liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6633|UK

FatherTed wrote:

weight, and my PC is being shipped
They're not that heavy.

What about packing it in your main luggage when you fly, then?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

liquidat0r wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

They're not that heavy.

ive seen what they do to main baggage when it goes in the hold...
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mikkel
+383|6608

FatherTed wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

They're not that heavy.

ive seen what they do to main baggage when it goes in the hold...
Definitely do not put it in your checked baggage. Might as well tie it to the back of a train. Like I said, I've had my PSU in my checked bag, and my parts in carry on whenever I've had them with me, but that's been transatlantic and domestic US, and I don't know about Ryanair.
csmag
+92|6453|Canada

Gooners wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

well atm i have 2 HD's, PSU (all aforementioned is going on la plane with me for weight reasons), the 4850, CPU fan, CPU (although thats pretty well held by the board obv, and thats about it.

Should i take the CPU out?

And will this mean fucking around setting my pc up again?

And is it true that airport scanners can wipe HDs, so would my HD's be at risk on the plane?

And is pissydon a jew?
Just pray the UK hasn't done the same thing as the US and let airport security search your HD's.
I brought my Laptop with me to LA/Vegas, and they didn't even ask me to turn it on, though they did asked me to take it out.

Must be a random thing.
It is totally random as in if you're not white, you get your hd searched.

And no Ted, The airport scanners won't wipe your hard drives. My lappy has been through them on countless occasions.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6713|67.222.138.85
STATIC BAGS STATIC BAGS STATIC BAGS

I have to assume you were not going to put the cards you took out in static bags and were just going to put them in bubble wrap, which would be a very bad idea. You MUST put them in static bags if you're going to take them out.

Honestly I bet everything would be fine as it is if you pack your case in well. If you have a bigass heatsink (Zalman CN9500 or the like) then maybe take that off, a stock would b e fine. Maybe take your hard drives out, maybe take your cards out, personally I would probably leave them in. If your computer is going to survive at all those should be secure enough to be fine.
mikkel
+383|6608

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I have to assume you were not going to put the cards you took out in static bags and were just going to put them in bubble wrap, which would be a very bad idea. You MUST put them in static bags if you're going to take them out.

Honestly I bet everything would be fine as it is if you pack your case in well. If you have a bigass heatsink (Zalman CN9500 or the like) then maybe take that off, a stock would b e fine. Maybe take your hard drives out, maybe take your cards out, personally I would probably leave them in. If your computer is going to survive at all those should be secure enough to be fine.
Have you seen how ground crew handle baggage? The last time I flew out of EWR, the guy manning the bag roller not only slammed most bags down onto the roller over his head, but also hit a number of them to make completely sure that they were dead. I wouldn't recommend anyone trusting fragile equipment to airport baggage loaders.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum
ya i kept the static bag for my gpu
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6713|67.222.138.85

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Have you seen how ground crew handle baggage? The last time I flew out of EWR, the guy manning the bag roller not only slammed most bags down onto the roller over his head, but also hit a number of them to make completely sure that they were dead. I wouldn't recommend anyone trusting fragile equipment to airport baggage loaders.
Let's put it this way, I have a case that is worth about as much as any one of the components inside. If I was forced to ship my PC I would just package the fuck out of the box, remove the CPU heatsink and be done with it.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6506|so randum

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Let's put it this way, I have a case that is worth about as much as any one of the components inside. If I was forced to ship my PC I would just package the fuck out of the box, remove the CPU heatsink and be done with it.
plus my bags will be full of clothes and other stuff ill need. wont be room for a tower case, monitor, surround sound (4 sats, 1 header, sub, control unit) joystick, lots of cables etc.

shipping works out as £25 and they throw in contents insurance
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard