CameronPoe
+2,925|6556
.....we found a plentiful cheap renewable supply of energy that could replace oil what would dictate global economic matters? What commodity would dictate the purchasing power of money most and why? What resource would we be killing each other over? How would it impact the global political power balance?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

inb4caek

I don't know that we'll start killing each other over anything right away, but eventually our steel supplies are going to run low. Especially with China growing the way it is (and the poor quality of their steel).
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

My guess would be potable water.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

What did we use to fight over? Gold, precious metals?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6556

Mutantsteak wrote:

Gold and silver. For some bizarre reason.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Water!
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
Water and agriculture areas.

-too much gaming?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mutantbear

CameronPoe wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

Gold and silver. For some bizarre reason.
Well im guessing we'd be going back to that, there are alot of people that still like shiny things
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Scratch[USA]
+105|6548
Gold and I could be wrong but I think China owns most of that any way

Or

Diamonds
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

We've already found it.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

Gold and diamonds will never again be of such value that it is worth starting a war ... precious metals like that is worth less than the cost of such a war and the human race can survive just fine without it ... water on the other hand, drinkable water is the most vital part of human existence and wars are already being fought for gaining control over water resources.

Mission to Mars ... what are the number one priority they are looking for ? ... traces of water, without water there cant be life ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida
Until the entire world adopts a 1 child only policy, the future will look pretty dark, regardless of how much energy we have.  Not enough water.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6646

Varegg wrote:

Water!
yeah if we start using water human kind will use up all the water since we seem to have no limitations.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6184|Ireland
Spice Girls?  Lithium?
Mutantbear

I GET TO MAKE THE SPORE JOKE

Spice!
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6488|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
WoW, it caused China's GNP to go down causing them limit it.

Oh and Mutant, spice originally was from the Frank Hurbert novel Dune.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
There's plenty of resources and reasons to fight each other over. Shit, we don't even need a reason these days!

Actually we've never needed a reason
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

There's plenty of resources and reasons to fight each other over. Shit, we don't even need a reason these days!

He gave me the stink eye...off to war!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2008-09-11 13:05:44)

chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Yeah, we're pretty good at making up reasons. Like a slightly different shade of skin, a slightly different interpretation of the exact same religion, a different accent, a different geographic location (west siiiiiiide), a different sports team, tastes great vs less filling...
Christbane
+51|6236
I'd be curious to know what the impact would be on oil producing nations if most of the world stopped using oil.  I'm sure it would be a slow process to change over to a new source but there would have to be a huge impact on nations who's main income  is oil.   what the hell would Saudi Arabia do?  do they have enough cash stashed away to recover and find new ways to generate income?

I agree with what others have said  water and fertile land would be the main reason for war. and of course the ever popular religion.
imortal
+240|6666|Austin, TX
Power is one of the most sought-after resources.  Next on the list is food and potable water.  After all, there are already areas where power is maintained though the control of the distrubution of food.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6494|N. Ireland

CameronPoe wrote:

.....we found a plentiful cheap renewable supply of energy that could replace oil what would dictate global economic matters? What commodity would dictate the purchasing power of money most and why? What resource would we be killing each other over? How would it impact the global political power balance?
Gold, like it was would be my guess.
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6625
Water. Then we could charge the Middle East $140 a barrel.
Other than that how about grain and anything you would need good soil to plant.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6168

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

Good luck with that, the Earth being 2/3 water and all.  The Middle East got so rich with oil they will make a tunnel of water to their countries.
TrueMusou
+36|6162|United States Of Hamerica

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

Isn't there a way to convert seawater into drinkable fresh water?
I mean, in CA right now, water usage is being watched quite closely. If a household uses over a certain set limit, that household would have to pay a higher rate. Just turn sea water into fresh drinkable water and problem solved...GET TO IT ARNOLD!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard