• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Got a question, intellectual debate (Mac vs Windows ... new Macbook)
Benzin
+576|5991
OK, get those gloves out ... Mac vs Windows

Since the new Macbook line came out on Tuesday, there are some new additions. Let's focus this one on the notebooks and then on performance and also pricing.

Which is better and why?

GO!

Last edited by CapnNismo (2008-10-16 06:31:44)

Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6482|Gogledd Cymru

pc cos macs suk lolol0l
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
PC's are more versatile than Macs. I don't get it when people say Macs are better for graphics shit or whatever it is they say. They act like you can't do any of that shit on a PC. I mean fuck sake, everything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC. Except, you have much more flexibility and choice on a PC.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

In before Bertster.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Only advantage Macs have is the built-in webcam.

If you can call that an advantage.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Well not really. Where's that image where it compares a PC and a Mac. And it shows the before/after of what happens if your webcam breaks down.

Long story short, the PC is all there in its entirety, minus the whorecam, whilst the Mac, the whole thing has to be sent away because said whorecam broke down.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Well not really. Where's that image where it compares a PC and a Mac. And it shows the before/after of what happens if your webcam breaks down.

Long story short, the PC is all there in its entirety, minus the whorecam, whilst the Mac, the whole thing has to be sent away because said whorecam broke down.

TheAussieReaper wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Other than the stiff price, I can't find any huge faults in this mac book:

- Up to 2.8GHz C2D
- NVidia 9600m
- 1066mhz DDR3 ram
- Backlit keyboard
- Blue-tooth
- 802.11n
- 320gb HDD or 128gb SSD

...not bad. However, it is expensive and apple can go fuck themsleves with their money-grabbing shit.

1. They now have a "MiniDisplay Port" - any adapter bought for the old Mac, won't work. MDP -> DVI or VGA or whatever isn't included.
2. The ram is now tucked so far in that you almost have to give it to apple to change it
3. They removed the $40 remote, which used to be included, without reducing the price (old macbook).
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6439|Boulder, CO
I like the mac books for the style of them and they generally have very nice specs to go with the style. I don't like the price, I mean ok you're a company  with shareholders you have to make a profit, but do you have to make such an obscene one?

I think that the standard I macs are best given to those who don't know how to use a normal pc as an introduction to the basics of computing as they can be fairly simple to use and there are very few wires etc.. etc...

On the other hand I greatly prefer the options you have with a pc in regards to building, maintaining and improving your own. This of course is something you cannot do with an imac so if you were to get one you could game properly on you would still have to replace the entire thing every other year simply to keep with the technology.

I also believe that all apple products have become to much of a social status item in so far as people are actually snobby about which style ipod you have or which year imac you have (not because of the specs of the thing but because of the appearance of it). Granted you get this same snobbery with pc's but I generally find its greatly reduced and if you are that narcissistic so as to believe that what your computer looks like really matters in life you can always change the case of a pc.

It is true that imacs have better audio-visuo capabilities but its not as true as it used to be as pc software makers have realised the niche in the market for software that can do audio visual stuff well on pc's and as a result created products to rival those of the macs.

Altogether though I think there is no such thing as which is better as they both have completely different target audiences, those of imacs and macbooks are people who want something that they can simply plug into the power socket and use. If it breaks they can just send it back and have it repaired or a new one sent out. The general pc market is after people who are generally more interested in the machine itself rather than what software it has (I mean spec. wise here) and target more the people who don't want to get a completely new machine if it breaks just that the thing works again quickly without any real expense in getting it to do so. Granted most people who use any form of computer don't know a single thing about what goes on inside them but for those of us who do recognise the effort and complexity of these machines (i.e. its not  a completely inanimate object its more of a false creature with its own organs that all work together for one purpose and is infact very fragile) I think a pc is better.

Obviously I personally prefer pc's but I do like the macbooks and would probably buy a high end one as well as a high end laptop if I had the ridiculous amount of cash it would require for both.

/End of ridiculously long post for someone such as me.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone

TheAussieReaper wrote:

PCs have that too. I really don't see why I would get Mac osx over Windows.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

The Mac OS is absolute and utter crap.  And the way they portray Vista as not being compatible with older Windows apps is an absolute joke.  We have a small group of art department personnel on Macs, and they are constantly running into compatibility issues with their Mac version and other applications they run like Quark and PS CS3.
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6437|Lisburn, NI

The Sheriff wrote:

pc cos macs suk lolol0l
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

Noobeater wrote:

It is true that imacs have better audio-visuo capabilities but its not as true as it used to be as pc software makers have realised the niche in the market for software that can do audio visual stuff well on pc's and as a result created products to rival those of the macs.
Ahem, what exactly does Intel integrated audio chips and 9500GTs have over Xonar DX' and 4850s?

On topic, I find PC far superiour since Apple ditched PPC. That was the last thing that made Macs unique. OSX is no easier to use than a preonfigured Vista OEM install. The reason PC manufacturers don't make iMac copies is because people only look towards Macs when wanting a computer like that, mainly because APPLE ARE A LOT LOUDER IN THEIR ADVERTISING. DID YOU REMEMBER TO CHECK OUT THAT COOL NEW IMAC BTW? WE'VE DOUBLED THE HIP-FACTOR IN IT!

On the notebook side, their machines are ok spec-wise, but they still go way too far on the fashion factor and "We-are-Apple-we-are-allowed-to-charge-too-much". I mean, a 17" laptop without a numpad? Come on. They need to start thinking a little about utility. I wouldn't say a numpad is that hard to use

I think you could summarize it like this: Macs are for people who eiher want them just because they're Macs (or "look good"), or have gotten fooled into thinking they're that much easier to use. Something that was true back in 1998, but has worn off a lot by now.

Oh, and good luck on the intellectual debate thing. This isn't gonna end up any different than the other Mac-vs-PC threads on the net.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-10-16 10:05:42)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

I have both. They both have their advantages. Best to exploit each platforms strengths. I think the PC wins.

I use my HP Laptop to run my Plasma. Upscales movies VIA HTMI. Its connected to my server and streams all my music to my amp. Not through I tunes.  (big advantage) Has a remote control which I can use like a mouse.

The MAC runs all my music and video editing and thats it.
Benzin
+576|5991
Well you guys do have to admit that the Mac displays are pretty friggin crisp. At least when you buy a Mac, you're getting some quality. But I don't get a notebook that only has 2 USB ports. What the shit is that? My EEE 900 has THREE, while the Macbook PRO (keyword there: PRO) only has two. Come on ...
prototype
+52|6303
PC is better, more choices and you dont have to wait for "special"software to come out

games also get later release dates for MAC
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6189|Winland

prototype wrote:

PC is better, more choices and you dont have to wait for "special"software to come out

Games get released for Mac?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Brasso
+1,549|6623

prototype wrote:

if they release at all.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Smithereener
+138|6308|California
This is nothing substantial, but the look of the new notebooks are fugly. Honestly, the now older models looked so much nicer than that glossy black bevel. Solid colours ftw. Quite honestly, the notebooks are much better than buying desktop Macs IMO; but even then, it's still not absolutely spectacular like so many people say they are. I can't say that they're bad machines, but they definitely aren't the holy grail of notebooks.

However, I don't know what to think about the lack of clicker buttons. Sure the trackpad thing is fairly innovative, but I get the feeling that the novelty will wear off after a bit.
Benzin
+576|5991

Smithereener wrote:

This is nothing substantial, but the look of the new notebooks are fugly. Honestly, the now older models looked so much nicer than that glossy black bevel. Solid colours ftw. Quite honestly, the notebooks are much better than buying desktop Macs IMO; but even then, it's still not absolutely spectacular like so many people say they are. I can't say that they're bad machines, but they definitely aren't the holy grail of notebooks.

However, I don't know what to think about the lack of clicker buttons. Sure the trackpad thing is fairly innovative, but I get the feeling that the novelty will wear off after a bit.
Like I mentioned in another thread, the multi-touch pad on my EEE PC is really nice. I never use the buttons on my netbook, ever. I think Apple might have overengineered this new line of notebooks, though.
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6655|under there hayousaidunderwear
What do you plan on using it for? 

Most of you act like you have never used osx leopard.  I personally use my macbook mainly for logic express/photoshop/flash and have not had a problem in over 2 and a half years....can't say the same about my windows xp desktop
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6227|Texas
Macs are for 2 kinds of people

1. Artists/Musicians
2. Teenage douches who think they're artists; thus, they join a marketing craze to buy a relatively middle of the road computer for a high-end pc price because they think it's cool.

They look nice, but they're not for regular usage (business, school, anything that doesn't require intense creativity).

I have a few friends who installed xp on their macbooks. Useless and expensive, but i guess they figured out that mac osx and leopard suck.
Defiance
+438|6663

Yellowman03 wrote:

Macs are for 2 kinds of people

1. Artists/Musicians
What tangible benefit does it have for them?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

Yellowman03 wrote:

1. Artists/Musicians
2. Teenage douches who think they're artists; thus, they join a marketing craze to buy a relatively middle of the road computer for a high-end pc price because they think it's cool.
3. Those who deepthroat Apple propaganda

Those three pretty much cover it.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
CrazeD
+368|6665|Maine
The way I see it, is a PC can do anything a Mac can, and a Mac cannot do everything a PC can. For that fact alone, I can't help but think a PC is better.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Got a question, intellectual debate (Mac vs Windows ... new Macbook)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard