Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
So yesterday when I got home from school I turned on my computer, then laid on my bed and kicked off my shoes...one of which hit my monitor.

So now it's fucked up. When I turn it on it's grey and white, then a bunch of white bars appear, then some rainbow "strings" up and down it, then it goes blank (black)

It's a Dell 2405FPW (Digital), any way to fix it without having to buy a new one or send it to a pro who could fix it for more money than it would cost to buy a new one?

edit: pics

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/DoctaStrangelove/moniteroff.jpg

That's what it looks like when it's off. As you can see, no exterior damage whatsoever.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/DoctaStrangelove/moniteron.jpg

But that's what happens when I turn it on. The screen is all fucked-up. White and grey mostly.

Last edited by DoctaStrangelove (2008-09-15 15:14:32)

chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

So yesterday when I got home from school I turned on my computer, then laid on my bed and kicked off my shoes...one of which hit my monitor.

So now it's fucked up. When I turn it on it's grey and white, then a bunch of white bars appear, then some rainbow "strings" up and down it, then it goes blank (black)

It's a Dell 2405FPW (Digital), any way to fix it without having to buy a new one or send it to a pro who could fix it for more money than it would cost to buy a new one?
Monitors usually cost more to fix than replace. Sorry for the bad news, but I bet you'll be more careful kicking off your shoes in the future.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

Nah smashed screens are as good as no monitor at all, unless you can find a spare panel on eBay which is unlikely, they're easy to fit if you do find one.

chittydog wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Monitors usually cost more to fix than replace. Sorry for the bad news, but I bet you'll be more careful kicking off your shoes in the future.
Actually you can repair a power fault for about £1.50, I do frequently, good second income well... 3rd, 2nd is web design lol.

Damaged panels are a whole other issue though.

EDIT:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

It's a long shot but post a photo of it, if you're seriously lucky you migt have just knocked the ribbon cable out a bit, it'd be a miracle but they do happen lol.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-09-12 14:17:12)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Nah smashed screens are as good as no monitor at all, unless you can find a spare panel on eBay which is unlikely, they're easy to fit if you do find one.

chittydog wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Actually you can repair a power fault for about £1.50, I do frequently, good second income well... 3rd, 2nd is web design lol.

EDIT:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

It's a long shot but post a photo of it, if you're seriously lucky you migt have just knocked the ribbon cable out a bit, it'd be a miracle but they do happen lol.
The screen isn't smashed. It looks prefectly fine unit you turn it on, and the LCD is all fucked up.

How would I be able to tell what it is though? I kinda would like to fix it myself as I am at lack of funds, and I need my monitor to work in order to procure aforementioned funds.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

chittydog wrote:

EDIT:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

The screen isn't smashed. It looks prefectly fine unit you turn it on, and the LCD is all fucked up.

How would I be able to tell what it is though? I kinda would like to fix it myself as I am at lack of funds, and I need my monitor to work in order to procure aforementioned funds.
Open up, look around, see if you find any loose cable.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469
Well I tried to open it up but I couldn't figure out how. There were four screws on the back but taking them out didn't do anything. It's a Dell 2405 FPW, if anyone knows how to open one of those up, I'd greatly appreciate it.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

Seriously post a picture of it, you can damage the screen without it looking obviously damaged. Wont know til we see it, I'll look for a service manual for it for you in the mean time.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

Seriously post a picture of it, you can damage the screen without it looking obviously damaged. Wont know til we see it, I'll look for a service manual for it for you in the mean time.
Did that.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/DoctaStrangelove/moniteroff.jpg

That's what it looks like when it's off. As you can see, no exterior damage whatsoever.

https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m182/DoctaStrangelove/moniteron.jpg

But that's what happens when I turn it on. The screen is all fucked-up. White and grey mostly.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

I think it's broken.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
Panels fucked.  Needs replacing.

Ring dell, warranty etc?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

m3thod wrote:

Ring dell, warranty etc?
I've had it since 2005. No way the warranty is still active.
Defiance
+438|6672

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Ring dell, warranty etc?
Well, then you might look in to a new monitor.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6723|Oregon
my dell monitor came with a 3-year replacement. not sure when in 2005 you got it, but yea.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Ring dell, warranty etc?
Looks more like a fucked connection than a fucked panel.

Cracked panels look more like this:
https://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7697/dsc01579qy6.jpg

Just hope it's not the hardwired end of the signal cable that is damaged Pull it apart and you should see either a ribbon cable or a bunch of 30 or so wires with a thin flat connector on the end, that goes directly from the metal casing of the tft panel into the box with the powerboard and whatnot, make sure it's connected firmly, pull it out and shove it back in again to make sure, sometimes they look fine but have actually skipped across slightly and are sending crossed signals.

Nothing to lose by having a go.

EDIT:

Would I be right in thinking your shoe hit around where that large dark patch it near the top slightly left of centre? If so you wont get rid of that mark, you might get a picture back on it though, but it'd still have the pressure mark.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-09-16 09:22:08)

Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Ring dell, warranty etc?
Looks more like a fucked connection than a fucked panel.

Cracked panels look more like this:
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7697/dsc01579qy6.jpg

Just hope it's not the hardwired end of the signal cable that is damaged Pull it apart and you should see either a ribbon cable or a bunch of 30 or so wires with a thin flat connector on the end, that goes directly from the metal casing of the tft panel into the box with the powerboard and whatnot, make sure it's connected firmly, pull it out and shove it back in again to make sure, sometimes they look fine but have actually skipped across slightly and are sending crossed signals.

Nothing to lose by having a go.

EDIT:

Would I be right in thinking your shoe hit around where that large dark patch it near the top slightly left of centre? If so you wont get rid of that mark, you might get a picture back on it though, but it'd still have the pressure mark.
The shoe hit it dead center. And my shoes have some special gum soles so they don't scuff. I don' know what the black patch is. It didn't show up at first for some reason, only started about a day after I broke the damn thing.

Anyway, it's good news that I can fix it myself, but I still don't know how to pull the thing apart so I can fix it. Anyone know how to do that?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6621|Mhz

Take all the screws out the back (there's quite often one under the sticker on the back) and pull at the join between the front and back panels of the case with a flat screwdriver until the clips open, doesn't sound nice, sounds like they're cracking usually but they wont, unless you're a complete barbarian with it anyway.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469
Yeah, I'm kinda having allot of trouble getting the case off. If anyone can give me further assistance on this I'd be greatly appreciated.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

I really don't think you are going to get it working again. (But what do I know)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6732|Uhh... erm...

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda having allot of trouble getting the case off. If anyone can give me further assistance on this I'd be greatly appreciated.
It's probably just to take a screwdriver and jam it in the crack between the front and the rear. They can be really tough to pull apart, dumb snap-locks.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

Tetrino wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

It's probably just to take a screwdriver and jam it in the crack between the front and the rear. They can be really tough to pull apart, dumb snap-locks.
That's what I've been doing, and I haven't gotten any closer.

Well sort of. The case of the 2405 has three "layers", a black one on back which protects all the stuff that's on the back and has ports on it. A middle silver one and a front black one with the front buttons on it. I did manage to take the front one off but that's no help to me. The back one is just too tough, I've scarred the plastic on it allot with my screwdriver trying to get it off.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
Don't you have like...a Circuit City with a Firedog location or a Best Buy with a Geek Squad location?
Defiance
+438|6672

Poseidon wrote:

Don't you have like...a Circuit City with a Firedog location or a Best Buy with a Geek Squad location?
Oh come on. Don't dare let them touch anything of yours, not that they could fix this anyways.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469

Defiance wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Oh come on. Don't dare let them touch anything of yours, not that they could fix this anyways.
Yeah, I'd feel safer doing it myself under the guidance of you guys than letting some poorly trained high school drop out open it up.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

Defiance wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Just saying...I'd probably go to them as a last ditch effort.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6469
Well I figured out the getting the case off.

But now I'm going to really need your help telling me exactly what to do. I will post pics of the caseless monitor later today.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard