Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
I think a lot of people are on the fence about this game, judging by the number of questions I get over xfire when I fire it up. Here are my thoughts after 16 hours of the game.

You should note that so far I have played highly aggressively, not making any friends until it was practically necessary in space stage. Touchy-feely pussies might find more dimensions to the game.

This game is not for the average foamin-at-the-mouth fps/rts 1337 twitchy computer gamer. It is not a game with a whole lot of strategy (at least on normal) and there isn't a lot of depth to the strategic aspect of the game at any level. I have played flash games that were more intense than the cell stage, tribal and civilization stage are shallow at best when it comes to tactics, and no problem is too great in creature or space stage that a kick some dirt at the kid, run back to mommy, rinse repeat strategy can't overcome. The graphics are not bad, but nothing to write home about, and there is no obvious style that would make me think the graphics direction was intentional à la TF2. The controls are fairly clumsy throughout the game, and there is not a very high level of customization that could make the controls much better in my opinion. In the civilization stage I nearly shat my pants at how slowly the camera moves, it would be absolutely unacceptable in any game that marketed itself as an RTS.

So what is good about it? What are people raving about? Well obviously people know about the creature creator. There is immense fun in making a phallic shape with legs and a huge gaping jaw and then devouring other creatures with it, plain and simple. Even taking a more "serious" approach and coming up with something original, it's very fun and very intuitive to make your own creature with three mouths and lobster claws. The strange part is that this occupies a very small portion of the game. Cell stage passes in the blink of an eye, and creature stage doesn't take more than an hour or two. Maybe it would get boring if it was longer, but it seems to me that one of the widely advertised and best stages in the game got mostly left on the cutting room floor. Of course you can always just go back and design creatures, but considering I thought the game was primarily about doing that, I was suprised and disappointed that it ended so abruptly.

Then you get tossed into the tribal civilization stage. Anything you design after this point is completely worthless, and in some cases even a nuisance in my opinion. You have to design clothing for your creature that does nothing but muddle it up, but you feel compelled to because it gives them some sort of bonus in tribal stage. In civilization you are designing your air, land, and naval units that you never really get to see up close, and designing your buildings is an incredibly boring task. It effects absolutely nothing, and it's a fucking building. I don't care. My penis monster was fun to make, and then I got to see it stomp around and shit, but now what am I supposed to do? Penis smokestacks? Even your spaceship, essentially your avatar for the rest of the game, you never get to see in any detail and has no level of differentiation between the parts you use. Designing in the latter part of the game becomes more of a chore rather than a game play element, which is dissapointing because you have this really great and easy to use editor, but then every time it tells you to make something you know a white sphere will work just as well as a badass star destroyer with missile racks and teeth painted on.

Space stage is like playing a Risk mmorpg by yourself. It's fun, I like it so far, but considering it is just a MASSIVELY longer section of the game comparatively it's kinda meh. I would rather all of this effort have gone into making the other stages better than copy-pasting sectors of stars a couple hundred times to make a massive yet samey experience. I thought much better of the stage maybe 3 hours ago, but now that I have a hang of pretty much all the aspects I realize that you could spend another 1600 hours in this stage without visiting every planet, and yet have not a single new experience compared to the last 8 hours.

Overall? It's a good game. It has its problems, and it does not seem adequately play tested. The original concept carries it through though, and in the end it just leaves me thinking about how freakin awesome Spore 2 could be if they fix all the minor shit that bogs this one down. If you can amuse yourself with single player titles and can go without smacking someone with your e-dick for a few hours it is definitely worth the buy, if nothing else for the novelty. I think it will be a good title to sit down on a Saturday morning and make a ten eyed monster when other games get old and you need something less serious, but I don't think it's a game you can play exclusively for any more than 25 hours max. That is unless you can occupy yourself with a can of play-doh for hours, in which case you already own this game and are only reading this post because you got lost on your way to the Spore editor.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6437|Brisbane, Australia

I am yet to play it, so I will see if I agree when I do.

Good honest review.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL
I have to agree, but the game is still highly addicting.  The RTS elements of the game do become somewhat more sophisticated for a non-militaristic race, however, since you can't always fall back on overwhelming brute force to get your way.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

S.Lythberg wrote:

I have to agree, but the game is still highly addicting.  The RTS elements of the game do become somewhat more sophisticated for a non-militaristic race, however, since you can't always fall back on overwhelming brute force to get your way.
To me that is where it seems it hasn't been play tested though. I would have thought that the three doctrines would have been balanced, but it seems that going through those stages militarily is much easier.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6772|Noizyland

Honest review. You know I reckon a few things would make the editors better - a limitless mode. Just a mode which had absolutely everything, no size limits, to complication limits, every item avaliable - the monsterous creations wouldn't be usable in-game but it would still be awesome.

Oh, and the Creature Creator should have a versus mode; putting one creature against another in a "build you own Pokemon" type thing.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

I'd like more of a link between the stages of evolution.

Cell stage doesn't determine anything about your creature other than carnivore, herbivore and from that point on you can totally redesign your creature if you want to.

Space stage is a lot of fun. It's like Master of Orion is many ways, except more rts. I'd like the ability to build a fleet of ships, as allying for a few buddies is annoying when they die so often.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I haven't even gotten it yet but my opinion's being swayed by the DRM.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
GJ FM, ur my newest hero.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5994|Belgium
I have a question that may be unrelated but how do you become a successful omnivore ?
I tried hanging on to the omnivore cell stage mouth but it doesn't give you anymore omni mouths....
How can I remain an omnivore?
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6400|dm_maidenhead

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

I have a question that may be unrelated but how do you become a successful omnivore ?
I tried hanging on to the omnivore cell stage mouth but it doesn't give you anymore omni mouths....
One way would to be new game (click on new planet)>creature stage>omnivore
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6841|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

I believe you need to eat vegetables as well as meat with your cell mouths on creature stage, then you can unlock omnivore mouths.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Click on the editable plants while in creature stage once you first leave the water, but also eat some other creatures.

You are then given the option for an omnivore mouth with enough dna points I think.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5994|Belgium

Sydney wrote:

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

I believe you need to eat vegetables as well as meat with your cell mouths on creature stage, then you can unlock omnivore mouths.
Thats just the thing, as soon as I "mount" the proboscopis(?) I can't eat anymore meat (if I chose herbi) and can't eat any plant if i chose carni

I want to be able to eat everything there is .
And Omni's have cooler mouthes

Last edited by Hope_is_lost117 (2008-09-15 03:51:22)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6458|UK
This review is spot on I side with it entirely.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6287|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

Thats just the thing, as soon as I "mount" the proboscopis(?) I can't eat anymore meat (if I chose herbi) and can't eat any plant if i chose carni

I want to be able to eat everything there is .
And Omni's have cooler mouthes
you don't eat meat, you just suck the life out of other creatures

or you could go creative and start as either carni or herbi, and find the sweet spot near the front where you can essentially have a carnivore mouth and an herbivore mouth one on top of the other
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Brasso
+1,549|6628

Space is very long huh?  I saved at it last night, today I'll play through it.  But although the Civ camera is slow, there's a nice way to get around it - just double click on the minimap.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France
Is it worth the $80 price tag?
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6700

Ty wrote:

Oh, and the Creature Creator should have a versus mode; putting one creature against another in a "build you own Pokemon" type thing.
They're probably saving that for the million of expansion packs that will definately come out all priced £30.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL

Pug wrote:

Is it worth the $80 price tag?
its worth the $50, i wouldnt go for the uber-edition

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard