baggs
+732|6197
Good morning and good day to you I got a few questions because i'm going to start building up my new PC tonight, mainly it's about the install procedure and exactly how i should do it.

Am i correct in thinking:

Format hard drive
Create partitions?!
Install XP and service packs (i have an XP SP2 disc, should i bother with SP3?)
Install Mobo / Chipset drivers
Install Graphics drivers
Install Sound card drivers
Connect to Internet and then Critical Updates for Windows?

Then continue with miscelleneous drivers etc etc..? If that order is wrong, please just say in which order you think i should be doing it, if you read my other 'i'm useless please help me' threads then you know this isn't my area at all. Also, at which point should i install my norton, i think i want to stick with it, its caused me little or no problems and moving to any other anti-virus is just a further money sink for me.

Ty for any help
Afroman.exe
Banned
+25|5688|Adelaide, Australia
So far that looks good,

coming from experience i would definately create some partitions  if its jsut xp i would go maybe 10gb so you can install games as well, the other half of the partition would be your data drive.

Always install chipset drivers first, then others like ethernet, video all that,  if you have the machine running and your just doing a reformat then i suggest to make a backup of ur drivers with something like Driver Magician.

Also an important step is to extract any keys from the old machine, real pain when it comes to re-installing and you cant find your keys...i suggest magical bean keyfinder

At work we have started rolling out Service Pack 3, its not a bad things to do and if you get the chance i would install it,
after that i would do a windows updata and update the critical ones, maybe some software ones like root certificates and stuff like that.

Once you got it all running sweet with everything you need its also probably not a bad idea to do create a system restore point that you can always go back to (SP3 creates one anyway)
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
To go higher up your list: Update your bios and run memtest. A fresh xp install will mean nothing if bad memory fucks you up.
baggs
+732|6197
Ok cool, i do have another drive (i have 2 x 160gb SATA) one drive was my system drive and the other held about 10gb of music, nothing more. So i was thinking i'd dump the music on my system drive and start with the storage drive i had for the new install, so once i had everything up and running i'd be able to go back to the old drive and recover anything i needed just in case. So should i still bother with partitions even tho i'll eventually have a system drive and a storage drive?

For what its worth, i don't use this PC for anything critical like work etc...its just recreational gaming (BF2, WoW, Steam and so on...). The easier the install and setup, the better
baggs
+732|6197

mikeyb118 wrote:

To go higher up your list: Update your bios and run memtest. A fresh xp install will mean nothing if bad memory fucks you up.
I checked for BIOS updates, it appears the board is shipped with the latest set, or well, there hasnt been an update. I got memtest somewhere, i never thought to test my new memory, good idea
Afroman.exe
Banned
if ur gonna run memtest might as well run a drive fitness test while ur at it

if you got 2 drive id prob give the partitions a miss, less clutter
baggs
+732|6197

Afroman.exe wrote:

if ur gonna run memtest might as well run a drive fitness test while ur at it

if you got 2 drive id prob give the partitions a miss, less clutter
Awesome, that saves me some hassle. I think i have a drive check programme on the same disc as memtest.

One more thing: Is it a heavily noticeable difference in changing my IDE dvd drive to a SATA dvd drive? Also, on the SATA ports on the board, do i have to connect in any particular order i.e. system drive, storage drive, dvd drive (if i get one)?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6624|Finland

My suggestion is to do the graphics driver installation as soon as XP has been installed (before service pack 2), this will speed up your process as the default driver will bust your nuts at 320x480 (lol, I think it's 600x800 really though), and the refresh rate is at like, 2 (hz/fps/whuddeva).
I need around tree fiddy.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6221|NSW, Australia

i dont like paritions

i dont like sp3 either but it might be better now than it was

it sounds like you have everything under control though
Afroman.exe
Banned
i dont think sata has any preferences like IDE has channels, just plug em anywhere, i always plug my OS HDD in SATA port 0 tho, just incase
Wallpaper
+303|5986|The pool

baggs wrote:

One more thing: Is it a heavily noticeable difference in changing my IDE dvd drive to a SATA dvd drive? Also, on the SATA ports on the board, do i have to connect in any particular order i.e. system drive, storage drive, dvd drive (if i get one)?
I dont think so, but if you have a spare SATA cable it cant hurt. As for SP3, I wouldnt bother. I installed it on my laptop and it introduced some glitches and didnt seem to speed anything up at all.

And you might want to reconsider using Norton... There are free AVs that are WAY better and dont slow your computer to a crawl (and Norton is fucking impossible to completely uninstall from a computer). Some good ones are Avast!, AVG and BitDefender

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=91330&p=1
jaymz9350
+54|6569
I personally don't use partitions since the only thing on the main drive is the OS and apps (storage is on my server).  I tried partitions before and was more of a headache for me than anything.

I don't think it matters what SATA port you use for any of the drives, but I always try and use the first one for the system drive.  I also install the os with only that drive plugged in just to make sure it is the default C drive and I don't accidentally install on or format the wrong drive.
baggs
+732|6197
Yeah i did the install with just the new empty drive in, it all went very smooth, around 3 hours from build to all relevant software installed

I have considered not installing Norton again, it does seem overbearing, i just connected to the internet last night behind my router firewall and updated essential programmes.

As for anti-virus/firewall, is Kaspersky as good as everyone says it is? I don't mind paying for something thats going to be super secure but simple to use and not a system resource hog.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

You really don't need all the active scanners / resident shield. Completely disable your AV from starting and running and manually scan files from shady sources
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
baggs
+732|6197

max wrote:

You really don't need all the active scanners / resident shield. Completely disable your AV from starting and running and manually scan files from shady sources
So continue with Norton or use one of the free anti virus systems and do as you instructed? I've always just been one to install the AV and forget about it.

Last edited by baggs (2008-09-26 06:26:47)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

baggs wrote:

everything's okay alarm Norton
It can't be turned off!

At last count, I think Norton IS had 12 running processes.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
baggs
+732|6197
I looked into Avast, i'll install that tonight, looks like you can't go wrong with that, and it's free.

Should i bother with a firewall programme or just rely on my router?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

First: A software firewall isn't going to protect you from haxors. No-one gives a fuck about you (you aren't a bank or the government man) and they aren't going to persist if your ports are closed or stealth (your router should be set to do this anyway).

Therefore a software firewall only works on the outbound. Not only that, a firewall only works if its really naggy and you pay attention to every message. You also use it to stop certain programs seeing if they're legit or not .

If you feel you need one, DON'T

DON'T

DON'T install Zone Alarm. It is full of Windows Network Stack breaking failness.

A lot of people like Comodo or some crap and there's some other rly popular one I can't remember right now. I personally use Sunbelt (formerly Kerio). It's "limited trial" turns off the extra shit you don't use after 30 days (popup blocker, etc.), the underlying firewall works forever.

Kerio Sunbelt also has "Application wants to launch Application. Cancel or Allow?" if you so want.

It also fucks off fo realziz if you close it in System Tray. I've ran out of uses for it now, so that comes in handy.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

baggs wrote:

max wrote:

So continue with Norton or use one of the free anti virus systems and do as you instructed? I've always just been one to install the AV and forget about it.
I use AVG, mainly because you can tell it to stfu easily and it's free - so I don't need to mess around with cracks

Just use your router as a firewall. If someone were actually able to penetrate that, the software one won't help you either.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6583|Reisterstown, MD

max wrote:

I use AVG, mainly because you can tell it to stfu easily and it's free - so I don't need to mess around with cracks
Amen!
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
Sometimes xp setup locks out USB mouse and keypad, so keep those PS/2 input devices in case you need to retry.
jaymz9350
+54|6569

mikeyb118 wrote:

Sometimes xp setup locks out USB mouse and keypad, so keep those PS/2 input devices in case you need to retry.
I believe it's the motherboard that does that.  there should be a setting something like enable dos usb to allow a usb keyboard in the setup program.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6131|New Jersey

max wrote:

Just use your router as a firewall. If someone were actually able to penetrate that, the software one won't help you either.
Exactly how do you use your router as a firewall?  Like does its presence make it a firewall or are there some settings you need to tweak to make it an effective firewall?
Afroman.exe
Banned
Im pretty sure most new routers come standard as some sort of firewall, but really as long as you keep to safe searching and scan .exe's you download you should be fine. I mean look how many people have a computer connected to the net, the chances that it is your machine gets hacked is fairly low.

All i use is my router as a firewall and AVG as my antivirus and Malwarebytes as my spyware pwner....never had a problem in years and looking back i been to some shady sites lol
baggs
+732|6197

jaymz9350 wrote:

mikeyb118 wrote:

I believe it's the motherboard that does that.  there should be a setting something like enable dos usb to allow a usb keyboard in the setup program.
Indeed, i found exactly those settings in my bios, tho my keyboard is PS/2 my mouse is USB but does appear to work fine, tho i do need to install the Habu driver etc...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard