Eiffel*SOG*
+0|6843|Miami, Fl
I've been playing Battlefield 2 for a while and sometimes I decide to go Sniper. Sometimes I am a sniper for  the USMC and other times for the MEC or the PLA. It has made me wonder why the USMC, coming from one of the most highly advanced countries of the world, has bolt-action Sniper Rifles while terrorist groups such as the MEC or the PLA have Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifles. Why couldn't EA or Dice (whoevers in charge of that) couldn't make the Sniper Unlock the M82 instead of the M95? The M82 is Semi-Automatic and has 50 cal bullets giving it huge stopping power. Bolt-Action Sniper Rifles give a disadvantage to Snipers because they have to 'cock' the Rifle every time they fire. Now, with Euroforces coming, I would have thought that they would have given a 'better' Sniper Unlock, but when I visited EA's Battlefield 2 site I notice that the new Sniper Unlock is also Bolt-Action. What is wrong with these people? The US has way more advanced Sniper Rifles than these Bolt-Action Rifles. I hope that if they ever make 3rd Tier Unlocks, they include the M82 Sniper Rifle. I used to play Novalogic's FPS games like Delta Force and Joint Operations. They had the M82 and it was VERY effective and you didn't have to go out of scope view and 'cock' the gun again. I wonder wha were they thinking about when they assigned Sniper Rifles to the USMC
CackNBallz
+45|6739|Toronto, Canada
I prefer bolt-action sniper rifles over semi-auto in every game I have played.  I even kept the bolt-action in Resident Evil 4 for the GameCube as I preferred it over the semi-auto (although you needed the semi-auto for the Iron Maidens because the thermal scope only worked on that rifle). 

With a bolt-action, you are forced to make each shot count, and if you miss a head shot you can easily switch to the pistol or rechamber another round to finish him off. The rechambering animation also gives you a quick look at your surroundings instead of staying in the scope and then the sky because of a knifing.

You can always steal another sniper's semi-auto in the game or pick the other army if semi-automatics are what you need.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6745|Mark it zero.
bolt action rifles are more accurate at long distance. they have less moving parts which make it so the gun will be steadier. i would much rather prefer a bolt action in game and in real life.
ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6737|In your head

Eiffel*SOG* wrote:

I've been playing Battlefield 2 for a while and sometimes I decide to go Sniper. Sometimes I am a sniper for  the USMC and other times for the MEC or the PLA. It has made me wonder why the USMC, coming from one of the most highly advanced countries of the world, has bolt-action Sniper Rifles while terrorist groups such as the MEC or the PLA have Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifles. Why couldn't EA or Dice (whoevers in charge of that) couldn't make the Sniper Unlock the M82 instead of the M95? The M82 is Semi-Automatic and has 50 cal bullets giving it huge stopping power. Bolt-Action Sniper Rifles give a disadvantage to Snipers because they have to 'cock' the Rifle every time they fire. Now, with Euroforces coming, I would have thought that they would have given a 'better' Sniper Unlock, but when I visited EA's Battlefield 2 site I notice that the new Sniper Unlock is also Bolt-Action. What is wrong with these people? The US has way more advanced Sniper Rifles than these Bolt-Action Rifles. I hope that if they ever make 3rd Tier Unlocks, they include the M82 Sniper Rifle. I used to play Novalogic's FPS games like Delta Force and Joint Operations. They had the M82 and it was VERY effective and you didn't have to go out of scope view and 'cock' the gun again. I wonder wha were they thinking about when they assigned Sniper Rifles to the USMC
Bolt-actions are much more powerful, we have tested this. A bolt action only lives 2 bars of health left where was a semi-wuto leave 1/4-1/2 left of health.
Anima05
+1|6756
to add to that, why is USMC using SRAW, when they could be using Javelins.  Javelins are 10 times as powerful as SRAW
ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6737|In your head

Anima05 wrote:

to add to that, why is USMC using SRAW, when they could be using Javelins.  Javelins are 10 times as powerful as SRAW
To help even out gameplay I guess.......but then why does the MEC helo so much more powerful and less resistant and climp faster than the USMC counter part?
Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6737|Vermont
Bolt-action = more accurate.  ALWAYS.  And besides, the US armed forces do use bolt-action rifles.  I believe the Army snipers use the M24 and the Marine snipers use the M40.  Both bolt-action.  And besides, if you want to have any kind of accuracy on your second shot with an SVD, you'll have to pause for about how long it takes to ready a bolt-action rifle anyways.
MarkyMark
+5|6669|UK

ghostgr wrote:

Bolt-actions are much more powerful, we have tested this. A bolt action only lives 2 bars of health left where was a semi-wuto leave 1/4-1/2 left of health.
ROFL yeah but theyre not more powerful because they are bolt action. LOL if you had the same gune bolt action and semi auto, the bolt actions not gonna be like a M95 vs M24 heheheh

They both have good and bad points but tbh you like like a legend with a bolt action, and you can't go "*chck...chck*" <<<<bolt noise) lol with a semi auto!

But yeah like someone said earlier, bolt actions have less moving parts so the rifle remains steadier (in real life of course). TBH its like CS in this way, people who aren't so good at sniping will tend to use a semi auto because they'll need more than one shot to take out an enemy, and at the same time theyre good way to practice.  Bolt actions (in games) are only good if u know you'll get a confirmed kill after you squeeze the trigger.

USMC scout snipers as well as British sharp shooters both use bolt actions as standard issue, and to be honest I think they'd know what theyre doing

Last edited by MarkyMark (2006-01-21 18:47:29)

shikimoribito
+0|6729|México
If you want semiauto choose another kit like assault or medic; snipers are meant for one shoot kills not for shooting randomly until the enemy dies. Also, I see quite annoying that MEC and PLA have semiauto sniper rifles. This is an opinion of someone that spends most of his playing time as sniper ( 114 hrs sniping only of aprox 150 of total gameplay).
ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6737|In your head

MarkyMark wrote:

ghostgr wrote:

ROFL yeah but theyre not more powerful because they are bolt action. LOL if you had the same gune bolt action and semi auto, the bolt actions not gonna be like a M95 vs M24 heheheh

They both have good and bad points but tbh you like like a legend with a bolt action, and you can't go "*chck...chck*" <<<<bolt noise) lol with a semi auto!

But yeah like someone said earlier, bolt actions have less moving parts so the rifle remains steadier (in real life of course). TBH its like CS in this way, people who aren't so good at sniping will tend to use a semi auto because they'll need more than one shot to take out an enemy, and at the same time theyre good way to practice.  Bolt actions (in games) are only good if u know you'll get a confirmed kill after you squeeze the trigger.

USMC scout snipers as well as British sharp shooters both use bolt actions as standard issue, and to be honest I think they'd know what theyre doing
Wow dude learn to spell and put proper punctuation jesus christ couldn't read your post it is so illegible. I was talking about in the same caliber moron, of course the m95 is more powerful than the M24 in real life but in the game they are the same. Me and friends have tested this. And You can easly get a one shot kill with a semi-auto if you know how to do it but it takes alot of practice. But I like M95 better sniping pilots out of helos or jets is always a funny experience.
MarkyMark
+5|6669|UK
Jeez'! I was in a hurry but I'll be sure to make every grammatical, punctuational and literal perfection I can in this one. OK?

A rifle's power has nothing to with it being bolt-action or sem-automatic. It's about muzzle velocity and calibre. Just because two rifle's fire rounds with the same diameter, it doesn't mean that the bolt-action will be more powerful. The only thing that reload type affects is firing rate and accuracy.

PS: I'm not sure if you meant, "M95 and M24 are of equal power in the game", but if you did, they aren't.

Last edited by MarkyMark (2006-01-21 19:17:39)

ghostgr
177th Field Artillery
+39|6737|In your head

MarkyMark wrote:

Jeez'! I was in a hurry but I'll be sure to make every grammatical, punctuational and literal perfection I can in this one. OK?

A rifle's power has nothing to with it being bolt-action or sem-automatic. It's about muzzle velocity and calibre. Just because two rifle's fire rounds with the same diameter, it doesn't mean that the bolt-action will be more powerful. The only thing that reload type affects is firing rate and accuracy.

PS: I'm not sure if you meant, "M95 and M24 are of equal power in the game", but if you did, they aren't.
They are of equal power I have tested this, but with one you can shoot through glass. And if you take an SVD and then another rifle of the same exact caliber, grain, etc. the bolt action will be more powerful. This is because the way they are made it burns off more powder but not the same with semi or an auto. I have tested this in real life and in game.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6745|Mark it zero.
they do equal damage to infantry, but the m95 can do more damage to vehicles.
shspunkrockr
+0|6749

BiRdMaN829 wrote:

Bolt-action = more accurate.  ALWAYS.  And besides, the US armed forces do use bolt-action rifles.  I believe the Army snipers use the M24 and the Marine snipers use the M40.  Both bolt-action.  And besides, if you want to have any kind of accuracy on your second shot with an SVD, you'll have to pause for about how long it takes to ready a bolt-action rifle anyways.
Marines use the M-24 and M-40 and the Army uses both of them as well. Both services have really great sniper schools, except the Army sniper school can also be attended by soldiers from foreign armies too, as long as they aren't enemy.
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6771
OK, Its like this. 

The intended purpose of each individual soldier is different.  Same with the individual rifle.

PROS:
M-class rifles.  Well Balanced, Reliable, Sure Footed, easy to erect, powerful

SVD-class rifles.      Fast, Light, +ammo = smaller caliber, gravy scope.

CONS:   
M-class rifles.  Heavy, Slow

SVD-class rifles.  Light caliber, less acurate, closer distances.

Now I prefer M95 because there is nothing better than that Long range kill, where you know the guy didnt even hear it.  But then again when Im laying on my belly with a sweat SVD, as my infantry runs by, guns a blazin. I sqeeze off several kills at less than 15 meters away, because the enemy finds assualt troops more of a threat,
WU551E
+0|6690|Hell, or close it it anyway

ghostgr wrote:

MarkyMark wrote:

They are of equal power I have tested this, but with one you can shoot through glass. And if you take an SVD and then another rifle of the same exact caliber, grain, etc. the bolt action will be more powerful. This is because the way they are made it burns off more powder but not the same with semi or an auto. I have tested this in real life and in game.
I am sorry but the action type of a rifle cannot possibly affect the muzzle velocity of a given round, now the way a given weapon is made, the barrel, the rifleing, the amount of twist, and the way an action works (obviously a gas operated weapon will have a slightly lower muzzle velocity because of the use of a small mount of the gases being siphoned off for use of cycleing the bolt)  Now in the game they didn't take into account for real life physics ortherwise the M4 would be able to do the same amount of dammage as any other 5.56mm weapon in the game, and I have found this to be otherwise.  The main reason the Marines use a bolt action weapon system for their scout snipers is for reliabilty and higher accuracy.
Rizen_Ji
+41|6732|200m out and smiling at you.
anybody else offended when he calls the PLA a terrorist group? I mean I'm from Taiwan but, c'mon that's kinda offensive, they are an established army and the MEC is supposed to be an established army as well... So I'm kinda thinking your one of them NRA gun-toting, American Flag waving jack***es....
Scarymother
+1|6739
There are all sorts of real-life pros and cons, but in this case it's all about game balance.  More damage, slower reload time.  They couldn't have a semi-auto weapon that killed in two hits from range.

It's the same reason that the 50cal M95 does the same damage as the 7.62 M24 in the game - it's all about balance.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6724|Australia
gee, they might as well give them the XM109
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6759

Wow, today I picked up an SVD because I was out of ammo in my G36E (did a couple of terribly placed reloads) and DAMN that gun is sooo nice. It's not great, but I miss it lol. The scope is wicked, pretty much a little ^ to get your aim straight. Instead of going click crazy like I used to, headshots. You miss? Don't worry, re-steady your hand, and GET THAT HEADSHOT.

It was fun.
Mike_J
+68|6665
I finally discovered that all sniper rifles in this game can kill a fully healed opponent with one shot.  I was always under the impression that only the M95 and M24 could make a 1 hit kill until the other week.  I love the type 88 now because of it's sight.  Nice and thin.  Did the last patch increase the power of the SVD and Type 88?  I could've sworn they never could make 1 hit kills before (yet these kills are still few and far in between).
snowboarder2025
+1|6673
i use the bolt action and can take out a sniper using the auto-snipe after he has hit me once, because i know from my own experience and those cool red arrows that tell which direction i was hit from and spin around go prone, shoot them in the head by their second shot and still have half of my health, and leave them yelling HACKER!! because i'm that good with my bolt action rifle.  personally i love the m24, and use the m95 only when on the mec or pla or where helicopters hover a lot
Mike_J
+68|6665
as eager as i am to start using the svd and type 88 more often since i found they can kill in 1 hit...nothing beats the sound of loading bolt action rifles.
JS-L1Wolf
+0|6676|Netherlands
If you even played the game, then you would have noticed that the M24 is the superior rifle in the game, no whining about bolt-action. Bolt-action is accurate and deadly, most of the hunters who hunt bear and deer use bolt-action rifles. Why?? Because they're the best, and if you dont like it, play another game.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

Some people find the Semi-Autos to fit ther style of Sniping better, but Semi-Automatic Sniper rifles don't mean that the rifle is more modern. Bolt Action Rifles do make sure every shot counts, and having a Semi-Automatic rifle in the game has little advantage. You do have to wait until you have the rifle steady after every shot anyway.

Also, bolt action rifles are used because it dosn't bloody matter how long it takes to chamber another round. For a Sniper, the first round has hit and killed the target anyway.

My playing style calls for me to use bolt action rifles. I like to hit and kill my target first shot. The bolt action forces me to place my shot better and results in me having a better accuracy, (42% and climbing all the time.) Also, I hate the scope in the MEC rifles. I've never been able to properly use those things.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard