Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire
Here is a clip of a 12 year old American girl from the Bay Area being interviewed on FOX News after being caught up in bomb attacks while visiting the South Ossetian region. The interview is going quite well until she mentions a few things that FOX don't appear to want to hear...

Last edited by Braddock (2008-08-17 07:04:38)

Clark W Griswald
Banned
+15|6398|Chicago
Let me get this straight.  The girls mother starts spouting off about who started it when experts can't even come to a conclusion yet and this proves what?  And the russians bomb a restaurant that this poor girl was in somehow helps your argument also?  It would also appear that the interviewer did not want to get into the blame game, he just wanted to tell the story of the girl.  There is plenty of time in a 24 hour news cycle to discuss who started it.  I think you are way off base Braddock.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6758|San Antonio, Texas
Looks like they were up against a hard-break, you can thank commercials for that.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

Clark W Griswald wrote:

Let me get this straight.  The girls mother starts spouting off about who started it when experts can't even come to a conclusion yet and this proves what?  And the russians bomb a restaurant that this poor girl was in somehow helps your argument also?  It would also appear that the interviewer did not want to get into the blame game, he just wanted to tell the story of the girl.  There is plenty of time in a 24 hour news cycle to discuss who started it.  I think you are way off base Braddock.
Forget what the mother is saying about who is to blame in the wider scenario, that is only her opinion. What is of note here is that the little girl said the town they were in was shelled by Georgian[b] troops, she said the Russian troops were the only ones who helped the Ossetians in their town, the mother said over a thousand people were killed by the opening [b]Georgian attack on the town.

I'm just sick and tired of everyone going on about "poor, innocent Georgia" and how we should be doing something to help them (possibly risking WW3). They are every bit to blame in this conflict.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

So he brings her back from the break and gives her additional time to say more. Clearly he's keeping her from speaking her mind.

She's S. Ossetian FFS. Did you really expect her to NOT lambast Georgia?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Looks like they were up against a hard-break, you can thank commercials for that.
Is it just me or do FOX News have an advertisement break like every 50 seconds? Well the International version we get here in Ireland and the UK does anyway.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6451|The Twilight Zone
Close your eyes and ears from the truth. Thats what the reporter did. The girl and aunt did make this up.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

FEOS wrote:

So he brings her back from the break and gives her additional time to say more. Clearly he's keeping her from speaking her mind.
True, he was generous enough to give her a whole 30 seconds (complete with reminders every ten seconds!) to finish her comments.

FEOS wrote:

The little girl is American actually, are you saying she was lying about the Georgian bombs falling on the cafe she was in?
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Is it just me or do FOX News have an advertisement break like every 50 seconds? Well the International version we get here in Ireland and the UK does anyway.
It's called making money.

Networks make money via selling advertising time.

The most-watched networks sell the most advertising time.

If the number of advertising breaks annoy you, it should tell you something about the number of people who watch that network.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

True, he was generous enough to give her a whole 30 seconds (complete with reminders every ten seconds!) to finish her comments.
Reporters do that all the time, to try to help the guests wrap up their comments.

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The little girl is American actually, are you saying she was lying about the Georgian bombs falling on the cafe she was in?
I was talking about the old lady, since you were claiming Smith cut off the person telling him "what Fox didn't want to hear". The only one talking at the cutoff was the aunt.

Sorry for being detail-oriented and paying attention. I'll try to curtail that next time.
― Albert Einstein

.Sup
be nice

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

In this case its called censorship.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

If the number of advertising breaks annoy you, it should tell you something about the number of people who watch that network.
I am quite aware of the mechanics of the advertising industry thank you very much, I have worked very closely with it in the past.

One can also argue that the more a station or network is funded from advertising the less objective it is when it comes to reporting news i.e. it has more people that it can't afford to piss off or offend in its reporting.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6484|Latvia

Braddock wrote:

Forget what the mother is saying about who is to blame in the wider scenario, that is only her opinion. What is of note here is that the little girl said the town they were in was shelled by Georgian troops, she said the Russian troops were the only ones who helped the Ossetians in their town, the mother said over a thousand people were killed by the opening Georgian attack on the town.

I'm just sick and tired of everyone going on about "poor, innocent Georgia" and how we should be doing something to help them (possibly risking WW3). They are every bit to blame in this conflict.
Oh come on, as if that mother was that neutral and unbiased. Besides, yes Georgia started it, but that doesn't mean Russia can do what ever they want there. Saakashvilli should be impeached though.
.Sup
be nice

BALTINS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Forget what the mother is saying about who is to blame in the wider scenario, that is only her opinion. What is of note here is that the little girl said the town they were in was shelled by Georgian troops, she said the Russian troops were the only ones who helped the Ossetians in their town, the mother said over a thousand people were killed by the opening Georgian attack on the town.

Oh come on, as if that mother was that neutral and unbiased. Besides, yes Georgia started it, but that doesn't mean Russia can do what ever they want there. Saakashvilli should be impeached though.
You are biased, sorry.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6484|Latvia

.Sup wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

You are biased, sorry.
Explain.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

.Sup wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

And how's that?

Are you speculating that if they had been saying something else, that there wouldn't have been a hard stop time?

If so, you're (respectfully) full of shit.
― Albert Einstein

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

QFT

It doesn't matter though.  Fuck Georgia.  It's not our problem.  Let the Russkies take over for all I care.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I am quite aware of the mechanics of the advertising industry thank you very much, I have worked very closely with it in the past.

One can also argue that the more a station or network is funded from advertising the less objective it is when it comes to reporting news i.e. it has more people that it can't afford to piss off or offend in its reporting.
One can certainly argue that...but even news organizations that supposedly receive little to no advertising funding (PBS news in the US) clearly have agenda-drive biases. You simply can't get away from it.

I don't recall seeing any pro-Georgia or anti-Russia advertisements on Fox lately...
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Reporters do that all the time, to try to help the guests wrap up their comments.
A bit like counting down the seconds to put someone off their concentration when answering a question in a quiz for example.

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I was talking about the old lady, since you were claiming Smith cut off the person telling him "what Fox didn't want to hear". The only one talking at the cutoff was the aunt.

Sorry for being detail-oriented and paying attention. I'll try to curtail that next time.
It's fair enough to follow the point of view that it was just unfortunately time for an ad break right at that moment, I didn't see the program when it went out live so I don't know if it was a scheduled break or not...I understand US shows do sometimes break for an ad right before the end of a show so it's entirely possible. You never answered my question though - are you claiming these interviewees were making up the fact that the Georgian army were shelling Ossetian villages and killing inhabitants with their opening asault on the region?
.Sup
be nice

BALTINS wrote:

.Sup wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

You are biased, sorry.
Explain.
Well wasn't Latvia repressed by Russia? By repressed I mean invaded.

FEOS wrote:

.Sup wrote:

FEOS wrote:

And how's that?

Are you speculating that if they had been saying something else, that there wouldn't have been a hard stop time?

If so, you're (respectfully) full of shit.
I believe if that woman and the girl were praising the Georgians that "commercial" would not had happened.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

A bit like counting down the seconds to put someone off their concentration when answering a question in a quiz for example.
That would be an example of something, but not an example of what I was talking about.

Life must be extremely unpleasant to be such an utter pessimist.

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

It's fair enough to follow the point of view that it was just unfortunately time for an ad break right at that moment, I didn't see the program when it went out live so I don't know if it was a scheduled break or not...I understand US shows do sometimes break for an ad right before the end of a show so it's entirely possible. You never answered my question though - are you claiming these interviewees were making up the fact that the Georgian army were shelling Ossetian villages and killing inhabitants with their opening asault on the region?
No I'm not claiming that they're making anything up. Hence, no claims in my post of that. Not sure why you would ask it, if I didn't even imply it.

You were talking about cutting off the interviewee because of the claims the interviewee was making, not our personal feelings on the veracity of the interviewee's claims. It's entirely plausible that those things happened...particularly if you're looking at it from the "S Ossetian in the middle of it" perspective. Not knowing what the targets were (ie, what were the CoGs the Georgian military was going after?), I can't speak to it in any capacity.
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

FEOS wrote:

I don't recall seeing any pro-Georgia or anti-Russia advertisements on Fox lately...
It doesn't have to be as black and white as that, I'm not claiming there is some sort of strange company out there that simply hates Russia and advertises this fact on FOX. As an example imagine a large oil company advertises on a news station and the oil company has ties to a lobby group pushing for conflict in a region that will result in oil prices being driven up, this alone could provide reason enough for the station to favour news stories that lean towards and advocate conflict in this region (possibly painting one side out to be the bad guys on a continual basis).
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6484|Latvia

.Sup wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

.Sup wrote:

You are biased, sorry.
Explain.
Well wasn't Latvia repressed by Russia? By repressed I mean invaded.
Yes it was and yes I am, Russia hasn't been very friendly for the past 70 years so what to wonder.
Still, I supported the invasion of S. Ossetia, but not what they did afterwards.
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

.Sup wrote:

I believe if that woman and the girl were praising the Georgians that "commercial" would not had happened.
And you would be wrong.

I've seen people who are spouting the supposed Fox party line get cut off by commercial breaks.
― Albert Einstein

imortal
+240|6663|Austin, TX

.Sup wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

They didn't have to put her on the air in the first place.  Not censorship.  Besides, only goverments censor.  Companies "prioritize content."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard