KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6650|949

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Metric rocks for science, but I still think in feet. DesertFox makes a good point - I greatly prefer imperial over metric for carpentry / tech class, but then again I'm wired to think in feet. When my teacher tells me to get a 3-foot long 2x4, I can visualize it better than a meter-long 2x4.
It would mean by 2 foot bong is only .6096 meters, and really, what's the fun of having a .6096 meter bong?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-11-18 13:18:27)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5717

haffeysucks wrote:

The cost of changing practically every road sign, right off the top of my head, for one.

And stubbornness by the majority of the American public.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6560|Texas - Bigger than France
Simple answer:
Someone will switch to millimeters to make their penis seem longer than it actually is.
jord
+2,382|6697|The North, beyond the wall.
Real Imperial is measuring in stones and pounds. You don't use imperial, you use bastardise, simpleton, ruined version of it.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6568|CH/BR - in UK

Schwarzelungen wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

I don't see us ever changing, I think I remember in 2nd or 3rd grade they pushed metric on us really hard then it just went away. We are too set in standard to switch, you have ten generations that are firmly set in the standard system.
i remember that back in early grade school....one week of learning metric and never again

we'll keep the old way and make it easy on people like me who are numerically retarded anyway
Make it easy? The metric system is as easy as it gets:

Giga: 1'000'000'000
Mega: 1'000'000
Kilo: 1'000
Hecto: 100
Deka: 10
Deci: 0.1
Centi: 0.01
Milli: 0.001
Micro: 0.000001
Nano: 0.000000001

And that goes for everything. Computing, distance, volumes etc.

How the hell is the British system better? (which the UK is/has changed except for miles, really)

-kon
The#1Spot
+105|6558|byah

haffeysucks wrote:

The cost of changing practically every road sign, right off the top of my head, for one.

Dont forget gas prices will go up if its done by the litre.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

The#1Spot wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Why?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
jord
+2,382|6697|The North, beyond the wall.

haffeysucks wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Why?
Same reason I'm worried about switching to the Euro.

People will try to exploit the new currency as others don't know the true value...

That and the Euro's shit.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6216|Winland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Metric rocks for science, but I still think in feet. DesertFox makes a good point - I greatly prefer imperial over metric for carpentry / tech class, but then again I'm wired to think in feet. When my teacher tells me to get a 3-foot long 2x4, I can visualize it better than a meter-long 2x4.
It would mean by 2 foot bong is only .6096 meters, and really, what's the fun of having a .6096 meter bong?
That's why you say you have a 600mm bong
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
firebolt5
+114|6174

Harmor wrote:

Maybe with our new President we'll finally convert?  The only think we measure in Liters here is our Coke and Pepsi.
Well, I think there's way more important things than converting to metric.
Brasso
+1,549|6649

jord wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

Why?
Same reason I'm worried about switching to the Euro.

People will try to exploit the new currency as others don't know the true value...

That and the Euro's shit.
Oh come on, how long could that last?  If I were me I would try and exploit it in a different way - handy Imperial/SI calculators anyone?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6465|Chicago, IL

haffeysucks wrote:

this, mostly
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|6013|Truthistan

jord wrote:

Real Imperial is measuring in stones and pounds. You don't use imperial, you use bastardise, simpleton, ruined version of it.
I always wondered why

1 imperial gallon = 4.5 liters
While
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters

anyone know how that happened?

less is more I guess? Bastards!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6780

for the same reason Brits have 20 words for the same thing.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5983|London, England

Learn both, then who cares

usmarine wrote:

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-11-18 19:26:01)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6711
I tend to use meters sometimes. It think it comes from BF2.

o.O

Mutantsteak wrote:

Learn both, then who cares

usmarine wrote:

One of the pictures in that video had bare nipples! NICE.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2008-11-18 19:38:28)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6457|King Of The Islands

Diesel_dyk wrote:

jord wrote:

I always wondered why

1 imperial gallon = 4.5 liters
While
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters

anyone know how that happened?

less is more I guess? Bastards!
But they have the same quart, pint and floz, right?

Makes perfect sense.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6342|New Haven, CT
https://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseum/fraternalism/images/stonecutters_song_1.jpg

This.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6511|Connecticut
You dick will sound bigger when you say the size in milimeters rather than inches. Sweet.
Malloy must go
Axatar
+29|6480|France
We can "all" say that the metric system is much easier to count than the imperial one,but the imperial is rooted in many people's minds, therefore it will be  hard to even try to convert whole nations to the IS.

It reminded me of this:
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6668|Washington DC

We tried it before ... and it failed.  Now, the American agenda is to get the rest of the world to submit to our measurement system, except for 2-Liter Coke.   
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England
All you military fanboys, don't you guys use metric right? Well, mostly.

Actually not really

half and half
phishman420
Banned
+821|5700

pilebomb wrote:

College football playoff is at the top of Obama's list. Metric system can wait.
Thank God.

I use the metric system for weight.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6665
metric system is faggy
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6700|Disaster Free Zone
Ahhhhhh it's metre and litre... and it's fucking colour too!!!!

It wasn't that many years ago the backwards USA was still using fractions on the stock market, if you could change that why not your measuring system. The metric system is just better in every way, its easier, more logical, more accurate and just, not plain stupid. There is not one application where the metric system is not superior, and it's only through stubbornness and laziness that it is not used globally. Just like the Dollar/cent is far superior to the imperial pound/shilling/pence crap, and why everywhere around the world has changed to a similar system.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-11-19 23:47:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard