Poll

Do you agree with the gay marriage approval in California?

Yes67%67% - 112
No27%27% - 45
I don't know0%0% - 0
Plead the fifth3%3% - 5
Other? (Please State)1%1% - 3
Total: 165
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

FatherTed wrote:

do you have civil partnerships already or is this gay marriage thing trying to get it allowed in actual churches?
Has nil to do with forcing churches. If anyone ever tells you it does they are lying. Church ceremonies don't have any legal standing and won't be affected at all in gay marriage was passed. The marriage license given by the court is what they are aiming for.

A handful if states have civil unions, 5 or 6 I think could be wrong. Civil unions from one state to the other are not recognized. Civil unions also don't give all of the benefits of marriage. For instance some insurance plans won't recognize a civil union but they would a marriage.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
so right now in (most of?) america you can't have a man marrying a man (or indeed woman + woman)?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Yes in most of the U.S. it is impossible to marry a same sex partner or to get a civil union.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
what
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

The moral majority strikes again.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6389
https://i.imgur.com/nexHu.jpg
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Who voted to plead the fifth?

*South Park voice* QUEER!
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468

mtb0minime wrote:

You don't plead the fifth, you invoke the fifth.

GOD.

DAMN.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

G@lt previously mentioned that he's an advocate of states determining things like this for themselves, as opposed to having federal laws. I'm generally in agreement there. However, in this case, certain entities like the LDS church invested heavily in opposition to prop 8. So you have a national organization focusing on one state's issue. My question is, how do you change/stop this from happening? Even though this legislation affects one state and one state's population in theory, its always been a national issue
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6473|Kakanien
seriously, who the fuck cares if two women (or men) marry?! it doesn't affect my life in the slightest
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

GOD.

DAMN.
Just quoting the poll bro. Brohan. Brosef.

Also, at voting on other people's rights.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
so a man cannot love and legally be bound to a man (or a woman+woman) in the LAND OF THE FREE (for the most part)?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468

mtb0minime wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

GOD.

DAMN.
Just quoting the poll bro. Brohan. Brosef.

Also, at voting on other people's rights.
stfu mat, yerra towel!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

FatherTed wrote:

so a man cannot love and legally be bound to a man (or a woman+woman) in the LAND OF THE FREE (for the most part)?
In some states yes, some no. We're working on it.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.

Turquoise wrote:

Again, this issue would be so much easier to deal with if we just separated marriage from government.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
what about the children?
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

First step would be to address the myriad tax and other intrinsic financial benefits tied to marriage. It's not as simple as just removing 'marriage' from government documents.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6709|Oklahoma City
Marriage stopping meaning anything but a tax break and health care coverage long ago... It is a joke... So who gives a frick if gays get married or not? Maybe they will improve the 50% divorce rate.

You know, regardless of "don't bring religion into to it" disclaimer, I will say this: If marriage were still a religious act, and people actually believed in it from a religious aspect anymore, then maybe they should do something to enforce that whole "until death do we part" agreement and make straight marriage mean something before going out and "fixing" the idea of gay marriage. If marriage had, say, a 5% divorce rate and was taken seriously, THEN they argue about it destroying the sanctity of the institution of marriage and such...

Maybe we could fix the whole problem by naming it something else... Like "Agreement to mostly just have sex with one other person while paying less money to the government and owning property together, while being allowed to be on the same health insurance policy, you know, until Obama hooks us all up for free."
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

FatherTed wrote:

Pretty much...  Freedom depends on what state you live in, since apparently, that's what matters most in this weird system.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-02-07 21:56:38)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

First step would be to address the myriad tax and other intrinsic financial benefits tied to marriage. It's not as simple as just removing 'marriage' from government documents.
This is true, but I guess if we really wanted to be fair about things, we wouldn't subsidize marriage via tax benefits.  The fact that we have a child tax credit seems odd as well, since it's not like we have a problem with sustaining population growth.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

This is true, but I guess if we really wanted to be fair about things, we wouldn't subsidize marriage via tax benefits.  The fact that we have a child tax credit seems odd as well, since it's not like we have a problem with sustaining population growth.
Those tax policies are intended to promote certain behaviors deemed "favorable" to the overall health of the nation and its economy...just like any other tax policy. Subsidize desired behavior, tax undesired behavior.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
In the end its just a word, if they aren't in it for the religious aspect - which is unlikely given most religions don't allow it - then what are they after apart from the tax breaks and other benefits?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Probably something crazy like love, devotion, etc.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Which doesn't require a piece of paper with 'marriage' on it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Of course it doesn't. But marriage--as a social contract--is a concrete step, formally instantiating their relationship and a level of commitment above just "being together."

Not to say those who stay together and aren't married aren't just as committed to one another; there's just less consequence if someone decides to break it off.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard