God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6359|tropical regions of london

CameronPoe wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

the only 72 virgins that exist are the ones that post in this forum.
"You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period."

roflmao

PS That was the 72nd post ... ... Allah has entered the forum ...
holy shit!  that wasnt on purpose
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6503|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

CameronPoe wrote:

the only 72 virgins that exist are the ones that post in this forum.
"You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period."

roflmao

PS That was the 72nd post ... ... Allah has entered the forum ...
holy shit!  that wasnt on purpose
Break out the suicide vest.
God Save the Queen
Banned

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

MGS3: The main thing is, is that the guy who believes in 72 virgins is strapping a bomb to himself and detonating it in a market place. That is not a solider.
What about the bomber pilot that drops a 500 pound bomb on a building and the collateral damage kills civilians? Is he a soldier?
no, he's a pilot
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6183

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

MGS3: The main thing is, is that the guy who believes in 72 virgins is strapping a bomb to himself and detonating it in a market place. That is not a solider.
What about the bomber pilot that drops a 500 pound bomb on a building and the collateral damage kills civilians? Is he a soldier?
no, he's a pilot
Still, he is regarded as a hero when he is clearly not one (same as some army soldiers).

What I meant by soldier was the common characteristic between pilots, marines, soldiers, etc.  Political tools.
God Save the Queen
Banned
soldiers are far superior than pilots, marines and sailors. especially marines

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-10-20 16:19:05)

MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6183

soldiers are far superior than pilots, marines and sailors.
That explains why more soldiers are killed compared to pilots, marines and sailors.
God Save the Queen
Banned

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

That explains why more soldiers are killed compared to pilots, marines and sailors.
now thats an asshole thing to say.  but to answer it, yes, because the US Army is far more involved in the nations military operations than all of the other branches.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6183

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

now thats an asshole thing to say.  but to answer it, yes, because the US Army is far more involved in the nations military operations than all of the other branches.
It stings doesn't it? But good reply, at least you kept it cool.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6553|Long Island, New York
nevermind the fact that the US Army has 200,000 more members than any branch

but don't let common sense get in your way
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6410|The Gem Saloon

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

I bet the majority of soldiers in the US army believe in God, how retarded is that?
i dont know, how retarded is it, MGS?

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

And how does that make you different to those that blow themselves up to get 72 virgins?  Maybe their morals may not be as yours, but they have some.
i guess its only retarded when christians have beliefs

hypocrisy is fun!
God Save the Queen
Banned

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

I shouldnt have.  no stinging.  You are talking to someone who has had to face the corpses of fellow soldiers.  You should feel like an asshole.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

I shouldnt have.  no stinging.  You are talking to someone who has had to face the corpses of fellow soldiers.  You should feel like an asshole.
Like how it just went away.
MTNMAC
+6|6392
Aside from the obvious differences- motivation, uniform, beliefs, etc... falls the real difference. Actions on the objective. When a soldier does his job, he does so with professionalism, and per his rules of engagment. When an enemy combatant is captured, he is searched, tagged, and processed as an Enemy Prisoner of War(EPW). Then he's fed three times a day, and given a place to sleep. When a terrorist or insurgent captures an enemy combatant(soldier carrying a Geneva Conventions ID), he is videotaped, beheaded with a rusty saw, and his body is dumped.

I'm not saying this happens 100% of the time. Soldiers disobey orders, violate the ROE, and act like asshats. But the vast majority are professional in carrying out their assigned tasks.  Unfortunatley, shit like Abu Ghraib happens, and makes every soldier look bad.

Personally, I've never taken a rusty e-tool and hacked someones head off, but that's just me.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6427|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Best analogy for this would be the old saying -

One mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter.
I was watching In The Valley Of Elah last night
Ah. So YOU'RE the one who watched it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Best analogy for this would be the old saying -

One mans terrorist, is another mans freedom fighter.
I thought that movie was about Scientology......
FEOS
+1,182|6427|'Murka

SgtHeihn wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I thought that movie was about Scientology......
We'll have to ask Braddock...he's the only one who has seen it. I honestly think Gigli did better...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6662

CameronPoe wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Sun-Tzu realised in prehistory that engaging in warfare should, as far as is possible, always be avoided/prevented.
if our species was really prepared for that, there would be no use for guns or door locks
That is the goal of Sun-Tzu's Taoist-influenced teachings: prepare for all eventualities, appear formless to your enemies, engage in espionage and counter-espionage, never engage in battle if there is any chance of losing, always retreat from battle under a variety of unfavourable circumstances. First and foremost, take measures to make sure war never occurs.
Thats not Sun-Tzu. Not the Sun-Tzu I read about.
Parker
isteal

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

if our species was really prepared for that, there would be no use for guns or door locks
That is the goal of Sun-Tzu's Taoist-influenced teachings: prepare for all eventualities, appear formless to your enemies, engage in espionage and counter-espionage, never engage in battle if there is any chance of losing, always retreat from battle under a variety of unfavourable circumstances. First and foremost, take measures to make sure war never occurs.
"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting." -Sun Tzu

pretty much spot on with everything i have learned about him.
i have read three seperate translations of the art of war, and that is a resounding theme in all three versions.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
Parker: I don't think Sun Tzu had a tattoo of a battleship on his arm.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6662

Parker wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle, but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting." -Sun Tzu

i have read three seperate translations of the art of war, and that is a resounding theme in all three versions.
Meant more along the lines "never engage an enemy if their is any chance of losing". Theres always a chance you can lose.

I also don't remember the "avoid war at all costs part" but I'd have to get back to you on that. Been a few years since I last read it.

The version I have is by Ralph Sawyer.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6168|what

SgtHeihn wrote:

He had an "I love Mum" tattoo instead.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Parker
isteal

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Parker wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Meant more along the lines "never engage an enemy if their is any chance of losing". Theres always a chance you can lose.

I also don't remember the "avoid war at all costs part" but I'd have to get back to you on that. Been a few years since I last read it.

ugh...now i might have to go blow the dust off my copies...

im more of fan of Von Clausewitz anyway...easier for me to relate to.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6662

Parker wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Parker wrote:

ugh...now i might have to go blow the dust off my copies...

im more of fan of Von Clausewitz anyway...easier for me to relate to.
I can't imagine the translations being very different because its such a simple read. I like my version because it begins with a historical introduction.

Plus it looks cool on a bookshelf.
FEOS
+1,182|6427|'Murka

TheAussieReaper wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

He had an "I love Mum" tattoo instead.
Actually it said "#23 Kung Pao Chicken"

True fact.
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6306|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

by using the laws standards, yes.  So is firebombing large civilian populations.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I am a firm advocate of the use of guerilla warfare by the weak and oppressed when the cause is just as it is the only manner in which they could ever possibly have a chance of succeeding against a vastly more powerful aggressor. 'War' and 'Laws' don't really seem to mesh for me, because when the shit hits the fan everyone breaks them and the victors get off scot free (e.g., Dresden firebombing).
Exactly, what would have happened if David had fought Goliath in a proper stand up battle instead of using his slingshot on him? He'd have got raped, that's what!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard