baggs
+732|6203
Firstly, i must say thankyou for all the help in the other thread about GPU and Soundcard upgrades and then the X-Fi thread, because i don't find computers very obvious.

So, i've been looking at a Processor upgrade or possibly a new board, chip and ram upgrade. I have currently an AMD 64 3500+ sat in an MSI Amethyst M motherboard which i think is a 939 socket board, i didn't find much on exact specs, sorry. I found a few dual core 939 AMD processors on some ebay shops, one was around £60 here and i wondered if its worth it to upgrade for £60. Or perhaps spend more on this at £104 here.

Is it a worthwhile method for someone who doesnt want to spend much money? Or do you really think i should upgrade board, chip and ram altogether?

Thanks in advance
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6206
go c2d, £40 asrock motherboard, £40 ish e2200, £30 ocz 6400 2gb, £40 tuniq tower 120 and thermal paste.

you WONT be disappointed.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

What blacklines said, but skip ASRock and E2200, and get random G33 board, and an E5200.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

And a freezer 7 pro instead of that tuniq tower.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6360|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
you don't need an aftermarket cooler, the stock one works just fine
Brasso
+1,549|6629

ceslayer23 wrote:

for no to light overclocking, yep
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6462|cuntshitlake

ceslayer23 wrote:

If one gets a cheap C2D (such as E2xxx, E5xxx or E7xxx) overclocking it is almost mandatory. And you will not like the sound of the stock cooler at 100% all the time...

And F7P is like £10

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-03 12:44:58)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6842|England
Amazing, The exact same thing as I have been thinking for a while!!!!!!!

This is something I keep looking at. I have a 3700+ on the same board, x1800xt 512, and so on, and want something quicker. I think I will be going down the cheap EXXXX, cheap Mobo, cheap ram route until the wife lets me spend some proper money!

I don't know how proficient baggs is, but I have never messed about with the CPU/Mobo/Cooling. I have done the usual stuff, PSU/RAM/GPU/SC/Optical and HDD, but the thought of cocking the CPU/Mobo up is quite scary.

Is it difficult to put CPU and mobo together, and is it difficult to put a non stock cooler on???

Last edited by Teamsreth (2008-09-04 03:51:51)

baggs
+732|6203
I went to Ebuyer and took the advice given in the thread and i think i have the correct and compatible products:

Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L iG33 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard

OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC

Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler

An E5xxx processor, a G33 chipset motherboard and matched pair 6400 ram and the freezer 7 pro cooler. Do i need to also order thermal paste or is it likely the cooler will come with something acceptable? All that came to like £170 delivered.

I have a 580watt modular PSU, 9800GT and X-fi sound card, is the PSU up to the job?

Teamsreth wrote:

Amazing, The exact same thisng as I have been thinking for a while!!!!!!!

This is something I keep looking at. I have a 3700+ on the same board, x1800xt 512, and so on, and want something quicker. I think I will be going down the cheap EXXXX, cheap Mobo, cheap ram route until the wife lets me spend some proper money!

I don't know how proficient baggs is, but I have never messed about with the CPU/Mobo/Cooling. I have done the usual stuff, PSU/RAM/GPU/SC/Optical and HDD, but the thought of cocking the CPU/Mobo up is quite scary.

Is it difficult to put CPU and mobo together, and is it difficult to put a non stock cooler on???
Well i can probably do it but i can bribe a good friend to do it i'm sure! But in all honesty, it doesnt look that hard of a job, just be aware of self grounding and you will need something appropriate to apply the thermal paste to the chip.

Last edited by baggs (2008-09-04 03:59:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard