topal63
. . .
+533|6714
http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/article/ … Can't-Have
If ever there was a car made for the times, this would seem to be it: a sporty subcompact that seats five, offers a navigation system, and gets a whopping 65 miles to the gallon. Oh yes, and the car is made by Ford Motor, known widely for lumbering gas hogs.

Ford's 2009 Fiesta ECOnetic goes on sale in November. But here's the catch: Despite the car's potential to transform Ford's image and help it compete with Toyota Motor and Honda Motor in its home market, the company will sell the little fuel sipper only in Europe. "We know it's an awesome vehicle," says Ford America President Mark Fields. "But there are business reasons why we can't sell it in the U.S." The main one: The Fiesta ECOnetic runs on diesel.

https://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/fi/18/21/00.gif
The ECOnetic will go on sale in November...
... in Europe!!!

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-22 13:23:39)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6728|St. Andrews / Oslo

That's a shame. America could really need an "mpg revolution" imo.

And why can't you use Diesel?

Last edited by Jenspm (2008-09-22 13:26:28)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6667|UK
Dont you guys use diesel or something?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
topal63
. . .
+533|6714
I think I am living in an absurd parody - of an American reality that could or should be.

m3thod wrote:

I had a diesel Volkswagen Rabbit many years ago - it was a very good dependable car.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-22 13:27:49)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6545|UK

I saw a list not so long ago about a bunch of new euro vehicle's that wont see US soil.  The one I was interested in was Volkswagon's Scirocco :\

Martyn
chittydog
less busy
+586|6831|Kubra, Damn it!

I don't see the problem, it's not like you can't get diesel here.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6390|The Gem Saloon

m3thod wrote:

we use diesel....i dont know why that would have an impact.

unless the oil industry and the automotive industry have a deal going on....but that would never happen.

topal63
. . .
+533|6714

chittydog wrote:

I don't see the problem, it's not like you can't get diesel here.
Exactly.

You can get the diesel, just not the car.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6636|Your moms bedroom
ford already makes diesel trucks/vans in the US
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

they sent it to europe for a reason.....they chevy volt.  they knew the volt would pwn that pussy looking car.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York

usmarine wrote:

they sent it to europe for a reason.....they chevy volt.  they knew the volt would pwn that pussy looking car.
QFT

Volt > all. Volt actually looks GOOD.

I don't understand why the variety of "environment/gas efficient" cars look like total shit. Case in point: The Prius. One of, if not the ugliest cars I've ever seen.

And yet there's like a 2 year waiting list for it.

-gag-
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
How come every car that gets excellent MPG rating is always some ugly hatchback? Gas prices aren't yet to the point that I disregard the looks of a car when purchasing (don't worry, though; I won't be buying any cars for a few years )
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6545|UK

Poseidon wrote:

usmarine wrote:

QFT

I don't understand why the variety of "environment/gas efficient" cars look like total shit. Case in point: The Prius. One of, if not the ugliest cars I've ever seen.

-gag-
Somehow I dont think this is anywhere near the volts price range.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6839|Reykjavík, Iceland.
What's with that?

Diesel is cheaper to produce and not as polluting.
topal63
. . .
+533|6714

Bell wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

usmarine wrote:

QFT

-gag-
The volt is good for 40 miles on an electric charge.

This car (ford) gets 65 miles per gallon.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

topal63 wrote:

Bell wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

QFT

-gag-
The volt is good for 40 miles on an electric charge.

This car (ford) gets 65 miles per gallon.
Considering most people drive less than 40 miles to work and back every day, that's good. Means you don't have to pay for gas AT ALL. Or, very few times.

I bet if you calculated it, it'd cost you less (depending on your job location) to own a Volt than it is to own this POS.
topal63
. . .
+533|6714
40 Miles round trip (20 miles one way 20 miles back)... I don't know anyone that actually does that.

Considering I don't (do only 40 round-trip) the volt is an absolute no-go for me. If a car gets 20-25 mpg - this car (ford) is near triple that value (at 65 mpg). That's a pretty damn good deal.

Plus I have one Kid in High School
One in College living at home
Need to run errands...
etc..

40 miles then re-plug or use emergency engine to re-plug - just plain sucks, to me.

It doesn't matter - they are not identical products. Attempts to draw too close of a comparison simply fail to be logical.

I can see a clear difference in market niches.

The volt will come out late 2010 as an electric with a tiny 4-cylinder gas backup engine. It will either be popular or not. If it is there is a good chance many people will end up on a waiting list. So it can only fulfil a segment of the market.

The Ford will debut in November this year. If it had been marketed here it would have had no competition initially from the volt and it may not have even been necessarily a direct competitor anyways. And, if people want a car that gets tremendous mileage together with long distance efficiency on a trip - it certainly would have filled a certain market segment.

The mere fact that an American Industrial Company cannot market a product in it's home market - is a testament to the state of our economic system and government (failings that is). I've personally drawn my own conclusions, draw whatever conclusions you want.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-24 13:59:44)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

topal63 wrote:

40 miles then re-plug or use emergency engine to re-plug - just plain sucks, to me.
40 miles then you use gas.  i see no issue tbh.
topal63
. . .
+533|6714
(Volt) Available end of 2010, which is almost 2 years from now... versus November this year.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

topal63 wrote:

(Volt) Available end of 2010, which is almost 2 years from now... versus November this year.
you can prolly buy it next fall, so i would say 1 to 1.5 years.  but, if you need a new car right now i guess it makes sense.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

topal63 wrote:

40 Miles round trip (20 miles one way 20 miles back)... I don't know anyone that actually does that.

Considering I don't (do only 40 round-trip) the volt is an absolute no-go for me. If a car gets 20-25 mpg - this car (ford) is near triple that value (at 65 mpg). That's a pretty damn good deal.

Plus I have one Kid in High School
One in College living at home
Need to run errands...
etc..

Well, maybe it's different in FL...but on LI, 40 miles would get most people to their job and back.

Or, you could drive 40 miles to your job, go plug it into an outlet while you're working, come out and drive 40 miles back.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England

usmarine wrote:

That's got to be the dumbest reason ever to not sell something, or a car, in a country. If that would be the real reason, then Ford don't deserve to be a business or a company, ever.

I think the real reason might be that it won't pass American safety tests? Cars have to be good at handling Impacts from big things in the US...you know, big SUV's, big Rigs, big....people.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

That's got to be the dumbest reason ever to not sell something, or a car, in a country.
no not really.  why invest in something that will most likely be irrelevant in 2 years?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
And that doesn't apply to the Chevy Volt? Or any other similar cars?

Why would it be irrelevant in 2 years?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

And that doesn't apply to the Chevy Volt? Or any other similar cars?

Why would it be irrelevant in 2 years?
the volt is electric.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard