Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!
Oh yeah? Your mom!
Do mháthair!

That's your mom in Irish...in case you hadn't guessed!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

NantanCochise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The whole premise of this threads fails because there are American languages in existence already like Navajo and Cherokee. Maybe all you "Americans" should go off and learn those languages instead of trying to hijack another country's language. Your suggestion would be like Irish people calling the English language "Irish" even though we already have our own ancient language already.

To be honest you can do what the fuck you want with English...Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!
Yeah, Vai levar na peida!
Portuguese is a mad language. Sounds almost Arabic at times, it's a nice language to listen to.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6616|Tyne & Wear, England
Sorry if this sounds an utterly stupid question.  But when you Irish guys go to the pub or something, and say theres a group of five of you who can all speak Gaeilge, will you choose to speak that over English?  I just assumed there was more ways to express yourself in English.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6606|The Twilight Zone

Braddock wrote:

NantanCochise wrote:

Braddock wrote:

The whole premise of this threads fails because there are American languages in existence already like Navajo and Cherokee. Maybe all you "Americans" should go off and learn those languages instead of trying to hijack another country's language. Your suggestion would be like Irish people calling the English language "Irish" even though we already have our own ancient language already.

To be honest you can do what the fuck you want with English...Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!
Portuguese is a mad language. Sounds almost Arabic at times, it's a nice language to listen to.
That lingo is so annoying. I remember once at a community where we played BF2 and I was in a Portuguese squad and this guy was constantly talking, I thought I'm gonna loose my mind.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Sorry if this sounds an utterly stupid question.  But when you Irish guys go to the pub or something, and say theres a group of five of you who can all speak Gaeilge, will you choose to speak that over English?  I just assumed there was more ways to express yourself in English.
I have friends that will speak almost exclusively in Gaeilge when they are out drinking, I have friends who will start the night out speaking English but then switch to Gaeilge as they get drunk and I have friends who will just speak English all night. It depends on the context really, I was at a mini rock festival on a small island off the coast of a major Gaeltacht area a couple of weeks ago and there was by far more Irish than English to be heard all weekend but when I'm out in Dublin it is a rarity to hear anyone casually speaking Irish. Me and my friends can even use Gaeilge as a 'secret code' to discuss things here in Dublin!

English is a very expressive language and I like it for that reason but Gaeilge is very different to it and it is expressive in different ways, for example in Irish you don't "have" feelings, you have feelings "on you", if you are sick you would say you have a sickness on you. Humour can also be conveyed very simply in Gaeilge for some reason, something that can be very funny in Gaeilge will often not be funny at all when translated to English; it's as though the Gaeilge language can capture the nuances of the Irish sense of humour more effectively.

EDIT: I should say actually that one of the current problems regarding Gaeilge is that if there is a group of six people, 5 of whom can speak Gaeilge, the group will speak English. It's because pretty much everyone speaks English and in a sense choosing to speak Gaeilge when one of the group can't could be considered rude. I'll often speak Irish when I'm in the local shop or something when I'm up home visiting my folks and I'll often get a response in English!? It kind of makes you not want to bother continuing the conversation in Gaeilge.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-08-20 06:56:47)

.Sup
be nice
Gaeilge sounds Gaelic. Related perhaps?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

.Sup wrote:

Gaeilge sounds Gaelic. Related perhaps?
Brittany in France was one of the old Celtic 'nations'. You will even find lots of red-haired, bearded Celtic types speaking their own Celtic dialect that has similarities with Goedelic and Brythonic languages.

Gaeilge, like most other European languages shares similarities with the Continental languages and with Latin. Here's a few examples...

Anam (Irish for "soul") - Anima (Latin for "soul")
Dia (Irish for "God") - Deus (Latin for "God")
Ór (Irish for "gold") - Aurum (Latin for "gold")

Gaeilge numbers are very similar to French numbers too...

Aon              un
Dó               deux
Trí               trois
Ceathair       quatre
Cuig             cinq
Sé               six
Seacht         sept
Ocht            huit
Naoi            neuf
Deich           dix

Last edited by Braddock (2008-08-20 07:13:48)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6624
Gaeilge and Latin are also both very similar in the fact that they're dead languages.

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

Uzique wrote:

Gaeilge and Latin are also both very similar in the fact that they're dead languages.

Níl rud ar bith marbh maidir le Gaeilge go raibh maith agat, d'ainneoin iarrachtaí na Sananach! Tá mé fhéin an-bródúil go bhfuil me abalta Gaeilge a labhairt agas tá mé go h-an sásta go bhfuil rudaí amach ansin inniu cosúil le TG4 agus RnaG faoi choinne duine a bhfuil leasmhar sa teanga.

So there!!!
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6496|tropical regions of london
yo no soy marinero. yo no soy marinero, soy capitan, soy capitan, soy capitan
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6624

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Níl rud ar bith marbh maidir le Gaeilge go raibh maith agat, d'ainneoin iarrachtaí na Sananach! Tá mé fhéin an-bródúil go bhfuil me abalta Gaeilge a labhairt agas tá mé go h-an sásta go bhfuil rudaí amach ansin inniu cosúil le TG4 agus RnaG faoi choinne duine a bhfuil leasmhar sa teanga.

So there!!!
Que?

I wish I could lend the smallest care in the world to understand Gaeilge, sadly learning a tribal tongue of an Amazonian people would hold more benefit!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6496|tropical regions of london

Uzique wrote:

Amazonian people
they are a bunch of butch women?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6988|Kubra, Damn it!

God Save the Queen wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Amazonian people
they are a bunch of butch women?
They run a pretty sweet website, though.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

Uzique wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

So there!!!
Que?

I wish I could lend the smallest care in the world to understand Gaeilge, sadly learning a tribal tongue of an Amazonian people would hold more benefit!
Gaeilge was a vital tool during our struggle for independence both here in the Republic in the original rising and in the prisons in the North during the troubles, it was an effective 'code' with which to discuss things when English ears were listening. Certain areas in the prisons of the North were Gaeilge only zones during the troubles.

I was thinking about learning a native American dialect actually.
chittydog
less busy

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Braddock wrote:

So there!!!
Que?

Gaeilge was a vital tool during our struggle for independence both here in the Republic in the original rising and in the prisons in the North during the troubles, it was an effective 'code' with which to discuss things when English ears were listening. Certain areas in the prisons of the North were Gaeilge only zones during the troubles.

That would be great for fun or for a code language, but unfortunately you'll find more people who speak Klingon than a Native American language. I've lived my whole life in the US and known (relatively) many Native Americans. I've yet to meet one who speaks more than a few words of their ancestral lanuage.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

chittydog wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Que?

That would be great for fun or for a code language, but unfortunately you'll find more people who speak Klingon than a Native American language. I've lived my whole life in the US and known (relatively) many Native Americans. I've yet to meet one who speaks more than a few words of their ancestral lanuage.
Could you imagine the reaction of an old native American chief having some Navajo Indian thrown at him by a young, red-headed paleface!

It would be a novelty hobby but I am fascinated by ancient and obscure languages and how they work and operate in terms of expression. It's very easy to write off ancient languages as being "useless" but there is often a lot to be gained from studying how these languages were used to communicate ideas.
chittydog
less busy

Braddock wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Could you imagine the reaction of an old native American chief having some Navajo Indian thrown at him by a young, red-headed paleface!

It would be a novelty hobby but I am fascinated by ancient and obscure languages and how they work and operate in terms of expression. It's very easy to write off ancient languages as being "useless" but there is often a lot to be gained from studying how these languages were used to communicate ideas.
I agree and wish I had the time to study languages more. Like you mentioned with humor in English vs Gaelige, it opens you to new ways of thinking. Even dead languages have something to offer, even if it's not conversation.

This is one of my favorite quotes:
"The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for."
Ludwig Wittgenstein
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6895|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

Uzique wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Uzique wrote:

So there!!!
Que?

Is cuma sa diabhail liom, Sé an príosún is measa ná aigne dúnta   -  "I couldn't care less the worst prison is a closed mind"

by the way we just had a new Irish language school open the other day and you hear Irish being spoken more freely now that it's not likely to get you murdered. Éirinn go brách!

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2008-08-20 09:53:40)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6624
But it's still pointless

The word "novelty" has been used several times, I think that's probably an apt description.
NantanCochise
+55|6132|Portugal/United States

.Sup wrote:

Braddock wrote:

NantanCochise wrote:

That lingo is so annoying. I remember once at a community where we played BF2 and I was in a Portuguese squad and this guy was constantly talking, I thought I'm gonna loose my mind.
Yeah and Slovene sounds real nice!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire

Uzique wrote:

But it's still pointless

The word "novelty" has been used several times, I think that's probably an apt description.
Pointless? We have Irish speaking theatre, radio and television here in Ireland, having Gaeilge doubles your employment potential if you work in any of these industries. It may surprise you but many people, both young and old, still speak the language. You only have to go back a generation or two to find people who had little or no English at all - my Grandfather struggled with English when he moved to England to find work before WW2. You will rarely find a politician rise to a position of power here without being able to speak Irish.

It is also our language, I was happy to learn my mother tongue because it is a part of the history of who I am as a person. The English tried as hard as they could to destroy the language during their reign here and yet they could not, that is testament enough to the language's relevance to Irish society.

And in any case, shouldn't you be speaking Urdu, you're from England are you not?

Last edited by Braddock (2008-08-20 10:45:15)

.Sup
be nice

NantanCochise wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Yeah and Slovene sounds real nice!
Probably not to you, understandably. I didn't mean to be offensive.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6867|Purplicious Wisconsin

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't give a toss what Americans want to speak.
Just don't claim its English or lecture us on spelling, pronunciation, grammar or meaning.

The whole thing is null as Americans will all be speaking Spanish soon enough.
Unless we put a stop to it.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
BVC
+325|6849
I speak NZ english, which is just UK english with local slang.  I try to stay correct, but end up using a mixture of US & NZ/UK english, and that my usage often varies depending on context.  eg. Parking meter vs. one metre in length, computer program vs. a programme of events.  I disagree with calling US english a seperate language (American), it simply isn't different enough.

Last edited by Pubic (2008-08-21 05:12:15)

xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6496|California

Uzique wrote:

You're welcome to have your own 'American' language; it's a fucking travesty and I'd be glad to offload all of you mispronunciating, grammatically erroneous Yanks from the realms of 'English' speakers. There's nothing particularly applaudable about your language, your writing or the cultural literature associated with it... so have it back, please by all means do .

Please make sure you keep translating your T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Twain into proper English though.

That way I really don't care!
God damn I hope you're not serious with this post. I hate self-righteous, American hating, American despising, high-horse, "self-acclaimed culturalist" people from anywhere.

That is, if you' actually are serious.

EDIT: I'll add 'politically correct' to the list.

Back to the topic, I do speak "American". I don't care what other, so called, English people think or that it's not politically correct. I speak a far enough variation of English with enough of a local dialect that I'd call it American. It's certain as fuck different than people in the UK speak. I have personal experience in that.

I can guarantee you that many would consider those people down under to speak Australian even though they are an ex-english settlement and speak "English".

I'll ask you this. At what point does a language become a new language? Many languages are based off of Latin roots. I speak no Italian and a limited amount of Spanish just from living where I do but I can definitely figure out what many Italian words are and, Spanish is a bit harder, but if you're familiar enough with roots you can usually figure it out.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2008-08-21 00:44:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard