Poll

Do you agree with the gay marriage approval in California?

Yes67%67% - 112
No27%27% - 45
I don't know0%0% - 0
Plead the fifth3%3% - 5
Other? (Please State)1%1% - 3
Total: 165
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Why all the grizzling about civil unions not being enough?

Gays demanding the right to be married is like muslims demanding the right to have a bar-mitzvah - it defies logic.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

My consistent position has been that civil unions should be the recognized thing for everyone.

If people want to get married, they can do so in their church. Would still count as a civil union, though.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
I don't see why it's such an issue to let gay people marry the one they love.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

My consistent position has been that civil unions should be the recognized thing for everyone.

If people want to get married, they can do so in their church. Would still count as a civil union, though.
this^ (provided those "civil unions" would have all the rights and responsibilities of traditional straight families extended to them).
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone
I see no difference between a 'marriage' and a 'civil union', they are one and the same.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

DrunkFace wrote:

I see no difference between a 'marriage' and a 'civil union', they are one and the same.
Explain that to the gays plz.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Surely there is a difference. Marriage does not mean having a cheesy ceremony in a religious establishment, it doesn't have to have anything to do with religion at all. I don't see why religions are even getting involved, unless they are forced to get involved by having to allow their churches or whatever be used for gay marriages, but I can't see why gays would want to get married in a church.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
gays got this on lock
Tu Stultus Es
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

Mekstizzle wrote:

I can't see why gays would want to get married in a church.
i always wandered the same. religion has been uber shitty towards gays since, like, forever.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
It's the concept of marriage, people like making a lifelong commitment to their partner as one of the ultimate expressions of love for that person. But yeah, in a church... I'm sure as hell not getting married in a church.

Mekstizzle wrote:

Surely there is a difference. Marriage does not mean having a cheesy ceremony in a religious establishment, it doesn't have to have anything to do with religion at all. I don't see why religions are even getting involved, unless they are forced to get involved by having to allow their churches or whatever be used for gay marriages, but I can't see why gays would want to get married in a church.
Unfortunately religion has always tried to get involved with things that aren't any of their concern.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-02-08 06:33:58)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

The difference is that the word marriage is used in government documents and the state constitution, not the phrase civil union. In order to be afforded same be benefits as a hetero couple, the language needs to be consistent.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

First step would be to address the myriad tax and other intrinsic financial benefits tied to marriage. It's not as simple as just removing 'marriage' from government documents.
This is true, but I guess if we really wanted to be fair about things, we wouldn't subsidize marriage via tax benefits.  The fact that we have a child tax credit seems odd as well, since it's not like we have a problem with sustaining population growth.
Those tax policies are intended to promote certain behaviors deemed "favorable" to the overall health of the nation and its economy...just like any other tax policy. Subsidize desired behavior, tax undesired behavior.
Isn't that basically "social engineering" by government?
Turquoise
O Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

The problem is that not every state does.

Once again, this is one of those issues where a lack of federal standardization allows states to act on their prejudices.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Gays demanding the right to be married is like muslims demanding the right to have a bar-mitzvah - it defies logic.
Not every state even allows homosexual unions.  Some states limit civil unions to hetero couples.

It is true that a lot of states allow them, however.

Still, another problem is that some states don't give all the same benefits to civil unions that marriages get.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Turquoise wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Once again, this is one of those issues where a lack of federal standardization allows states to act on their prejudices.
You guys need to create interdependent relationships like Australia.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada

Cybargs wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

How does that work?
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City

Turquoise wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

How does that work?
If I remember right (And I may not) it was very similar to our "common-law" marriage laws... Basically gets treated like a marriage without having to be officially recognized... Including property ownership, health care, etc... Except common-law still only applies to a man and woman, and does not come into effect for same-sex.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

How does that work?
If I remember right (And I may not) it was very similar to our "common-law" marriage laws... Basically gets treated like a marriage without having to be officially recognized... Including property ownership, health care, etc... Except common-law still only applies to a man and woman, and does not come into effect for same-sex.
Need to prove that you've been living together for 2 years (rental agreements, witness', etc etc) and its practically marriage until you call it off.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheet … onship.htm

http://www.defence.gov.au/dpe/pac/GP53_01.pdf

All i can find is immigration and defence related shit lol
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
BVC
+325|6695

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, you're wrong.  Its nothing like muslims demanding a bar-mitzvah.

A bar-mitzvah is strictly a religious rite, whereas marriage isn't.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City
Yeah, same basic thing as our common-law marriages. They vary between states from 6 months to 2 years, but same difference. Only still straight only in most of the nation.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468

Pubic wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Actually the bar-mitzvah doesn't have any real religious meaning to it.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Actually the bar-mitzvah doesn't have any real religious meaning to it.
But the kids get loads of money at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. And money is the religion of the Jews.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I used to care about the entymological logic of it. That is, until we were in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the economy went to shit while shitty health care legislation failed, and certain companies were too big to fail. Seattle wanted to tunnel through mud without a guarantee of continuing funds, and despite having money emptied on them, rich public school districts are still failing to educate kids just as much as poor public school districts.

Really, I couldn't give two shits if gays get married and smooch each other outside of Mormon churches or in shopping malls anymore. Adoption's fine with me, too. The kids could hardly be at more risk with them than they are with straight, potentially murderous parents.

News tells people every day that they're not safe breathing air, drinking water, eating food or even getting immunization shots. People are waiting to lie, cheat and rob you out of your money, family and life.

So yeah. Bigger f*#$&@% fish to fry.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I used to care about the entymological logic of it. That is, until we were in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the economy went to shit while shitty health care legislation failed, and certain companies were too big to fail. Seattle wanted to tunnel through mud without a guarantee of continuing funds, and despite having money emptied on them, rich public school districts are still failing to educate kids just as much as poor public school districts.

Really, I couldn't give two shits if gays get married and smooch each other outside of Mormon churches or in shopping malls anymore. Adoption's fine with me, too. The kids could hardly be at more risk with them than they are with straight, potentially murderous parents.

News tells people every day that they're not safe breathing air, drinking water, eating food or even getting immunization shots. People are waiting to lie, cheat and rob you out of your money, family and life.

So yeah. Bigger f*#$&@% fish to fry.
Right on.

I'm all for gay marriage. It allows people to be happier and enjoy their lives in ways that is none of my concern whilst at the same time pisses off a lot of hardcore Christians. Win!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

This is true, but I guess if we really wanted to be fair about things, we wouldn't subsidize marriage via tax benefits.  The fact that we have a child tax credit seems odd as well, since it's not like we have a problem with sustaining population growth.
Those tax policies are intended to promote certain behaviors deemed "favorable" to the overall health of the nation and its economy...just like any other tax policy. Subsidize desired behavior, tax undesired behavior.
Isn't that basically "social engineering" by government?
That's exactly what it is. Another reason to have simplified tax code and tax as little as possible.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard