CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
So my E6600 has been getting progressively hotter and hotter since I got it.  I reset the heat sink a while ago, but it didn't really help as I didn't have anything to really clean all of the old thermal paste off with.  At this point it idles at around 55C, and while that's not hot enough to really hurt it, with a Zalman CNPS9500 AT it really should be cooler.  I got one of the compressed air cans to clean any dust off of the fins of the heat sink but I also am going to buy some isopropyl alcohol to clean both the heat sink and the processor.

My question is, would This be a pure enough concentration to clean everything off the the cpu and heatsink or would I need a purer concentration?  If not where would I be able to buy the the concentration I needed?

Also, what type of cloth do you use to clean it all?
jamiet757
+138|6593
Arctic Cleaner, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, it all does the same thing pretty much.

Just do it several times until when you wipe it with a paper towel, you see no color coming off.

Last edited by jamiet757 (2008-08-17 12:41:36)

Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6205|United Kingdom
ArtiClean + Q tips + Paper Towel

trust me i've done it 4 times in the last month ...
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6598|UK
Just so you know, pretty much every guide you read or video you watch will tell you to do it differently. Each one will say that this is the best way.

That isopropyl alcohol will work just fine.

You're supposed to use lint free cloth (such as camera lens cloths or glasses cloths) but personally I don't think it matters much. As long as there's no residue left, you should be fine.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
I was about to say with thermal paste but then I noticed its the commie with brains. I just wipe it off with a handkerchief. The CPU I mean lol.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
CommieChipmunk

.Sup wrote:

I was about to say with thermal paste but then I noticed its the commie with brains. I just wipe it off with a handkerchief. The CPU I mean lol.
I have my sig for a reason
.Sup
be nice

CommieChipmunk wrote:

.Sup wrote:

I have my sig for a reason
<3
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Well firstly I don't even know what or where my processor is. So I just let air clean mine.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland
Turn off your computer and take off your heat sink. Wipe off all thermal paste that you can with a soft cloth or anything (nothing that will crumble). Even once it is clean, use some isopropyl to clean the top of your CPU.  (this is important! I can vouch personally) Then put a small blob of CPU paste (I use Arctic Cooler 5 myself) - it is preference whether you want to spread it or if you just want to set your heatsink on top and let it spread out naturally. Personally, I spread it with an old credit card or similar evenly. Then put your heatsink back on and you should be good to go. It will take a while for it to set in, but after about a day or two you should know whether you have done it right.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

kylef wrote:

use some isopropyl to clean the top of your CPU.
high quality isopropyl alcohol, mind you (90%+ i would say)
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6434|cuntshitlake

haffeysucks wrote:

kylef wrote:

70+ is fine
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
G-NOT_(:0)
Banned
+19|5970

kylef wrote:

Turn off your computer.
lol, I think that's the obvious part...
.Sup
be nice

G-NOT_(:0) wrote:

kylef wrote:

Turn off your computer.
Its obvious for CommieChipmunk but not for CommieKiller. It needs to be clear for future reference.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland

.Sup wrote:

G-NOT_(:0) wrote:

kylef wrote:

Turn off your computer.
Its obvious for CommieChipmunk but not for CommieKiller. It needs to be clear for future reference.
I can understand why it was done ... it's just still pretty funny
jaymz9350
+54|6548
I always try to use 90+ iso alcohol (if I have it) though you can use lower % the higher the better as the lower the % the more residue can be left behind.  As said before things like nail polish remover can be used in a pinch but they also will leave a small amound of residue but won't really hurt much if any.   

Normally I use the alcohol and a paper towel to remove all the paste and then alcohol and a coffee filter (they are lint free) to make sure it's all the way clean.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

I just use metho
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
Isopropyl Alcohol + Coffee Filter.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

CrazeD wrote:

Isopropyl Alcohol + Coffee Filter.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

DeathUnlimited wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

kylef wrote:

70+ is fine
not as good imo
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6643|Colorado
I just blow it out with a can of air.
CommieChipmunk
I use 91%

But.... When I was cleaning it, a little of the isopropyl made it's way around the processor and got on the very corner of the underside of the CPU... Now my computer sounds really fucking weird when it's on, like a constant clicking or something and I can't tell if it's coming from my hard drive (because it kind of sounds like a hard drive when it's searching), my power supply or my processor...

Didn't commiekiller use isopropyl to clean is processor when he fuxed it up?  What is this sound?!
Brasso
+1,549|6601

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I use 91%

But.... When I was cleaning it, a little of the isopropyl made it's way around the processor and got on the very corner of the underside of the CPU... Now my computer sounds really fucking weird when it's on, like a constant clicking or something and I can't tell if it's coming from my hard drive (because it kind of sounds like a hard drive when it's searching), my power supply or my processor...

Didn't commiekiller use isopropyl to clean is processor when he fuxed it up?  What is this sound?!
alcohol should have evaporated so quickly i wouldnt worry about it.  i dont know where that sounds coming from, but i dont think its the cpu.

p.s.: all users with "commie" in their name are cursed by the tech gods
CommieChipmunk

haffeysucks wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I use 91%

alcohol should have evaporated so quickly i wouldnt worry about it.  i dont know where that sounds coming from, but i dont think its the cpu.

p.s.: all users with "commie" in their name are cursed by the tech gods
no fucking kidding... right after I posted this, I got a blue screen -- something about kernal something or other -- and a second after that my computer crashed.  It was my hard drive.  Guess I'll just add it to the other THREE hard drives I've had fail on me in the last THREE years.  Fucking seagate, I'm so tired of this bullshit.

Scratch that it wasn't my hard drive...

I'm so confused now, I can't find where the sound is coming from.. it sounds like the clicking my old gateway computer would make when I put the CPU under load

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2008-08-17 20:14:55)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
I've never had a HDD fail on me and I've had this rig for over a year -shrugs-
CommieChipmunk
it was my vantec hard drive fan cooler failing...

Whew

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard