Hard Disk   
Seagate - ST3500320AS 320GB 7200rpm

Optical Drive   
Lite-On - DH-20A4P(BLACK) (x2)

Case   
Cooler Master - RC-534-KKN2

Power Supply   
Corsair Micro - CMPSU-620HX 620W

Comments? Good? Bad? Compatability? Can I get better without blowing the budget or less (btw this comes out to just under $1500 australian - would like to keep it under $1800)

Last edited by Spark (2008-09-18 00:24:09)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Moist.Niek
+11|5954
Get an aTi HD4870 maybe an X2
If youre gaming get a E8400 and OC the shit out of it.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Money, and I don't really want a dual-core GPU.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Moist.Niek
+11|5954
then get a Ati HD4870
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Will it make that much of a difference? From all I've seen they cost about the same and their performance is pretty much the same...

The reason I went with the gtx is because from the places I've been looking at it's a bit cheaper (like thirty bucks cheaper - nothing huge, but I really can't pick between them on performance. Mind you, I'm no expert)

Now: looking at more reviews, it seems the gtx is better at dx10 while the ati is better at dx9. I'll stick with the gtx for now.

Last edited by Spark (2008-09-18 03:22:43)

~ Richard Feynman
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

Spark wrote:

Will it make that much of a difference? From all I've seen they cost about the same and their performance is pretty much the same...

The reason I went with the gtx is because from the places I've been looking at it's a bit cheaper (like thirty bucks cheaper - nothing huge, but I really can't pick between them on performance. Mind you, I'm no expert)

Now: looking at more reviews, it seems the gtx is better at dx10 while the ati is better at dx9. I'll stick with the gtx for now.
Look up some reviews on www.tomshardware.com. The Ati Radeon 4870 outperforms the GTX260 and last time I checked the ati card is actually cheaper. Also you said you do not want a dual-core processor, yet those are better for gaming and the you can literally OC the shit out of the E8400. You can get it to 3.6 with ease and change the voltages a bit and you will have 4.0 no probs.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

If you are certain you want Nvidia, pick the EVGA core126 version of GTX260. Otherwise it's definite ati in my opinion, unless the HD4870's really are more expensive there. Odd though, they should be a lot cheaper.

And that motherboard is DDR3, get P5E, not P5E3
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

RDMC wrote:

Spark wrote:

Look up some reviews on www.tomshardware.com. The Ati Radeon 4870 outperforms the GTX260 and last time I checked the ati card is actually cheaper. Also you said you do not want a dual-core processor, yet those are better for gaming and the you can literally OC the shit out of the E8400. You can get it to 3.6 with ease and change the voltages a bit and you will have 4.0 no probs.
You misread, I don't want a dualcore GPU. BTW, I'm looking for longevity, not top-of-the-line right now.

DeathUnlimited wrote:

If you are certain you want Nvidia, pick the EVGA core126 version of GTX260. Otherwise it's definite ati in my opinion, unless the HD4870's really are more expensive there. Odd though, they should be a lot cheaper.

See, this is where I wanted an opinion on compatability: I was looking at the P5E until I saw the asus site which says the processor is incompatible with that mobo.

And as for the ati: exactly the same price as the nvidia. But just to clarify: gtx280 > HD4870 > gtx260?

You see my inexperience coming through here...

Last edited by Spark (2008-09-19 03:06:21)

~ Richard Feynman
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Spark wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

See, this is where I wanted an opinion on compatability: I was looking at the P5E until I saw the asus site which says the processor is incompatible with that mobo.

And as for the ati: exactly the same price as the nvidia. But just to clarify: gtx280 > HD4870 C gtx260?

HD4870X2 > GTX280 > HD4870 = GTX260 core216 > GTX260

And Q6600 should work on P5E without any problems.

As another note, if you want to overclock or keep the system more silent, I'd consider an aftermarket cooler for the CPU (Some hints here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu … 967-8.html) and possibly to the GPU (Accelero S1 + 80mm fan)

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-19 05:50:08)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6519|UK

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Spark wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

And as for the ati: exactly the same price as the nvidia. But just to clarify: gtx280 > HD4870 C gtx260?

HD4870X2 > GTX280 > HD4870 = GTX260 core216 > GTX260

And Q6600 should work on P5E without any problems.

As another note, if you want to overclock or keep the system more silent, I'd consider an aftermarket cooler for the CPU (Some hints here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu … 967-8.html) and possibly to the GPU (Accelero S1 + 80mm fan)
Indeed.  Strange that they say there is an incompatibilty, as there shouldnt be.  Does it actually say that or are you guessing that is what it means?

Martyn
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6641

RDMC wrote:

Also you said you do not want a dual-core processor, yet those are better for gaming and the you can literally OC the shit out of the E8400. You can get it to 3.6 with ease and change the voltages a bit and you will have 4.0 no probs. [/color]
He is spot on.  Dual cores kick the hell outa quad for gaming period.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/e85 … ,2010.html

If you also do video edit / transcoding and things of that nature.  The 6600 is a good chip and the new stepping is a lot easier to OC.  Just get a good sink.  Thermlerights ultra 120 I highly recommend.

You have a good build there.  Have fun.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Stealth42o wrote:

RDMC wrote:

Also you said you do not want a dual-core processor, yet those are better for gaming and the you can literally OC the shit out of the E8400. You can get it to 3.6 with ease and change the voltages a bit and you will have 4.0 no probs. [/color]

If you also do video edit / transcoding and things of that nature.  The 6600 is a good chip and the new stepping is a lot easier to OC.  Just get a good sink.  Thermlerights ultra 120 I highly recommend.

Yes, but what about in a year's time or so? That's what I'm worried about.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Spark wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

RDMC wrote:

All you can really do is to avoid bleeding-edge and buy mid-high parts. Then you hope for the best, knowing that Nehalem will make a monkey out of your rig when the time comes that >2-core CPU's really shine in gaming and that you probably won't be able to max out new games within a couple of years.

As for video cards, think about the games you play, look for benchmark results on the cards you're considering, and take a look at driver stability. This is one of the most important parts to not skimp on for longevity. My 6800 Ultra was acquired for a bit of a premium, but it has lasted me a terribly long time.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-09-19 18:53:46)

Stealth42o
+175|6641

Spark wrote:

Yea I hear yea bro.  On the other hand, in a year, the 6600 will be VERY cheap is you want to upgrade.  I am not holding my breath that gaming developers get on the ball with quad cores.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scali … rocessors/

Very good read.  6-8-12 cores are in the near future.  So really, who knows.  What I do know is you cannot go wrong with dual core.  I would hate for you to get the quad and HATE the performance with 95% of the games.  Take that quad, cut the performance in half, and that what your running.

However a lot of people run quad's so really it's up to you.  I build a lot of computers and if they are strictly gaming, only duo are used.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

As for video cards, think about the games you play, look for benchmark results on the cards you're considering, and take a look at driver stability. This is one of the most important parts to not skimp on for longevity. My 6800 Ultra was acquired for a bit of a premium, but it has lasted me a terribly long time.
That's why I stick with Nvidia.  Yes the ATI cards do bench better then Nvidia.  However goto any forums dedicated to hardware.  You will see TONS of post trying to get drivers and games to work with the ATI cards.

ATI cards are a bit quicker, however no one will argue that the Nvidia cards are leaps and bounds more stable.

Last edited by Stealth42o (2008-09-19 19:07:32)

Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Spark wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

All you can really do is to avoid bleeding-edge and buy mid-high parts. Then you hope for the best, knowing that Nehalem will make a monkey out of your rig when the time comes that >2-core CPU's really shine in gaming and that you probably won't be able to max out new games within a couple of years.

From what I've heard, ATi is a bit more reliable. This card itself (9600PRO) has performed way beyond my expectations: it could, for a while, run WiC on medium and can run CoD4 smoothly at a low resolution despite not being 'supported'.

So I go with the 4870, yes - is "Sapphire" a good brand?

EDIT: Just reading the post above, retract above statement. Help?

Another thing: I've never overclocked before, just how easy is it to do? How big are the risks?

Last edited by Spark (2008-09-19 19:12:45)

~ Richard Feynman
Stealth42o
+175|6641

Spark wrote:

Another thing: I've never overclocked before, just how easy is it to do? How big are the risks?[/b]
To be fair, they have made a lot of improvements in there catalyst drivers.  It's the age old debate Nvidia vs ATI, intell vs AMD.

Overclocking is not that difficult.  You absolutely need good cooling.

overclock.net

Read the stickies and that will give you a solid base to work with.  As far as cooling, you got air and water (And TEC and liquid nitrogen but lets not get crazy.)

Lets stick with air.

The champ is still the Thermleright 120
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ … VzaWFzdA==

This thing is HUGE (You going to need a full tower case to get it to clear), however people can easily reach high overclocks with good temps.  If your interested in fiddling with OC'ing, don't skimp on cooling or your in for some trouble.

I just did a build with an AMD 6400+ witht his heatsink.  He was getting 130 idle 190 load before, after installing the 120, 105 idle 140 load.  Huge difference (I do not recall what his OC was)

As far as video cards, Thermleright again has some outstanding heatsinks and would recommend them as well.

If this is your first time OC'ing.  Stick with the CPU at first till you get a good grasp on it.  Oc'ing gpu's is VERY easy and the stock coolers do a good job.  Rivatuner is a great program, lots of tweaks.

Again head to overclock.net and browse around.  Sign up, and after you pick your hardware, see what they say.

Last edited by Stealth42o (2008-09-19 19:26:09)

Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Okedoke. I'll buy it (if I buy it) based on the assumption that I won't OC but with the capacity to (i.e. with CPU/GPU coolers) then I'll head over and see what they say.

As for the video card thing: I've read around and can't tell the difference, some say the 260 is slightly better, some say the 4870. I'll go with the 260 based on the reliability thingy, since that's my primary concern atm.

BTW: If I get the thermalright 120, could you recommend a good but cheap case?

Last edited by Spark (2008-09-19 19:53:01)

~ Richard Feynman
Stealth42o
+175|6641

Spark wrote:

Okedoke. I'll buy it (if I buy it) based on the assumption that I won't OC then I'll head over and see what they say.

As for the video card thing: I've read around and can't tell the difference, some say the 260 is slightly better, some say the 4870. I'll go with the 260 based on the reliability thingy, since that's my primary concern atm.

BTW: If I get the thermalright 120, could you recommend a good but cheap case?
Case options are endless. 

It really comes down to what you like.

Go here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … rder=PRICE

Full tower cases listed from low to high in prices.  Find what you like and read the customer reviews.  That will give you a solid idea of what to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811133154

I have used this case in a build and liked it a lot.  I bit heavy, but a lot of room to work with and great cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811119138

Another very popular case, a little more on the pricey side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811129043

Same
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
The parts will be coming from here: scorptec.com.au
~ Richard Feynman
DUnlimited
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

As a matter of fact I am currently pretty sick of Nvidia drivers and I hear the new ATI catalyst drivers are working a lot better. However, in the ATI vs Nvidia question the main thing to consider is CUDA/physx. If you want them and need them, go Nvidia. If not, go ATI. ATI cards just are better for the price at the moment. Besides that P5E motherboard supports ATI crossfire and leaves you easy room to upgrade graphics by adding any ATI HD card in later. Be it another 4870, a 4870X2, or one from the new series in due time, 5870.
And if you decide go Nvidia GTX260, go GTX260 core216 unless it's riduculously priced. It is more powerful than the original and should be pretty even with 4870. Going Nvidia you might also want to change the motherboard to something SLI capable, or to a P45 board since you won't need the dual x16 crossfire PCI-E slots of X38. Something like ASUS P5Q is a good choice in that case.

Just my two cents on the video card question.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

Spark wrote:

scorptec.com.au
That's a domain name I approve of.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Okay, so I swapped out the P5E3 for a P5E Deluxe, and added a Thermalright 120-Ultra and a Thermalright HR-03 to the list.
~ Richard Feynman
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

You need a bigger hard drive. Better speed for less money. Remember, bigger = faster. A 500+ GB drive will perform better and cost hardly any more, I'd get this. Also, I'd go for a Q9450 (big chunk more money, but so worth it).

That should stay within your budget and be a better machine.
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5783

Bertster7 wrote:

You need a bigger hard drive. Better speed for less money. Remember, bigger = faster. A 500+ GB drive will perform better and cost hardly any more, I'd get this. Also, I'd go for a Q9450 (big chunk more money, but so worth it).

That should stay within your budget and be a better machine.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Done and done. I upgraded the case too, to an Antec Nine Hundred.

I do hope I have enough power, though.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard