oberst_enzian
+234|6762|melb.au
Hi guys. Okay, before I go off and start googling this on my work time, I thought I would post this lamentable story of woe here, as I know some of you are knowledgable in the ways of hardware, and might recognise the symptoms - and perhaps be able to offer an insight into what has gone awry (even though I will probably just have to take it in to shop for testing and repairs anyway). So this is the long and the short of it:

I was playing bf2 yesterday, but was having a crappy time so I thought I would disconnect from the server. I took my usb joystick and went to put it away beside my tower - and literally the second I put the thing down (which is why I include this otherwise pointless opening), my computer froze and started emitting some very weird high pitched noises from the speakers. Not Blue Sceen of Death frozen, or black sceen, or CTD - I mean showing the game sceen, but completely frozen, and with this weird high pitched modulating crap coming from the speakers.

Alt+Tab doesn't work, neither does ALT+CTRL+DEL. In fact, the freaking RESET BUTTON ON THE TOWER doesn't work. Neither does holding in the power button. I freak out, and switch it off at the power point.

Since then, if I turn the power on, the fans and LEDs start up, but there is no activity of any kind. No signal to the monitor, no crunchy computer think-y noises, nothing.

(In fact, I had a similar problem with an old celery 400 ages ago - I found that if I just pressed down on the VGA and/or RAM to make sure it was in properly, it would then boot fine. I tried this, but no go. Actually, I removed every peripheral and cord to check for any obvious damage - couldn't see any- and reinserted everything firmly and correctly, but it stays the same).

Everything has worked fine up until this point. The last change to the system configuration I made was in December, when I put in the two sticks of RAM and a new soundcard. I am thinking this is my motherboard crapping itself? Any way to know if this is the case, and/or if it has taken anything else (i.e. vga or hdd) down with it?   

I have:

P4 3GHZ (socket 775, model 530J)
Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G, 800fsb. AGPx8
4x512mb DDR400 (Dual Channel)
MSI Radeon 9550 (256 MB RAM)
Antec tru-power 430W psu
160GB Western Digital SATA HDD
Buckaroo Banzai
King of The Echo People
+1|6715|Deep In The South Of Texas
Look around on the mobo for any bulging or leaking capacitors.

Also, what kind of temps are you running at?
oberst_enzian
+234|6762|melb.au

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

Look around on the mobo for any bulging or leaking capacitors.
Also, what kind of temps are you running at?
thanks for the reply. i will have a closer look at the capacitors tonight. dunno what temps it was running at (didn't have any dedicated LEDs or anything, and didn't check regularly) - although it did run really hot the other day (it was 42 degrees Celcius outside and the fan was working overtime, so the temp must've been rather high). thing is, it ran fine, as it did for the following two days when temp levels (both ambient and pc) were normal. do you think I could have damaged it in the heat, and only had it go critical a few days later under normal stress levels?
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6719
Sounds like you fried your motherboard. If this USB joystick has its own power supply, you my have accidentally sent a jolt through your mobo. The motherboard should be insulated from the case, but sometimes its not. If it wasnt an electric shock, I dont know what might have caused this, but it definitely sounds like a motherboard problem. Especially if your computer does not make a beep when you start it up, which means the motherboard isnt initializing.

This would also explain why the power and reset buttons do not work, as those are controlled by the motherboard and not the power supply.
DMFDxUconn
+8|6786|Kannapolis,North Carolina
I had this exact problem.

Im reading your post, waiting, hoping to see it.. and BAM.. there it is...
a new soundcard.
Thats what did it to me. I had to take my Audigy 2 out and put a cheap SB Live Value card in, and all was fine.

Try switching out your sound card for a lesser one.

GL.
oberst_enzian
+234|6762|melb.au
thanks guys. I don't have a lesser soundcard, as I went from onboard sound to... yes, an audigy 2... so I can't try that test - although I had tried it without the soundcard altogether, and still nothing. I have also heard about the USB power jolt issue -apparently a faulty USB key can totally fry everything in your computer - and i did bump the plug as i put it down - but it doesn't have it's own powersupply... so still no way to know! in any case, it does indeed sound like the mobo died for either a card or jolt/surge related reason... D'OH!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6735
mobo couldve fried....
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6779|San Antonio, Texas
It does sound like the mobo fried by an electrical jolt, just hope your CPU and RAM didn't go with it...
oberst_enzian
+234|6762|melb.au
yeah, tell me about it. the mobo i can easily replace - but if both mobo + cpu went, let alone all three... i am screwed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard