chittydog
less busy
+586|6988|Kubra, Damn it!

.Sup wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

By 2040 'American' will be Spanish, eh?
I heard more like "African".
You heard wrong. Hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group in the US by far.
02fxnmaurer
+75|6635|Birmingham UK
UK....invented language ....we claim rights XD
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6606|The Twilight Zone

chittydog wrote:

.Sup wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I heard more like "African".
You heard wrong. Hispanics are the fastest growing ethnic group in the US by far.
Wasn't there a topic posted here that blacks will prevail* in near future?
Edit: in the US*

Last edited by .Sup (2008-08-19 13:12:51)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
chittydog
less busy
+586|6988|Kubra, Damn it!

Possibly. Maybe they meant something else by prevail, like succeed?
.Sup
be nice

chittydog wrote:

No it said by year xyzx there will be more blacks in the USA than whites.
imortal
+240|6818|Austin, TX

.Sup wrote:

chittydog wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=107030

No, just that whites would become a minority.  There is a difference, since there are more than just whites and blacks in the US.
.Sup
be nice

imortal wrote:

.Sup wrote:

chittydog wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=107030

No, just that whites would become a minority.  There is a difference, since there are more than just whites and blacks in the US.
That certainly is different. I thought it said blacks will prevail or something like that and that blademaster made the thread. I guess I'm wrong.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6616|Tyne & Wear, England
https://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/Murta44/Pics/English.jpg
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6774|London, England
Que?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6564|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

Well the British people work harder and longer hours than any other country in Europe and we still find time to respect our language in its written form The English language is still preserved and used properly here and we are still experiencing the influx of millions of immigrants and other cultures- but all the same they're taught the correct way to read and write the English language.

So what really is your excuse? If a Pakistani family that know no English can migrate to England and learn the proper version of the language, then why are American immigrants and the mixing of culture in America an excuse for altering the language in arbitrary and pointless areas?

Yes, this is an argument in the art of pedanticism .
So let me get this straight: The English spoken in the UK today is exactly the same as the English spoken in the 17th and 18th centuries--in spelling, pronunciation, and syntax?

Language evolves. If you want to bitch about American English, how about you bitch about other dialects of English?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jord
+2,382|6831|The North, beyond the wall.
England prevails.
NantanCochise
+55|6132|Portugal/United States

02fxnmaurer wrote:

UK....invented language ....we claim rights XD
??? The United Kingdom was not a country when English came about. Homo sapiens invented language in the Upper Paleolithic Period about 50,000 years ago.
NantanCochise
...oh and while we are on the subject, English originated from Latin, French and several Germanic languages. Should they not claim rights to English? The United States chose the English language out of convenience, German was at a time the most likely candidate. So you Brits should be thankful that English is the worlds most popular language because of the US, or else it would be spoken by over 100 million people, half the amount of Portuguese spoken world-wide. And we all know you Brits wouldn't be too happy about having such little influence. Furthermore, Ive been around and have lived in the UK. Why is it than, the place where it is the hardest to understand so many pronunciations of English?
jord
+2,382|6831|The North, beyond the wall.

NantanCochise wrote:

...oh and while we are on the subject, English originated from Latin, French and several Germanic languages. Should they not claim rights to English? The United States chose the English language out of convenience, German was at a time the most likely candidate. So you Brits should be thankful that English is the worlds most popular language because of the US, or else it would be spoken by over 100 million people, half the amount of Portuguese spoken world-wide. And we all know you Brits wouldn't be too happy about having such little influence. Furthermore, Ive been around and have lived in the UK. Why is it than, the place where it is the hardest to understand so many pronunciations of English?
Damn right we wouldn't be happy with such little influence.

Engaland Engaland Engaland! Oi Oi.
NantanCochise
lol...

P.s. You spelled England wrong.

Last edited by NantanCochise (2008-08-19 16:17:28)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6624
I could honestly care a lot less how many people speak my language, I enjoy it and I enjoy the literature... if other people want to speak Portugese or Spanish, why would that have any bearing on me . For a person that tries to post with a modicum of intelligence you sure do use a lot of sweeping generalisations and stereotypes against the British people... we're not all power/influence-seeking imperialists, and not all of us speak in thick northern dialects either.

And the thing about England "inventing" language was clearly a joke.

P.S. Engaland / Engurland is the phonetic pronunciation of "England" to many (Northern) natives.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-19 16:20:24)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
NantanCochise
Lol, I'm taking the piss. I'm being sarcastic mate!

Last edited by NantanCochise (2008-08-19 16:51:43)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6443|Éire
The whole premise of this threads fails because there are American languages in existence already like Navajo and Cherokee. Maybe all you "Americans" should go off and learn those languages instead of trying to hijack another country's language. Your suggestion would be like Irish people calling the English language "Irish" even though we already have our own ancient language already.

To be honest you can do what the fuck you want with English...Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!

Last edited by Braddock (2008-08-19 19:03:07)

jamiecracker
+17|6901|Wollongong,Australia
hahaha this thread remind me when i was Oslo Norway at a ski jump and a woman from an american tour take a oslo travel guide up to the counter,it had english version written on the front in big red letters and she asked the lady behind the counter if they had this book in american
i laughed my arse off and my americans friends that i was traveling with hung their heads
if you want to call your language american do it
i will speak the queens english and spell it correctly to (if i can)
NantanCochise

Braddock wrote:

The whole premise of this threads fails because there are American languages in existence already like Navajo and Cherokee. Maybe all you "Americans" should go off and learn those languages instead of trying to hijack another country's language. Your suggestion would be like Irish people calling the English language "Irish" even though we already have our own ancient language already.

To be honest you can do what the fuck you want with English...Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!
Yeah, Vai levar na peida!
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6867|Purplicious Wisconsin

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I am not of English descent. Language is usually based on origin. Mexicans, Cubans, etc.. speak variations of Spanish.
That's debatable too. How many Spanish speaking Latinos are really of Spanish descent? If anyone has a number, it would helpful to post it.
Quite alot. There are very few 100% Native Americans in Central/South America, the majority of people in those areas have a bit of both in them (Mestizo, mixture of Native American and Spanish). With how much of both varying from country to country.
There are plenty of 100& Native Americans in Central/South America, but there aren't that many Native Americans in North America. I think you fucked up on your geography.

Uzique wrote:

You're welcome to have your own 'American' language; it's a fucking travesty and I'd be glad to offload all of you mispronunciating, grammatically erroneous Yanks from the realms of 'English' speakers. There's nothing particularly applaudable about your language, your writing or the cultural literature associated with it... so have it back, please by all means do .

Please make sure you keep translating your T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Edgar Allen Poe and Mark Twain into proper English though.

That way I really don't care!
Erroneous you say? We have slightly different grammar only because we adopted a different accent than the original accent which you guys still use, and some of the words didn't seem to cope well with our new accent so we had to change some of our pronunciations and spelling of words. Although  some things we changed from proper to improper such as hanged to hung(but only because we began using hung too much). And you brits also sometimes misspell your words, for example why do you sometimes type kool instead of cool?

blademaster wrote:

jord wrote:

Why would a language that pre-dates you by hundreds of years suddenly change name because you wanted it to for reasons unknown? If you don't like telling people you speak "English" then make your own unique language.

chittydog wrote:

Not totally. I'm just tired of everyone, not just England, giving us grief over the way we speak and write.
You don't spell words right. It's a bit of friendly debate, how are you tired of it?
America was founded by England so we speak English (otherwise if we want we can create our own language something between spanish and english aka spanglish)
I hate people who come to USA and refuse to learn English, if you don't learn get the hell out of this fucking country, more than 1 language divides a country.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
PureFodder
+225|6439

CameronPoe wrote:

According to the logic of this thread it will be the Mexican language, not Spanish.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6564|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

Tá mé fhéin sásta go leor ag caint Gaeilge, go raibh míle maith agat!
Oh yeah? Your mom!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

lol

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Que?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX
I don't give a toss what Americans want to speak.
Just don't claim its English or lecture us on spelling, pronunciation, grammar or meaning.

The whole thing is null as Americans will all be speaking Spanish soon enough.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-08-20 06:23:30)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard