Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

A source close to House Republicans has put out a Myth vs Fact rundown of the bailout compromise, announced early this morning.  This may answer some questions that have come up in the comments over the last few days:

Myth:  Windfall for ACORN.

Fact:  The Frank-Dodd proposal created an affordable housing slush fund and directed 20 percent of net benefits from the program to be directed to ACORN-type organizations.  The proposed compromise does not include any affordable housing slush fund and directs all net benefits back to the Treasury to pay down the national debt.

Myth:  Tax increase on financial industry.

Fact:  The proposed compromise imposes NO tax on the financial services industry.  The proposed compromise simply requires a proposal from the Administration to recoup any losses after five years.

Fact:  The proposed compromise includes tax cuts for struggling community banks.

Myth:  Blank check for $700 billion with little accountability.

Fact:  In general, the Treasury Secretary is limited to purchasing up to $250 billion outstanding at any one time.  If the Treasury needs to use another $100 billion, the President must certify this action and report to Congress.  Further spending requires Congressional action.

Myth:  Treasury plan is the only option available.

Fact:  Treasury is given multiple options to deal with the current economic crisis, including insurance, public/private auctions, loan guarantees, and direct support to financial institutions.

Fact:  Further, Treasury is MANDATED to create an insurance program (Section 102) that protects the taxpayers and requires companies that wish to participate in this program to have some skin in the game by paying risk-based premiums.

Myth:  The taxpayer is not adequately protected.

Fact:  The proposed compromise includes strong taxpayer protections.  Treasury’s proposal had minimal oversight to protect taxpayer dollars.  The proposed compromise enhanced the oversight structure by creating a Financial Stability Oversight Board, a Special Inspector General, and a Congressional Oversight Panel.

All AIG-type deals require mandatory equity interest in order to provide taxpayers with potential future benefits.  All auctions require a percentage of equity interest based on participation in the program.

Requires the Secretary to develop regulations/guidelines necessary to prohibit or, in specific cases, manage any conflicts of interest with respect to contractors, advisors, and asset managers.

Myth:  The taxpayer does not benefit from Treasury bailouts.

Fact:  The proposed compromise (Section 113) requires mandatory equity interest in scenarios like AIG.  The proposed compromise also allows Treasury to take an equity interest in the program generally.

Myth:  Treasury will never use the insurance option.

Fact:  Treasury is mandated (Section 102) to establish an insurance program and set risk-based premiums.  This will protect taxpayers by requiring the beneficiaries of the insurance program to pay risk-based premiums.  Treasury further shall collect premiums  mandatory equity interest in scenarios like AIG.  The proposed compromise also allows Treasury to take an equity interest in the program generally.
Will this resolve all of the concerns conservatives have in this plan? No, but it does address some of the most contentious issues. It also shows how much influence that the House Republicans had on the final draft, and for that they can thank John McCain for his intervention.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
Fact: it's not passed yet

Fact: we don't get to vote on it directly

Question: Why do we care until after it gets passed? Then we can start bitching.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6490|Connecticut
This should be good for small business, which in truth powers America like it should. But how will this effect the average homeowner?
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
John 'The fundamentals of our economy are sound' McCain?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Question: Why do we care until after it gets passed? Then we can start bitching.
Add that to the long list of things that we don't vote on directly... like wars.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
deeznutz1245
+483|6490|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam

take your Euro shit out of this thread if you can't go without bashing for one fucking page.
Seriously, go play in the junk drawer with rammunition.
Malloy must go
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85

Kmarion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Add that to the long list of things that we don't vote on directly... like wars.
Oh I've got my picket sign nailed and the paints out...I just don't know what to write on this one yet.

I mean I understand trying to keep informed and writing letters to your representatives to try to keep your voice heard, but there is nothing us low-lifes can do to change the outcome of this bill on such a short notice. In all seriousness, what is the point of even keeping up with the latest versions of the bill, much less arguing about the consequences, until they pass (or not) the real deal?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam

take your Euro shit out of this thread if you can't go without bashing for one fucking page.
I'm just wondering why John McCain is supposed to be so pivotal in all of this. What was his specific importance here? His history of bi-partisanship?
deeznutz1245
+483|6490|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam

I'm just wondering why John McCain is supposed to be so pivotal in all of this. What was his specific importance here? His history of bi-partisanship?
And what was Obama's role? You won't mention him in a negative light, just McCain and Palin. Go find some dirt on Obama, start a few threads about it and then maybe I won't perceive you to be as fair and balanced as a beachball on a tight rope.
Malloy must go
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam he tried and failed to increase accountability with GSE's years ago. Is John McCain pivital now? .. no, The house GOP's can neither block nor pass anything without the Dems.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam he tried and failed to increase accountability with GSE's years ago. Is John McCain pivital now? .. no, The house GOP's can neither block nor pass anything without the Dems.
I have heard of this bill he introduced to the floor several years ago. Why didn't it go to a vote? The Reps had a majority in both houses and the presidency.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-28 16:31:32)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6687|Tampa Bay Florida

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Cam

And what was Obama's role? You won't mention him in a negative light, just McCain and Palin. Go find some dirt on Obama, start a few threads about it and then maybe I won't perceive you to be as fair and balanced as a beachball on a tight rope.
Obama didn't suspend his campaign in order to return to Washington to save his camp--I mean country from the economic crisis.  Then claim that politics has nothing to do with it.

At best, McCain panicked.  At worst, he politicized an already bi-partisan issue by trying to make himself look bi-partisan.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Obama is just a bag of meaningless words and snappy phrases that bends whichever way the wind blows. That good enough for you? He only has one thing going for him: he's not a Republican. That's the sum total of his good points.

PS Who on this planet would assume for a moment that I'm unbiased???????? In the same way that you're through and through Republican I have a bias myself: anything but the Republican party. It's about the lesser of evils.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-28 16:43:26)

deeznutz1245
+483|6490|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Obama is just a bag of meaningless words and snappy phrases that bends whichever way the wind blows. That good enough for you? He only has one thing going for him: he's not a Republican. That's the sum total of his good points.

PS Who on this planet would assume for a moment that I'm unbiased???????? In the same way that you're through and through Republican I have a bias myself: anything but the Republican party. It's about the lesser of evils.
Aren't you Republican? different, I know but the new guys might get confused.
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

https://www.rnw.nl/informarn/assets/images/ira-poster.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I have heard of this bill he introduced to the floor several years ago. Why didn't it go to a vote? The Reps had a majority in both houses and the presidency.

Kmarion wrote:

However it never left the committee. Unfortunately this is mostly due to the fact that Chris Dodd was the ranking member of the Banking Committee (Now it's chairman).
It never made it to the floor.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
deeznutz1245
+483|6490|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

http://www.rnw.nl/informarn/assets/imag … poster.jpg
Where did you get a picture of me standing on my porch Halloween night?
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

However it never left the committee. Unfortunately this is mostly due to the fact that Chris Dodd was the ranking member of the Banking Committee (Now it's chairman).
I looked up that particular bill on one of those voting records sites and it said that it was read twice, the two readings spaced apart by about 6 months. I think it was called S-190 or something.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I looked up that particular bill on one of those voting records sites and it said that it was read twice, the two readings spaced apart by about 6 months. I think it was called S-190 or something.
That's the one. It never made it through the committee. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-190
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

That's the one. It never made it through the committee. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s109-190
You mean the committee democrap Dodd chaired?
SealXo
+309|6533
45% of amercans dont even pay federal tax.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You mean the committee democrap Dodd chaired?
Yes,

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Invest in Lawmakers
#1 Dodd, Christopher J       S       CT       D       $165,400       $48,500       $116,900
Look at number two. http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/09 … eddie.html
Keep in mind that he has only been in Washington for 3 years.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
It is amazing.

They knew Obama was to be anointed and began the contributions.

Even worse is the facts about Dodds actions, or lack thereof and Senator Gramm and the bills mentioned in the sticky.

These people are all in cahoots.

Why are they doing this to us?
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6484|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

ATG wrote:

It is amazing.

They knew Obama was to be anointed and began the contributions.

Even worse is the facts about Dodds actions, or lack thereof and Senator Gramm and the bills mentioned in the sticky.

They only care about keeping their pockets full. That goes for both Republacraps and Democunts.

If they really cared about what happens to the average American, they would have joined together and fixed this shit years ago, but instead, they would rather let the problem get to the point of the economy collapsing in on its self so they can jump in and look like the great white knight.
13rin
+977|6476

ATG wrote:

To keep their power.

All in cahoots?  Kinda....  I see tidbits on the State level, but there is a limit.  The other side is out there and will eventually call shenanigans on them.  Also the press will roast whoever it thinks would make a good headline and right now R's have a giant bullseye on them.  I've talked to a few newspaper reporters that write for papers in my State and have had a few flat out tell me they write non-opinion columns but skewed to their particular opinion in an attempt to inform the masses of their perceived policy flaws.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard