Roc18
`
+655|5799|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
Source: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/101746

source wrote:

Regular readers know that I love video games as much as the next guy. In fact, my right ankle is still sore from drumming my way through a marathon Rock Band session last night (who knew calibrating the TV would make such a difference!?), and I'm always looking for the latest titles to pop into my Xbox.

But how much gaming is too much? For North Carolina native Blake Peebles, there's no such thing. Guitar Hero is his title of choice. "I usually play till I can't anymore," he says, in this profile from the News & Observer.

In fact, young Mr. Peebles is dropping out of high school... in order to focus on Guitar Hero full time. Peebles hopes to join the small but growing crew of players looking to make gaming a job. Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process. As the story notes, top gamers on the competitive circuit can earn up to $80,000 a year (though $25,000 is more common). Peebles, of course, can count his 52 Chick-fil-A combo meals toward that total.

I was at first inclined to disparage the decision by his parents to let Peebles drop out of school, but it seems a little less ridiculous when you delve into the facts. Peebles hahdn't been doing well in school and wasn't liked, and even now he isn't gaming full time. He has a tutor that provides a private education, and his parents say he's doing well with the more focused instruction and that their son now even does his homework without complaint. (Presumably he can hit the axe sooner after he's finished his studies.)

However, I worry that Peebles, who's just 16, may have a tough road ahead trying to break into competitive gaming. The costs of traveling to tournaments alone can totally outstrip earnings, and the amount of training can be grueling. Sponsorships are often a pipe dream. And then there's the issue of games going out of date and being replaced by something new. Traditional athletes never have to worry about, say, distance running being upgraded with a new version, but many games can go out of style, fast. In the end, there's just not much cash there: One gamer, quoted at the end of the linked article, says that in eight years his total earnings are about $25,000 total, and that's including a national championship in Halo 2.

What do you think, parents? Did Peebles' folks do the right thing in letting their son drop out of school?
lol this is like that south park episode where Stan and Kyle get famous by playing guitar hero.
i g
Banned
+876|5872|GA

win
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

StumbleUpon showed me this the other day: http://lubethemind.com/2008/08/18/a-sto … -yourself/
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

A disaster at life.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
Wow, really? Like I can understand if he went through college and then just played as a career...but still.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5941|United States
words cannot express my contempt for him
Ryan
+1,230|6851|Alberta, Canada

Way to be.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6614|Greenwood, IN
Why can't he finish school then do that... I mean seriously he only has what 2 or 3 years max of school left...
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6665|west liberty IA

Naturn wrote:

Why can't he finish school then do that... I mean seriously he only has what 2 or 3 years max of school left...
maybe people are pissed at shunning him as a outcast of some sort cause they are all jealous of his mad guitar hero playing skills + he assumes he makes a lot of paper...
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Okay, so I've heard of people dropping out of school to play the guitar. Some really exceptional artists have done this. Dropping out to play Guitar Hero is just... dumb. How can anyone possibly justify it? You're not playing original songs, Hell you're not even playing an instrument. It's a glorified "Simon Says" game set to music.

Idiocy.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

Roc18 wrote:

Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process.
Chicken sandwiches...?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6627|Medford, WI

Ty wrote:

Okay, so I've heard of people dropping out of school to play the guitar. Some really exceptional artists have done this. Dropping out to play Guitar Hero is just... dumb. How can anyone possibly justify it? You're not playing original songs, Hell you're not even playing an instrument. It's a glorified "Simon Says" game set to music.

Idiocy.
in guitar hero 4 you can make your own songs
chittydog
less busy
+586|6843|Kubra, Damn it!

Ty wrote:

Idiocy.
I agree. It's something so stupid that only a high school dropout would be dumb enough actually to do it.

See what I did there?
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6784

chittydog wrote:

I agree. It's something so stupid that only a high school dropout would be dumb enough actually to do it.

See what I did there?
i c wat u did thar
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6141

chittydog wrote:

Ty wrote:

Idiocy.

See what I did there?

I know high school dropouts that would think this kid is stupid.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6388|MN
In general, parents have gotten more stupid.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6800|Jupiter
You know you have all thought about doing the same thing, he just had bigger balls.
Gamer for life. <3
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6374|California

eusgen wrote:

You know you have all thought about doing the same thing, he just had bigger balls.
Gamer for life. <3
hes a fag for life
he should be ashamed. if it was a real guitar i would understand but a game? jesus christ.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6141

eusgen wrote:

Gamer for life. <3
Yeah, just wait for 3 years when no one gives a shit about guitar hero, and this kid will be out of his $25,000 (if that) a year job.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6495|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
The parents score a win in this one, I think they need super nanny.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6461|The Twilight Zone
hurri?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
VicktorVauhn
+319|6400|Southern California
Its a fucking weird story... but he didn't really drop out...
He was borderline failing out of the school anyways, and now is home schooled with a private tutor. He is probably better of by some kid home schooled by his dumb parents.
I am sure he is still a fucking weird kid, but he was failing at regular school, I can see his parents "Going along" with his "career" provided he takes home schooling and keeps up certain grades...

Like the article says, some kids DO make money with this, so maybe the kid actually does make some money... Even if he doesn't he will get some kinda graduate equivalency from the tutoring he is now taking... better then if they kept him in some shit school where he was stuck playing emo kid rebelling against  his parents by wasting his future...
Srgt Killalot
+6|6430|ireland
poor kid's pipe dream is gonna turn into a real life knightmare down the road
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6701|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

source wrote:

Traditional athletes.
I thoroughly lol'd at the comparison.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6140|Scotland!
I was at first inclined to disparage the decision by his parents to let Peebles drop out of school, but it seems a little less ridiculous when you delve into the facts. Peebles hahdn't been doing well in school and wasn't liked, and even now he isn't gaming full time. He has a tutor that provides a private education, and his parents say he's doing well with the more focused instruction and that their son now even does his homework without complaint
If it helps him get along in his education, why not?

looks to me like his parents care more about him than most, they took something he had a passion for and used it to help him turn his education around.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard