LittleBigPlanet6%6% - 5
Fallout 35%5% - 4
Resistance 20%0% - 0
Other (Please state)5%5% - 4
Total: 74
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
Each year, several publications choose a "Game of the Year", with one or two being widely known as the actual "Games of the Year". 2007 was Bioshock and CoD4, 2006 was Gears of War, 2005 was Resident Evil 4 and God of War, etc.

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/goty.html

So, which of the games in the poll do you predict will be the best game of the year?

The poll doesn't have much room, so just choose from those or pick "other" and state the name.

I'm thinking Left 4 Dead is going to win. It won best of E3 by GameInformer and many, many people are EXTREMELY excited for it. Valve rarely disappoints, and it's a zombie game...it's very hard to disappoint with a zombie game.

If not L4D, I'm thinking either Spore or Fallout 3 will win.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
LittleBigPlanet.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

sergeriver wrote:

LittleBigPlanet.
You know, I was thinking that too...but I don't think everyone's going to like it and while it's going to be very innovative, it just won't have the drive to be GOTY.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

LittleBigPlanet.
You know, I was thinking that too...but I don't think everyone's going to like it and while it's going to be very innovative, it just won't have the drive to be GOTY.
For what I've seen LBP has everything to be GOTY.
Ultimatrox
+38|6225|Netherlands

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

LittleBigPlanet.
For what I've seen LBP has everything to be GOTY.
Negative
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6730|The Hague, Netherlands

Spore me thinks...

a lot of people will play it (young till older)

and like already 2,8 million creatures have been created..

but you never know with these things.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Spore me thinks...

a lot of people will play it (young till older)

and like already 2,8 million creatures have been created..

but you never know with these things.
Yep...I'm actually kind of sketchy about Spore but I'm hoping it succeeds. It's already gone gold so that's a good thing, but I just hope it lives through the hype.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
The thing is unless LBP ends being a big deception and a boring game, which I doubt tbh, it has to be GOTY.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

sergeriver wrote:

The thing is unless LBP ends being a big deception and a boring game, which I doubt tbh, it has to be GOTY.
Not necessarily, Serge...it also has to apply to a pretty broad audience. Which is why CoD4/Bioshock deserved GOTY. I couldn't believe some of my friends were playing CoD4 and how big it got, and what a wide audience played it...same thing with Bioshock...a sci-fi game!

You might not see that with LBP, especially being a console exclusive. Fallout 3 has a better chance because of the fact that it's on PC/360/PS3, and Spore/L4D have good chances because of the gigantic PC audience.

Trust me, I want it to be as successful as you do, but I just don't think it's going to have the drive to take it to GOTY.

I'm predicting some damn good reviews though. Can't wait for next months GameInformer.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-08-22 05:37:05)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Not necessarily, Serge...it also has to apply to a pretty broad audience. Which is why CoD4/Bioshock deserved GOTY. I couldn't believe some of my friends were playing CoD4 and how big it got, and what a wide audience played it...same thing with Bioshock...a sci-fi game!

You might not see that with LBP, especially being a console exclusive. Fallout 3 has a better chance because of the fact that it's on PC/360/PS3, and Spore/L4D have good chances because of the gigantic PC audience.

Trust me, I want it to be as successful as you do, but I just don't think it's going to have the drive to take it to GOTY.

I'm predicting some damn good reviews though. Can't wait for next months GameInformer.
I think the GOTY should be awarded based on quality not on broad audiences.  Besides, a lof of people is going to get LBP.  Not as broader audience as PC, but still broad.  I hope it gets the award coz it's a fresh and new idea.  And in the video games world that's unusual.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I think the GOTY should be awarded based on quality not on broad audiences.  Besides, a lof of people is going to get LBP.  Not as broader audience as PC, but still broad.  I hope it gets the award coz it's a fresh and new idea.  And in the video games world that's unusual.
No, that's what it should mainly be based on, but it also should take into account it's audience as well. You wouldn't want Dora's Big Adventure winning GOTY just because all the little kids (and kptk) like it, do you? Not saying that's what would happen with LBP whatsoever (obviously) but it needs to take it's audience into account.

There's lots of games with "fresh and new ideas" this year. Far Cry 2's sabotage, EndWar's voice recognition, The Force Unleashed has it's Force Powers, Mirror's Edge's...everything, etc. Just because something is new doesn't mean it deserves GOTY.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

No, that's what it should mainly be based on, but it also should take into account it's audience as well. You wouldn't want Dora's Big Adventure winning GOTY just because all the little kids (and kptk) like it, do you? Not saying that's what would happen with LBP whatsoever (obviously) but it needs to take it's audience into account.

There's lots of games with "fresh and new ideas" this year. Far Cry 2's sabotage, EndWar's voice recognition, The Force Unleashed has it's Force Powers, Mirror's Edge's...everything, etc. Just because something is new doesn't mean it deserves GOTY.
Btw, you missed FC2.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Btw, you missed FC2.

I wrote:

The poll doesn't have much room, so just choose from those or pick "other" and state the name.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-08-22 05:47:10)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Btw, you missed FC2.

I wrote:

I think FC2 has more chances than Clancy's and Resistance.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Btw, you missed FC2.

I wrote:

I just added some of the notable games from my list of upcoming games which I want to/will try to buy. No bias or anything, I'm getting FC2 as well.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Btw, you missed FC2.
I just added some of the notable games from my list of upcoming games which I want to/will try to buy. No bias or anything, I'm getting FC2 as well.
I can't get all those, otherwise I'll end getting a divorce.

/starts preordering all those games
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5745|Roma

sergeriver wrote:

LittleBigPlanet.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6346|West NY
Lol, spore.
I vote fallout 3. Looks like it'll live up to expectations.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
lol, Bioshock beat Orangebox last year

Multiplayer games never make it in these things because the twitchy-ass multiplayer crowd is too busy playing, unlike their single player adventure mode fanboys who take ten hours to play a game and then take another 100 to tell everyone how great it is. Including multiplayers and singleplayer games in contests like these is stupid.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Multiplayer games never make it in these things because the twitchy-ass multiplayer crowd is too busy playing, unlike their single player adventure mode fanboys who take ten hours to play a game and then take another 100 to tell everyone how great it is. Including multiplayers and singleplayer games in contests like these is stupid.
Um. CoD4 won multiple GOTY awards and it's got MP...one of the most played MP games on XBL and in PC gaming alike.

Gears of War won multiple GOTY awards and it's got MP.

I fail to see your point.
Flaming_Maniac

Poseidon wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Um. CoD4 won multiple GOTY awards and it's got MP...one of the most played MP games on XBL and in PC gaming alike.

Console multiplayers are not like true multiplayer games like BF2, Orangebox, CoD4, Halo 3, the ones where there is a storymode and there has just been split screen control tacked on. There has been a lot of effort going into the aforementioned games specifically, if not completely in a multiplayer aspect, and they are not rewarded for it.

CoD4 multiplayer that wise isn't even that good...it's not bad, but I'm not sure it really even deserves top five, and a lot of people feel the same way. It just got rather monotonous rather fast. The singleplayer aspect is where it was judged, where it was a pretty damn good game. Compared to Orangebox? No way.

I mean seriously, Bioshock beat TF2, HL2:EP2, and Portal combined?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK
Basically LBP, Spore or L4D.

LBP simply because of the concept and how fun it looks.
Spore looks set to be the ultimate god game.
L4D because of the AI director allowing a different experience every time, everyone loves zombies, especially when you don't know where they are.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Console multiplayers are not like true multiplayer games like BF2, Orangebox, CoD4, Halo 3, the ones where there is a storymode and there has just been split screen control tacked on. There has been a lot of effort going into the aforementioned games specifically, if not completely in a multiplayer aspect, and they are not rewarded for it.

CoD4 multiplayer that wise isn't even that good...it's not bad, but I'm not sure it really even deserves top five, and a lot of people feel the same way. It just got rather monotonous rather fast. The singleplayer aspect is where it was judged, where it was a pretty damn good game. Compared to Orangebox? No way.

I mean seriously, Bioshock beat TF2, HL2:EP2, and Portal combined?
Well, first off, many consider CoD4 to be better on consoles than PC...and Halo 3 IS a console multiplayer. Played by over 300,000 people almost every day.

Honestly, I don't think OB should have beaten Bioshock. I loved Bioshock's voice acting, it's very easy to learn gameplay and smooth gameplay, it's "research" mode, it's weapon-upgrading, the whole concept of ADAM and EVE, the variety of Splicers and the incredible boss battles (especially with Sander Cohen), and the whole "moral decision" thing was pretty cool too.

I loved Portal, HL2: Ep 2 and I love TF2, but I don't think that they can compare to Bioshock. I truly loved Bioshock and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Some don't, but that's just their opinion. I, along with most of the gaming world, really enjoyed Bioshock and thought the minute that I played it "This game is going to be amazing". Which it was.

What's funny is, I didn't really enjoy the demo. I wasn't even planning on buying it, but went in and bought the Special Edition on impulse.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/osgood35nyi/bioshock.jpg

HL2, Portal and Ep 2 combined all get 10/10 from me (but wouldn't get 100/100), but Bioshock gets that. Bioshock truly captivated me with it's story.

Last edited by Poseidon (2008-08-22 06:49:33)

Flaming_Maniac
Halo 3 is not so much a console multiplayer experience as I described it, that's why I didn't include it in such. A lot of work went into the multiplayer, even if I personally find that game to be a pile of shit.

If CoD4 is really better on consoles than PC (this is the first time I've heard that) that only attests to how lackluster it is. It is meant to be a PC game, taken straight from CoD2 with shiny new weapons thrust into your hands, and it just proves that the simplification the game went through to be on consoles gave it another level of depth because the controls add another level of difficulty.

I played the demo of Bioshock on PC and didn't want to play it again. The controls were not fluid, health was everywhere and oversimplified, the enemies were unimaginative. I watched it on console at a friend's house during a Big Daddy scene and it looked like more of the same. Past the environment, which I grant is quite good, there just isn't much that is really interesting about the game. Shoot fire, kill demons, shoot shotgun, shoot electricity, blah blah blah...we've done this before.

Most of the gaming world? The one where I haven't heard a peep out of Bioshock for a loooooooong time? I mean BF2S was pretty hyped up for it, people wanted a forum section (or did we get one? I don't remember) but then when the game came out it was pretty evenly split to those who did and those who didn't like it. The chatter lasted for a week, maybe two, and now no one cares. Hell, we have had quite a few threads about HL2, specifically that and not the episodes, and that game has been out since before BF2S was even around.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6445|The Twilight Zone
GTA4. Its not as good as I thought it would be but still a very good game.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard