Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands
Hi,
I just put 4x1gb of 800mhz Geil ram in my pc, used to have 2x512mb, and my pc uses about 700mb of the ram and almost 80% of the CPU at all time.
What's going wrong?

2.8ghz pentium 4
4gb 800mhz ram
xp32bits
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

Ultimatrox wrote:

2.8ghz pentium 4
That's what's going wrong.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Ultimatrox wrote:

2.8ghz pentium 4
So, basically, it slows my whole pc down more than when i had the 1gb?
Defiance
+438|6669

Ultimatrox wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Ultimatrox wrote:

2.8ghz pentium 4
So, basically, it slows my whole pc down more than when i had the 1gb?
I've heard people say that using 4 GB of RAM in a 32 bit system makes it slower then before the 'upgrade.'

Quick heads up: 32 bit systems such as that proc and OS can't address more then about 3.5 gigs of RAM.

Try it with 2 gigs in there. You'll need a 64 bit proc and OS before 4 gigs will do anything.
jaymz9350
+54|6576
Well it seems something is eating up resorces on your pc unrelated to the 4gb of ram.  700mb seems high for XP at idle unless you have alot of startup programs.  You need to find out whats using you cpu all the time, sounds like some spy/adware.
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands

jaymz9350 wrote:

Well it seems something is eating up resorces on your pc unrelated to the 4gb of ram.  700mb seems high for XP at idle unless you have alot of startup programs.  You need to find out whats using you cpu all the time, sounds like some spy/adware.
any advice on spy/adware removal? i was only running msn and firefox btw

Last edited by Ultimatrox (2008-09-17 13:26:23)

Defiance
+438|6669

Ultimatrox wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

Scan with an anti virus program?

Check the task manager for what's taking up so much CPU?

Acknowledge you read my post because otherwise you're wasting money?
mikkel
+383|6600

Ultimatrox wrote:

jaymz9350 wrote:

Those 80% would account for your CPU wasting cycles worrying about how it went out of date two years ago. Like a hardware mid-life crisis. Check out this for removal of pesky applications.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

Try with 3GB.

And, as always: Reformat.

A reformat solves everything.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
mikkel
+383|6600

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Try with 3GB.

And, as always: Reformat.

A reformat solves everything.
Except this:

Ultimatrox wrote:

2.8ghz pentium 4
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands
what do you guys recommend me to do, except for reformatting?
mikkel
+383|6600
Well, reformatting will cure what ailes you in the software department. As far as hardware goes, there may be a few very cheap upgrade paths for you if you shed some more light on the specifics of your current setup.
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands

mikkel wrote:

Well, reformatting will cure what ailes you in the software department. As far as hardware goes, there may be a few very cheap upgrade paths for you if you shed some more light on the specifics of your current setup.
I have an budget of about 300euro, what would be the best i could get for that?
mikkel
+383|6600

Ultimatrox wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Can't tell you without knowing at least what kind of motherboard you've got in your system.
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands

mikkel wrote:

Ultimatrox wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Can't tell you without knowing at least what kind of motherboard you've got in your system.
Asus P5LD2 http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3& … odelmenu=1
old mobo, but don't want to upgrade my whole mobo, just get the max out of this one.
jaymz9350
+54|6576
Well it says it can accept a core 2 duo but possibly only the older ones which would be the best upgrade.
Ultimatrox
+38|6231|Netherlands

jaymz9350 wrote:

Well it says it can accept a core 2 duo but possibly only the older ones which would be the best upgrade.
So no E8400 for me?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

Ultimatrox wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Ultimatrox wrote:

Asus P5LD2 http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3& … odelmenu=1
old mobo, but don't want to upgrade my whole mobo, just get the max out of this one.
Check what Revision your board is. Only 2.0 and newer take core2. (Is what it says on the site, but I think any version should take a 800FSB Core2)
Then it would be the best choice to get a 800FSB 65nm Core2duo (E2xxx/E4x00) and an aftermarket cooler and overclock it to something decent.

Oh and I call dibs on the P4, I need one :p

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-17 16:36:59)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Laura
your girlfriend a freak like cirque du soleil
+149|5829|u fucking wot m8
What operating system are you running?

If it's XP, I think it has a limit of 3GB of ram, Whereas Vista has a 4GB.

Dunno. Google it.
https://i52.tinypic.com/98cz7p.png
Defiance
+438|6669

Laura wrote:

Dunno. Google it.
Oh christ, read the thread.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6196|Winland

Laura
your girlfriend a freak like cirque du soleil
+149|5829|u fucking wot m8

Defiance wrote:

Laura wrote:

Dunno. Google it.
Oh christ, read the thread.
Misread. My bad
https://i52.tinypic.com/98cz7p.png
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6577|Columbus, OH

mikkel wrote:

Ultimatrox wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Listen to this guy. Some old mobo (Asus) do not recognize 4GB of RAM or operate slower than normal.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)

Defiance wrote:

Quick heads up: 32 bit systems such as that proc and OS can't address more then about 3.5 gigs of RAM.
Please read one of my many other posts in these very forums explaining in great detail why ALL 32bit systems CAN and DO address upto 4GB - you may not see that magic number 4, but that doesn't mean it can't handle 4GB.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Please read one of my many other posts in these very forums explaining in great detail why ALL 32bit systems CAN and DO address upto 4GB - you may not see that magic number 4, but that doesn't mean it can't handle 4GB.
Adding that you do not see the magical 4 because the OS addresses some of the memory to other components too, mainly to the video card.

And 64-bit OS's can support huge, huge abounts of memory. 64-bit Vista's just have software level limits ranging from 4 to 128GB.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard