Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire
US fighters suffer more defeats

The US have won a record 48 Olympic boxing golds over the years and have previously never left the Games with fewer than two medals. Now in Beijing 2008 they have only one fighter left going into the semis - heavyweight Deontay Wilder, who struggled to beat Morocco's Mohammed Arjaoui on countback.

What has gone wrong with American amateur boxing?
i g
Banned
+876|5862|GA

boxing sucks

mma ftw
Stimey
­
+786|6118|Ontario | Canada

i g wrote:

ufc ftw
­
­
­
­
­
­
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
They are missing dirty, old school boxers. Biting an ear off ftw.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

i g wrote:

boxing sucks

mma ftw
I like mixed martial arts and cage fighting too but I still like boxing, it could be argued that more skill is involved because the fighter has less 'weapons' at his disposal. Cage fighting is more akin to real life fighting but boxing is often better to watch, once they hit the deck and start wrestling in MMA I just fall asleep.
.Sup
be nice
I like K1 a lot. I don't watch other martial arts.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714
Boxing is dead... MMA has taken it's place...  Don King(promoter) is a joke...
Love is the answer
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Boxing isn't dead, look at the ratings. Just because you don't watch it doesn't mean nobody else does. Boxing is bigger than MMA or whatever in a lot of other countries.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

.Sup wrote:

I like K1 a lot. I don't watch other martial arts.
K1 for me is the best, by far the most exciting to watch with exciting fighters and big personalities fighting in it.

Jerome Le Banner ftw

https://www.free-sport-wallpapers.com/k1-ufc/jerome_le_banner.jpg
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

jord wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Boxing isn't dead, look at the ratings. Just because you don't watch it doesn't mean nobody else does. Boxing is bigger than MMA or whatever in a lot of other countries.
In places like Cuba, the Phillipines and in a lot of Eastern European countries now (because of the new wave of Eastern European fighters) boxing is right up there as the top sport whereas MMA would still be a fringe sport in these regions.
.Sup
be nice
Bonjasky and Musashi are my favourites.
jord

Braddock wrote:

jord wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

In places like Cuba, the Phillipines and in a lot of Eastern European countries now (because of the new wave of Eastern European fighters) boxing is right up there as the top sport whereas MMA would still be a fringe sport in these regions.
Boxing's still massive here with all the new Hatton fans. Bigger than anything else anyway, can't remember the last time I saw fighting on the free channels. (Which is all I've got).

Last edited by jord (2008-08-17 09:01:58)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714

jord wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

that's cool... i meant basically in the US...  I say boxing is dead with a kind of sadness... it's still around but has lost it's way...
people have gravitated to MMA because it's what boxing was... young and fresh and full of interesting fighters...
Love is the answer
.Sup
be nice
Jord is American?
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714

jord wrote:

Braddock wrote:

jord wrote:

Boxing's still massive here with all the new Hatton fans. Bigger than anything else anyway, can't remember the last time I saw fighting on the free channels. (Which is all I've got).
I was in Las Vegas during the Hatton fight... there were a ton of wild English fans... they were cool... and as drunk as me...lol
Love is the answer
i g
Banned
+876|5862|GA

.Sup wrote:

Jord is American?
ummm
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

jord wrote:

Braddock wrote:

jord wrote:

Britain and Ireland are having a real boxing renaissance at the moment with the likes of Hatton, Calzaghe, Haye and Khan in Britain and Andy Lee, John Duddy, Paul McCloskey and Bernard Dunne here in Ireland pulling in the viewers and staking their claims on the global boxing stage. I've always found it ironic that as Ireland's economy has soared all our previous sporting prowess has dwindled except for boxing, which has traditionally been regarded the working class sport for the downtrodden man.
jord

.Sup wrote:

Jord is American?
No...? Where did I say that?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
needs moar chuck liddell to bite the head off of his opponents
Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

MMA > All
.Sup
be nice

jord wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Jord is American?
No...? Where did I say that?
Sorry if I have offended you.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6130

Poseidon wrote:

needs moar chuck liddell to bite the head off of his opponents
I think Chuck Liddell is going to have a hard time as a 205'er considering light-heavyweight is the most stacked weight class in the ufc right now.

Some say mma takes less skills but it's really become to the point that mixed martial arts is ran accurate title. Back when UFC first started it was just a guy being experienced in one form of martial arts. There were the greco-roman wrestlers, the BJJ fighters, Kick Boxers, and brawlers. Now being good in one of those doesn't work. You've got to learn both how to fight on the ground and standing. BJJ, Muay thai, a bit of judo (rare but there's some good judo tosses every once in awhile), wrestling, and training for boxing as well. You could be the best boxer but if you were fighting a wrestler you'd get taken down and submitted. And it's not like they train in all areas and aren't good in any one field. Most these guys start out in one specific area and become great in that, then move onto other martial arts. Look at anderson silva, he's the best right now because not only is he a black belt in bjj he's a great muay thai fighter as well. He can destroy you standing, or submit you on the ground.

Last edited by NateWiese (2008-08-17 10:59:32)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6392|The Gem Saloon
boxing is now obsolete.
as many have already pointed out, MMA is taking over.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6617|Medford, WI

Parker wrote:

boxing is now obsolete.
as many have already pointed out, MMA is taking over.
yeah I dont know anyone in my town that watches boxing anymore
liquix
+51|6452|Peoples Republic of Portland
Because saying "I'm American" doesn't make you a better boxer

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard