The_Lone_N00b
+2|6773
My dad, who is a 6 year veteran of the marine corps, says the commander NEVER EVER goes into the field of combat. They stayed on the sidelines and watched the battle and commanded. So for all you commanders out there, please, stay out of the fray.

Paided for by the I Don't Give A Shit cooperation
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

I think a Coast Guard vet could have told you that.
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6778|Scotland!!!
NeoCloud
+0|6683
...and they most certainly don't fly around the battlefield in a fucking jet!
SuB
+50|6677

NeoCloud wrote:

...and they most certainly don't fly around the battlefield in a fucking jet!
here here!
this man speaks gospel!
LISTEN TO HIM GET OUT THE JETS FFS!
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6721|Melbourne, Australia
iv tried flying in a jet as commander once... i wouldent suggest it :p
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6750|Mark it zero.
when im commander i go to the point that is most important for us to hold and command from there, that way if someone comes in then i can stop them. and that would only take a few seconds out of commanding. other than that i try not to fight.
Polarcap
+0|6676
What do you mean by Coast Guard vet???
Diomed
+1|6701
Flying while commander isn't as hard as everyone acts like it is!  But then again most people don't know about the comm rose for commander/squadleader/squadmembers, thats probably why!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Polarcap wrote:

I mean they don't command troops or artillery or tanks, but can understand the commander needs to be stationary observing the battlefield situation.
Erkut.hv
+124|6737|California
I've been veyr fortunate, the last 5 or 6 times I commanded, nobody used the tank. So I got to be a roving death dealer/command station. it was great. plus I was an engineer.
Polarcap
+0|6676

usmarine2005 wrote:

Polarcap wrote:

I mean they don't command troops or artillery or tanks, but can understand the commander needs to be stationary observing the battlefield situation.
Roger that... didnt think a Marine was making a dig at the Coast Guard.... Because they are tighter then the Marines and the Navy!!
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6771|Human Meat Shield

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

I command and fight on the front lines, I even can command while in a jet or chopper pretty effectively.

My stats should be proof it is feasible and I am an asset to the team while doing it. Check out my time as commander and win/loss ratio (I play autobalance servers only).

However, if it is a clan match I will tend to sit back... but I won't ever find a comfy spot that doesn't put me in danger. I will drop the fools before they know what hit em.
If you're doing all that and I see you I'm joining the other side. Because you are only scanning 'your' area. You need to see the whole field and if you say you are you are lying. Because if you are doing it right and on a full 64 servers you have people bugging for supply drops and you have to scan for them if they tag off to different areas to cap flags. Otherwise you are doing it for only you and in your general destruction area. It's a full time job. Win or Lose, the best commander is the one helping others and tending to thier needs, too many times i've seen commanders on the front lines and the UAV is missing for about 5 minutes or so because they are too busy in a firefight. Your stats aren't proof of anything to us, just to you they are proof that you play a game.

Last edited by imdead (2006-01-19 16:34:26)

2ndLt.Tucker
If you can read this, your already dead
+33|6684|Stillwater, Ok
I sit back and like you said try as best i can to let my team see whats coming there way. I zoom in and out when my team are at back flags and spot enemies w/o using scan as well as with it.  I drop supplies on my tanks so they live longer and try best i might to keep arty from killing my own team....sometimes there is no choice.  A commader is someone who directs teams what to do and helps them out as best he can.....not get directly involved unless there is no choice.  Those 30 seconds of you being dead can change the whole tide of battle.
AD_Kensan
+7|6787
I agree with most that has been said but I disagree when it comes to 16 player servers.

Of course you still shouldn't be running around the field etc but you can help your team alot by guarding flags etc so they can advance and not worry about enemies behind the lines...

Just my 2 cents
DakotaDoc64
+0|6794|Omaha, Nebraska
If you apply this "in real life" logic to this game, first off no one can fly any jet aircraft.  There is not a butter bar out there that is allowed to fly a jet in combat.

It is just a game!!!

However I don't have a gold command star for setting on the sidelines and watching.  I try to defend a flag.  C-4 or Antitank.  I have wiped out many squads defending a flag in combination with artillery (if available).

Timing is everything
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6771|Human Meat Shield
Agreed with non-full or 32/16 servers. Behind the lines and guarding already capped areas.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

Never been a commander in any form of aircraft, except a passenger in a Blackhawk, (quite a while ago.)

The_Lone_N00b, say cheers to your dad from me for solidly backing up a point that is often agreed to but never followed. However, If I am bored shitless and my team's not obeying me anyway, I will be an active commander, and try and make sure that I get the x2 points by shootin' some guys.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Esker
+1|6729
This is only a game, a leader stays out of the way in RL because he's no use if he's dead.

That is if he was any use to start with... Then yeah if he's related to General Dumbfuck he should pointed into the direction of that "safe" hummer that won't suddenly explode... Honest.
smk_valvanite
+12|6678|New Zealand, CHCH
i agree with two posts up,

if there is minimal players on a large map, yes it would be good inititive to runaround and command, but still put commanding first and scanning then artying, or scanning then uav, and droppoing supplies on any armour or anyone who asks for it,

but a full 64 server with say...karkand map, its just pointless to be a combat comm, you do no favours for oyour team who need constant uav in congested areas, and need comm to spot when some lone enemy is gonna cap the suburb by himself, and will most probably gte the train acident and market as wel becuase ppl are to busy at the hotel trying to rack up points and kills

happend to me the other night and was comm, no body would leave the hotel even though there was a large group of 10 enemy capping all the other flags,  yeah we held the hotel but after that we werre surroduned on all sides because our side would not leave the hotel, then we got raped and our team wondered why????

just like some ppl shouldnt drive a car, some ppl shouldnt own computers
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6722|California

yea you cant fight and command effectively, you get no extra points for fighting, since your score is the average of your teammates. but if you can get 70 kills in a plane, and send good orders, and keep the scan screen up long enough without crashing, please tell me, i want to laugh at your bullshit
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Polarcap wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Polarcap wrote:

Roger that... didnt think a Marine was making a dig at the Coast Guard.... Because they are tighter then the Marines and the Navy!!
If you find a group of servicemen tighter than a Marine infantry unit, or any infantry unit, under fire in combat, then you have made history and should right a story............but I don't think you will find that.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6791|Singapore

Same old rehashed bullshit. Sure, the commander doesn't join in the fray, but the last time I checked the commander had squads that listen to his orders and not just fuck around, and there aren't lone wolves in Marine. So STFU already and let this topic rest.
rook187
+0|6697

stryyker wrote:

yea you cant fight and command effectively, you get no extra points for fighting, since your score is the average of your teammates. but if you can get 70 kills in a plane, and send good orders, and keep the scan screen up long enough without crashing, please tell me, i want to laugh at your bullshit
and I'll back you up. I was just on Karkand with 24//64 playing. Our Commander for the USMC was on the front line the entire time. I kept calling for supplies  and UAV and got jack spit. He would use UAV and call arty right in front of him and thats it. We lost by over 100 points because he wouldn't back up the squads. I still finished with a decent score, but I'm sure it would have been better with proper leadership.

As for flying and commanding at the same time....not a chance. I bet if we polled the squads these guys are commanding they wouldn't be impressed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard