for the most part there isn't much good news to report.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
As for dirty bombs themselves: as actual weapons doing physical damage, they're not much better than ordinary bombs. The radioactive fallout will only be dangerous to a very localized area and will be very unlikely to hurt a lot of people.

Psychologically, though...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
Southward wind please
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Spark wrote:

As for dirty bombs themselves: as actual weapons doing physical damage, they're not much better than ordinary bombs. The radioactive fallout will only be dangerous to a very localized area and will be very unlikely to hurt a lot of people.

Psychologically, though...
Actually, a shipping container of radioactive material entering NYC would shorten the lifespans of hundreds of thousands of people.

As I said before, I was given a lecture on maritime security. The worst case scenario that the US Coast Guard came up with after 9/11 was a large amount of radioactive material being smuggled into a large port (such as NYC's) and being allowed to sit there. No explosion involved. Estimates put the fastest possible reaction at over six hours due to the time it would take for somebody in a hospital to diagnose radiation sickness and then to track the exposure back to the source. Hitting a port like Hong Kong, New York, Rotterdam or Shanghai would do major damage in terms of human lives.

That's why international maritime shipping security codes and many national laws (including Australia's) were changed to tighten the virtually non-existent security measures being taken. Now it's exceedingly difficult to pull of something like that.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
Sort your southern border and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would be surprised if anyone within the US could source the material for a dirty bomb.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Campoe wrote:

Sort your southern border and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would be surprised if anyone within the US could source the material for a dirty bomb.
Just get enough smoke alarms together and you're done.

Flecco wrote:

That's why international maritime shipping security codes and many national laws (including Australia's) were changed to tighten the virtually non-existent security measures being taken. Now it's exceedingly difficult to pull of something like that.
LOL You know only 1/100 containers gets searched?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard