Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire
A lot of people here like to cry and bitch and moan about Muslims rioting over cartoons depicting their God and prophet in insulting and blasphemous ways and complain that many Muslims can't tolerate other people's beliefs and practices alongside that of their own, well...

Riots have broken out in the mixed city of Acre after an Israeli Arab man drove his car during the Yom Kippur religious holiday, Israeli reports say. Dozens of cars and shops were damaged as hundreds of people took to the streets, Haaretz newspaper reported. For Jews, Yom Kippur is a sombre day of fasting, during which it is considered offensive to drive in much of Israel. The Arab man was reportedly attacked by youths who said he was making noise intentionally, the paper said. He is reported to have said he was simply driving to a property he owned in the eastern part of the city.

What's more offensive... driving your car (possibly in a noisy fashion) or depicting a religious figure in insulting and blasphemous ways? This guy is not even a fucking Jew and yet he's expected to respect and follow Jewish tradition on religious holidays? This is more evidence that Israel is something of a quasi-apartheid state.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-10-09 02:51:16)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

That's one example. Gonna need quite a few more to even the balance sheet.

He was attacked by youths. Use the same arguments you have used to defend Muslims doing stupid shit. It's not the religion, it's the people. In this case, punk kids.

And how is it proof that Israel is a quasi-apartheid state? Are the riots over cartoons proof that Denmark is a quasi-apartheid state?

Last edited by FEOS (2008-10-09 02:53:20)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6801|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

He was attacked by youths. Use the same arguments you have used to defend Muslims doing stupid shit. It's not the religion, it's the people. In this case, punk kids.

And how is it proof that Israel is a quasi-apartheid state? Are the riots over cartoons proof that Denmark is a quasi-apartheid state?
In the ME it's all about religion FEOS, doesn't matter if it's Muslims, Jews, Christians or whatever ... they don't do anything without it being tied to religion ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire

FEOS wrote:

I'm not asserting that all Israelis are of the same mind as this gang of yobs, I'm just using it as an example of how a minority group can blacken the name of an entire religion. This group represents a small segment of Israel's Jewish population, likewise the cartoon rioters were a small segment of the Muslim population. Seen as it's okay to tar all Muslims with the cartoon rioter brush why can we not do the same with these Yom Kippur fanatics?

You are right FEOS, it's not the religion, it's the people.

On the issue of apartheid society in Israel, this article suggests that it's almost compulsory for non-Jewish Israelis to follow Jewish customs and practices whether they like it or not... it might not be the official law of the land but it appears to be an implicit societal 'law'. If you combine this with the fact that Palestinians have to drive with different coloured number plates to Jews and if you read some of the rhetoric that the Jewish founding fathers used to come out with one can reasonably assert that Israel appears to be a Jewish state for Jewish people and that all other denominations come second.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-10-09 03:08:43)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Different number plates? Might as well just make them wear crescent moons on their sleeves.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

Flecco wrote:

Different number plates? Might as well just make them wear crescent moons on their sleeves.
Its sad that in their own paranoid quest to avoid a second Holocaust the Israelis are repeating (to a lesser extent) the atrocities the Nazis inflicted on them. Ghettos, segregation, persecution, religious, intolerance...............
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Thankfully they haven't got nutters like Heydrich suggesting a 'final solution to the muslim problem'...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I'm not asserting that all Israelis are of the same mind as this gang of yobs, I'm just using it as an example of how a minority group can blacken the name of an entire religion. This group represents a small segment of Israel's Jewish population, likewise the cartoon rioters were a small segment of the Muslim population. Seen as it's okay to tar all Muslims with the cartoon rioter brush why can we not do the same with these Yom Kippur fanatics?

On the issue of apartheid society in Israel, this article suggests that it's almost compulsory for non-Jewish Israelis to follow Jewish customs and practices whether they like it or not... it might not be the official law of the land but it appears to be an implicit societal 'law'. If you combine this with the fact that Palestinians have to drive with different coloured number plates to Jews and if you read some of the rhetoric that the Jewish founding fathers used to come out with one can reasonably assert that Israel appears to be a Jewish state for Jewish people and that all other denominations come second.
Yeah there are definite aspects of an apartheid society in Israel, with Arabs viewed as second class citizens and subjected to all sorts of (very subtle) legal distinction from Jews. But, I am hopeful for the future in Israel. Olmert has said recently that there will be no peace between Israel and Palestine unless Israel at least pulls back to the 1967 borders, Livni has said she is open to moving Israeli settlers, returning territory and possibly even returning the Palestinians a capital in Jerusalem. These favourably shifting attitudes in the higher echelons of power are a great sign and an Israel with a proper Palestinian state alongside it would clearly be in everyones best interests.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-10-09 04:42:01)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ok lets see, 1 man attacked by a few youths can you say isolated incident. The riots and violence over a cartoon was not isolated to one town with a few youths involved. Add to the fact that we could spend a year posting articles about Islamic intolerance and violence, and it doesn't even have to be about any other than someone not believing as Islam teachs.

Believe me, the second any other relegion acts like Islam does ( oh and I am talking about here and now and not during the fucking crusades) then I will give it its due attention. Until then, Islam holds center stage for violence and intolerance
13rin
+977|6470

Braddock wrote:

A lot of people here like to cry and bitch and moan about Muslims rioting over cartoons depicting their God and prophet in insulting and blasphemous ways and complain that many Muslims can't tolerate other people's beliefs and practices alongside that of their own, well...

Riots have broken out in the mixed city of Acre after an Israeli Arab man drove his car during the Yom Kippur religious holiday, Israeli reports say. Dozens of cars and shops were damaged as hundreds of people took to the streets, Haaretz newspaper reported. For Jews, Yom Kippur is a sombre day of fasting, during which it is considered offensive to drive in much of Israel. The Arab man was reportedly attacked by youths who said he was making noise intentionally, the paper said. He is reported to have said he was simply driving to a property he owned in the eastern part of the city.

What's more offensive... driving your car (possibly in a noisy fashion) or depicting a religious figure in insulting and blasphemous ways? This guy is not even a fucking Jew and yet he's expected to respect and follow Jewish tradition on religious holidays? This is more evidence that Israel is something of a quasi-apartheid state.
Religons are a crock.  Was the cartoonist a Muslim?  If not, then your argument is kinda invaid.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Religons are a crock.  Was the cartoonist a Muslim?  If not, then your argument is kinda invaid.
The cartoonist was not a Muslim... the guy driving the car was not a Jew.

My argument is entirely valid.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6281|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ok lets see, 1 man attacked by a few youths can you say isolated incident. The riots and violence over a cartoon was not isolated to one town with a few youths involved. Add to the fact that we could spend a year posting articles about Islamic intolerance and violence, and it doesn't even have to be about any other than someone not believing as Islam teachs.

Believe me, the second any other relegion acts like Islam does ( oh and I am talking about here and now and not during the fucking crusades) then I will give it its due attention. Until then, Islam holds center stage for violence and intolerance
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7659543.stm

...or maybe it just happens to be 'bash on Israel' day at the BBC?

If you looked past the media frenzy around the cartoon protests and looked at the actual statistics regarding how many Muslims actually came out protesting your argument that it was anything other than a minority incident would fall flat on its face. Less than 1% of the Muslim population of Indonesia (the world's most populous Muslim country) took to the streets to riot or protest.

...And I'm sure I could spend a year posting articles about Israeli heavy-handedness if I really wanted to too.
Lisik
+74|6492|Israel

Braddock wrote:

This is more evidence that Israel is something of a quasi-apartheid state.
Do you know what "W" stands for?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6662|UK
unWelcome.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6348|CA, USA
Akko is a dump!
Lisik
+74|6492|Israel

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Akko is a dump!
Actually not that bad for Crusades city.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6348|CA, USA

Lisik wrote:

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Akko is a dump!
Actually not that bad for Crusades city.
perhaps - i was there in 1998.  there was alot of trash laying around and idle people staring at you as you drove through the neighborhood.  good humus but you pay 3 bucks for a thimblefull of coke because i looked like a american.

haifa is so much better.  i stayed at Le Meridien on the Carmel beach as well as another time at Dan Panorama overlooking the harbor on Mt. Carmel.  there's just something about those Haifa girls though.  9/10 of them are a 9 out of 10.  of course, tel aviv is more happening though. 

sababbah! 
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
acre sounds like the equivalent of liverpool....manchester.....most of up north actually....hastings......ah pretty much everywhere here.

Common local folklore upon visiting hastings is that it seems the battle has never ended, actually it's not folklore it's a fact

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-10-09 15:28:48)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Of course I'm right. Takes you other folks too damn long to figure it out, though.

As to the "tarring all Muslims" thing...you seem to be guilty of the same thing. You seem to be tarring all those who have issue with violent fundamentalist Islam with the same "mooslim haterz" brush. However, there are distinct differences between the situation in the OP and the cartoon BS. For instance, have numerous rabbis come out and called for violence against the man in the car? Have they called for violent protests at car dealerships that sell the type of car he drove?

The violent response to the cartoons was driven, in large part, by the preachings of various imams. This appears to be an incident isolated to a small group of people, not instigated by religious leaders. That is a key difference.

One has to ask: Who were those rioting afterward? Was it the Israeli Jews or the Israeli Arabs? The article implies it was the latter.

Braddock wrote:

Those are far better examples of quasi-apartheid policies than the random actions of a group of kids. However, the apparent disproportionate response by the Arab community in Acre wouldn't appear to lend itself to helping the situation at all.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13rin
+977|6470

Braddock wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The cartoonist was not a Muslim... the guy driving the car was not a Jew.

My argument is entirely valid.
In the aspect that they both need to shut the fuck up.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

How many people died?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13rin
+977|6470

Kmarion wrote:

How many people died?
And how many death orders were called for by prominent religious officials?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6642|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

If you looked past the media frenzy around the cartoon protests and looked at the actual statistics regarding how many Muslims actually came out protesting your argument that it was anything other than a minority incident would fall flat on its face. Less than 1% of the Muslim population of Indonesia (the world's most populous Muslim country) took to the streets to riot or protest.

...And I'm sure I could spend a year posting articles about Israeli heavy-handedness if I really wanted to too.
Yer right Braddock, Islam is full of peace and love and tolerance for non-believers. They treat everyone as equals and can move a society ahead leaps and bounds in all catergories. I don't know what got into me for thinking otherwise. Pass me your blinders so I can be as content as you are.
mikkel
+383|6592
It's easy to remain passive-aggressive when you aren't the ones being dominated and humiliated by a much more powerful foe. For every violent muslim extremist in Palestine, there's a jewish ultranationalist in Israel. Picking sides is getting old, and so is criticising muslim extremism without paying heed to the people fueling the hatred.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6776|Perth, Western Australia

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yer right Braddock, Islam is full of peace and love and tolerance for non-believers. They treat everyone as equals and can move a society ahead leaps and bounds in all catergories. I don't know what got into me for thinking otherwise. Pass me your blinders so I can be as content as you are.
Lowing you pillock I'm put off at the way you dismiss this along the lines of 'well the Muslims are worse so it is alright'. You can't justify any wrong act merely by saying that there was another wrong act of greater magnitude commited that was in no way connected to this.

It's not alright lowing you berk. The paralells between this and how you see Muslims are frightening. Imagine for a second, if you will, that you read a story about a Christian/Jew/Whatever Religion driving through Mashhad who is set upon by a gang of Mulsims for not observing one of their public holidays. This leads to a town wide Muslim v Christian/Jew/Whatever religion riot. You'd be up in arms. 3 D&ST topics (and a topic in Everything Else just for good measure). But don't worry in this cases its the Jews so it's alright. Here, lets do an experiment shall we:

Riots have broken out in the mixed city of Tabriz, reportedly triggered when an Israeli Jewish man was spotted eating in daylight during the Ramadan religious holiday.

Dozens of cars and shops were damaged as hundreds of people took to the streets, Haaretz newspaper reported.

For Muslims, Ramadan is a month of fasting between sunrise and sunset, during which it is considered offensive to eat in much of Iran.

The Israeli man was reportedly attacked by youths who said he was eating intentionally, Haaretz said.

The Israeli man is reported to have said he was simply having lunch as he had not yet eaten that day.

Most of Iran comes to a standstill Ramadan - the holiest day in the Islam calendar.
See, how would that make you feel?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard