Icleos
+101|6759
Anyone else see the new South Park Episode that aired this Wednesday?
They nailed Lucas and Spielberg really badly about how they butched the Indian Jones movie.

'South Park' vs. Lucas and Spielberg: Too far?

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/09/indy_south_park.jpg

Never mind "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report," the most welcome Comedy Central program this election season just might be "South Park."

The series has been on a roll for the past four/five seasons, and whether turning an alien invasion into an examination of immigration, or leprechauns into targets of terrorism, "South Park" has been presenting relatively reasoned examinations of cultural issues.

Until, perhaps, last night. "South Park" has missed out on skewering this summer's pop-culture events, and last night, the episode was on the attack. As dark and twisted as "The Dark Knight" was, "South Park" was just as aggressively over the top.

Returning with new episodes as part of its 12th season, "South Park" didn't level its aim at presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain (fingers are crossed for such an episode to be forthcoming). Instead, the series had Hollywood heavyweights George Lucas and Steven Spielberg directly in sights.

Oh, there was also a paranoid Cartman convinced that China's Olympic opening ceremony telegraphed an attack on the United States, but Cartman's mockery of Chinese stereotypes was almost an afterthought after Matt Stone and Trey Parker completely dismantled the worldwide hit "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

"We all saw it happen," says the handicapped Jimmy, discussing "The Crystal Skull" as if it's a personal tragedy. "Do you remember that scene with Indiana in the refrigerator? It didn't make any sense, Stan."

From there, an excited Stan sits down to watch the latest film in a dream sequence/nightmare, but soon has to warn Indiana Jones that Spielberg and Lucas are nearby. And then Indy's pants come off.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/09/indy_southpark_2_2.jpg

The boys of "South Park" spend much of the episode struggling to come to grips with the raping of Indiana Jones. In its rave review of the episode, IGN wrote that "South Park" went "beyond offensive and into some sort of hyper-offensive stratosphere," all of it hilarious.

Indeed, each scene builds upon the other, with Spielberg and Lucas eventually becoming two rednecks in the woods who demand Indy "squeal like a pig" as the pair humiliates and degrades a cinematic icon. A Stormtrooper gets it even worse, prompting the "South Park" police to lock up the directors to prevent such travesties from happening again.

Not that anyone didn't see this coming. Parker and Stone tried to warn Spielberg and Lucas from even making a fourth "Indiana Jones" flick. Back in 2002, the series took the two to task for re-editing their films for the worse, hoping to prevent a ruining of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

But was continually -- and graphically -- having Spielberg and Lucas violently rape Indiana Jones too far? "He's gonna do it right there!" shouts a cartoon Spielberg in one scene, holding back Indy's hands over a pinball machine. Or was seeing a Stormtrooper completely defiled still easier to swallow than having to watch Shia LaBeouf swing like a monkey, or worse, inserting aliens into the film?

Show Tracker put a call in to Lucasfilm to try to get their thoughts (ha!), but in the meantime, do you side with "South Park," or those behind the "Crystal Skull" on this one? Coming a few days after The Times' Hero Complex wrote that "Indy 5" is still a possibility, it might be time to make your voice known.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtra … -vs-l.html
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Saw it.. wasn't really funny. Butters kept shooting people in the crotch, that was kinda funny. Too far is expected with South Park. Aren't they banned in Russia?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6602|England
Yes i saw it. Yes it was funny. Yes they went too far, but that is the same for most if not all South Park episodes. Besides, did you actually see the film? It was hand on heart, the worst film i have seen in my life.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6588|USA
i liked the irony present: raping indiana jones and all, kinda like how they raped south park.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6657|Your moms bedroom
On the other hand indy jones sucked hard. I want my money back
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6486
They didn't go to far, they fucked up the whole series with a shitty fourth film. It's the same thing every time a good movie gets a lame sequel, the preceding ones get soiled, they're no longer any good because now they have this relation to something so shit.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6649|949

Haha when I saw it the other night I was wondering the same thing.  It was one of the most hilarious episodes ever.  When George has him against the pinball machine - oh man!
Roc18
`
+655|5808|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I saw it, I was a little dissapointed. I know the episodes are gonna get better though.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6724|67.222.138.85
Lame. I didn't find the two biggest jokes (Indy being raped and Butters shooting people in the balls) really funny at all. If anything they should have done more with China.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6728|Sweden
Hello Indy what your doing out here? God it was very extreme even for beeing cartoon Squell like pig! IIIIII iiiiii but i couldnt help myself laughing. Very sick humour in that episode.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
I thought it was fucking hilarious, although I thought the new Indy film was pretty good. I know people say "omg Aliens wtf" but they act like the other Indy films were realistic, bunch of morons tbh. Plus it actually dived into the theory that ancient civilisations/mankind was given a boost by some extraterrestrials. Which, isn't as Far'Fetched as you might think.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6359|Atlanta, Georgia
Fucking pussies need to quit taking to heart about everything people say about them... I bet Lucas and spielberg made 15x what matt and trey made, so why do people bitch?

This is just coming from a really chill person that doesnt get hyped about anything.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6341|New Haven, CT

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Lame. I didn't find the two biggest jokes (Indy being raped and Butters shooting people in the balls) really funny at all. If anything they should have done more with China.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6672

South Park is right, Lucas and Spielberg did rape Indiana Jones. And it's South Park, of course they're going to take everything "too far". I didn't find the episode mind-blowingly hilarious like so many of their other episodes, though.
jsnipy
+3,276|6540|...

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-10-10 20:20:36)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6682|NT, like Mick Dundee

Haven't seen the new Indy, not sure I want too as it will probably fuck my perception of Jack West Jr. (lead character in Matt Reilly's lastest novels) too, I'm a big Indy fan but an even bigger West fan and I don't want shit fucking up how awesome those two characters are in my head.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

mtb0minime wrote:

South Park is right, Lucas and Spielberg did rape Indiana Jones. And it's South Park, of course they're going to take everything "too far". I didn't find the episode mind-blowingly hilarious like so many of their other episodes, though.
As they have done before, all the aliens with walkie talkies, ring any bells? You could say the Passion of the Jew was a pretty similar concept or even Cartoon Wars, to some extent. They obviously feel strongly about this sort of stuff and clearly that's what they should be making episodes about (stuff they feel strongly about, I mean). In previous episodes it has perhaps been done better (getting their money back off Mel Gibson ) - but I have to say I did really like the overall theme of the episode, Cartmans speech at the end about wanting America to be great but not at the cost of losing it's dignity was very apt.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-10-11 03:28:03)

jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
Everything is open in comedy. You should all know that. Shit, there's a daily joke going round at work that consists of paedophilia.

And guess who the only person who finds it "not funny" is...?

A woman.

So you're all pussies if you get offended at jokes.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England

Flecco wrote:

Haven't seen the new Indy, not sure I want too as it will probably fuck my perception of Jack West Jr. (lead character in Matt Reilly's lastest novels) too, I'm a big Indy fan but an even bigger West fan and I don't want shit fucking up how awesome those two characters are in my head.
lol you people are so lame
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
It is not possible for South Park to go too far.
We need them way out there to show us just how far its possible to go.

Latest Indiana Jones film was crap.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jord
I watched India Jones last night. I know that shit aint realistic. But surely I wasn't the only one saying "yep dead now easy" when he was having a great laugh in the middle of a Nuclear blast...
Flaming_Maniac
It wasn't unfunny because it was over the top or offensive, it wasn't funny because it was stupid. Going for shock laughs is stupid...look where that got Kramer.
jord
South Park will never die.
Flaming_Maniac

jord wrote:

But it may become extremely unfunny.
jord

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

jord wrote:

But it may become extremely unfunny.
If it did it would lose ratings and die.

It will be going along with Simpsons for a long time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard