JahManRed
wank
+646|6645|IRELAND

kylef wrote:

Maybe we should try and fix the protestant/catholic issue before the creationism/evolution/god theory ... I mean I know the situation has improved but let's face it, it isn't exactly brilliant. I'm cool with it being taught in a theory class, but not as fact. This is why I have an issue with an RE class. At least in my school, it is mandatory and despite the fact that I do believe in God, I don't think it should be. Yes, the Christian faith is probably higher than the Muslim faith but we sure as hell don't have any muslim teaching classes.

Don't make it mandatory. Teach it as a theory. Show people other options and tell them blatantly "this is not a fact" and I'm cool with that. But even at that, most people are stupid enough to believe pretty much anything. I speak from personal experience.
My RE teacher was great. He was really religious. But always gave us alternative explanations to miracles etc. Like he would explain how the parting of the red sea could have been tidal shift and so on. He explained the other religions to us too.
He set me off thinking outside the box with regards to religion.
Unfortunately their are few like him.

Id pull my kid out of school if they started with the creationism crap.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Bell wrote:

Evolution is portraid as being ''anti God'' by much of the fundy movment, which is simply not the case.  All it does is rule out a literal interpritation of the bible, which, if you thought was plausable you shouldnt really be allowed out during the day (or night for that matter).

This said though, I dont think the likes of Richard Dawkings aserting that you cant be an evolutionist and a theist is helping matters either.

Creationism is a knee jerk reaction to a ''problem'' that doesnt exist.

Edit:  Infact now that I think about it.  Considering it aserts that there bible isnt literal, it throws up the posibility (or probability amoung atheists) that things like the resurection where metaphorical at best, which fucks the whole thing up.  So, they pretty much cant allow any of it to be brought down (or atleast let it happily), because it opens the flood gates to everything else being torn appart.

Martyn
True, however no where in the Bible does it specifically say the worlds is 4000 (or whatever it is) years old. That's just something they've somehow come up with. I don't think that it necisarily renders the rest of it void if you admit the world is older than 4k years. The majority of Christians do not believe this crap, and still get along fine.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

Ottomania wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=70774

I know, creationist theory is unprovable, but that doesnt mean that evolution theory is true.
Evolution is put forward as a THEORY and many, many scientists have amassed a huge amount of evidence and research that back the theory up, if any creationists come up with any actual evidence to counter the evolutionist theory then I'd be very surprised to find ANY scientist who would refuse to reassess and reevaluate the theory in light of this new evidence; the whole ethos of scientific research is to evaluate things on the basis of all available evidence. But the fact of the matter is creationist theory has consistently failed to come up with any credible evidence that can stand up to the rigours of scientific evaluation, until that day comes I will consider creationism to be nothing more than fairy tales.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

kylef wrote:

Maybe we should try and fix the protestant/catholic issue before the creationism/evolution/god theory ... I mean I know the situation has improved but let's face it, it isn't exactly brilliant. I'm cool with it being taught in a theory class, but not as fact. This is why I have an issue with an RE class. At least in my school, it is mandatory and despite the fact that I do believe in God, I don't think it should be. Yes, the Christian faith is probably higher than the Muslim faith but we sure as hell don't have any muslim teaching classes.

Don't make it mandatory. Teach it as a theory. Show people other options and tell them blatantly "this is not a fact" and I'm cool with that. But even at that, most people are stupid enough to believe pretty much anything. I speak from personal experience.
I don't think religion should be taught in schools in general but I particularly feel it should not be taught in schools in Northern Ireland given the sectarian issues that exist in the six counties. If you want your child to be raised with a Catholic or Protestant education then send them to a Catholic or Protestant school, public schools should not pander to any one religion or any elite group of religions.

On the issue of creationism, it has no place in a science class. The only things that should be taught in a science class are theories that submit themselves to the full rigours of scientific evaluation. Science in a sense is like a court of law that weighs up all available evidence and creationism in effect is asking the court to accept the testimony of a witness with no alibi.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker
Why are you asking for God's help with the situation if you don't believe in Him ...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

Stingray24 wrote:

Why are you asking for God's help with the situation if you don't believe in Him ...
For ironic effect.
Stingray24
Ah ok. 

As I see it, the theory of evolution and intelligent design are quite similar.  Scientists researching our origins have come to 2 different conclusions while digging through the evidence available to them.  I doubt we'll ever prove either one to the point of scientific fact because we're too far removed from the event.  Believe evolution is more scientific if you like, but both sides have their own viewpoint even before research and approach science with said viewpoint.  To say one theory is more scientific reveals you simply agree with their point of view.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

Stingray24 wrote:

Ah ok. 

As I see it, the theory of evolution and intelligent design are quite similar.  Scientists researching our origins have come to 2 different conclusions while digging through the evidence available to them.  I doubt we'll ever prove either one to the point of scientific fact because we're too far removed from the event.  Believe evolution is more scientific if you like, but both sides have their own viewpoint even before research and approach science with said viewpoint.  To say one theory is more scientific reveals you simply agree with their point of view.
In what way would you say they are similar? To my knowledge evolution does not put any of nature's adaptation traits down to any kind of deity. Can you explain to me any of the actual scientific evidence put forward to back up the theory of creationism/intelligent design because all the 'evidence' I've ever seen for it has been utterly ridiculous.
topal63
. . .
+533|6735

Stingray24 wrote:

Ah ok. 

No offense intended but you are dead wrong.

Intelligent design is not a scientific theory - nor is it a different (scientific) perspective; it's debunked nonsense that was based upon an agenda and irrational theology surrounding - supposed (the theologic-like supposition of evil) effects produced; brought about; by scientific materialism (and of course intelligent design is not creationism - that's much more specific and absurd).

Last edited by topal63 (2008-08-09 13:40:37)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6485
There was some guy on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. He was talking about Creationism/Intelligent Design or whatever it's called now. He said that calling the Bible a book of Science is insulting the Bible as you are denying the Spiritual Truths of in it if you say it is Science/History.

That's how I feel on this whole creationism matter.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

There was some guy on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. He was talking about Creationism/Intelligent Design or whatever it's called now. He said that calling the Bible a book of Science is insulting the Bible as you are denying the Spiritual Truths of in it if you say it is Science/History.
That's fine by me...leave it out of the science class and discuss it during religion (read as 'fairy tales') class.
topal63
. . .
+533|6735

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

That's how I feel on this whole creationism matter.
I like that idea, more or less, it's sort-of similar to my conceptions of myth as the spiritual language of human psychology and spirit.

Think of it like this (maybe; sort of; that the relationship of the "real" to "God"); that which science deals with is the practical and topical nature of reality. It does not address the underlying mystery of why there's anything at all (why there is even the real; reality). Science addresses the visible Universe and the discernible processes therein. God as an abstraction, potential truth, may be addressing the mystery of mysteries and science isn't even trying to touch that; address that - at all. It (science as a collective incremental system) is just saying that specific story is more allegory than a literal truth.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-08-09 14:29:54)

Stingray24

Braddock wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Ah ok. 

In what way would you say they are similar? To my knowledge evolution does not put any of nature's adaptation traits down to any kind of deity. Can you explain to me any of the actual scientific evidence put forward to back up the theory of creationism/intelligent design because all the 'evidence' I've ever seen for it has been utterly ridiculous.
I just explained how I see them as similar in the previous post. 

To be honest, even if I could, I wouldn't waste my time explaining the evidence because it would be dismissed immediately no matter how eloquent or scientific the research.  Why?  Because you and others here detest religion and dismiss the existence of higher power/intelligent designer.  So when you approach science, you also dismiss any theory that points to an intelligent designer, not matter how scientific the research.  Just because you don't like the conclusion, doesn't mean you are justified in labeling the research as flawed ... especially when you are completely unqualified to do so.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

Stingray24 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Ah ok. 

To be honest, even if I could, I wouldn't waste my time explaining the evidence because it would be dismissed immediately no matter how eloquent or scientific the research.  Why?  Because you and others here detest religion and dismiss the existence of higher power/intelligent designer.  So when you approach science, you also dismiss any theory that points to an intelligent designer, not matter how scientific the research.  Just because you don't like the conclusion, doesn't mean you are justified in labeling the research as flawed ... especially when you are completely unqualified to do so.
I'm just asking for some evidence...any evidence...in support of the theory of creationism that stands up to the rigours of scientific scrutiny. Any such evidence would build the case for creationism to be considered as a scientific theory and not just a religious theory but I've never heard any. Why should creationism be given a pass on scientific scrutiny while all other fields of study follow the strict principles of science.

You're suggesting that creationism deserves to be taken seriously in scientific terms, why?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina

Ottomania wrote:

I know, creationist theory is unprovable, but that doesnt mean that evolution theory is true.
What's the point in believing in something that's unprovable?
imortal
+240|6682|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Turq, are we going to do this again?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
I'm just saying...  I can make up something too that makes me feel good or confirms my belief in something without rational reasons, but why should I?

I'm just wondering why people don't live their lives guided solely by reason and logic.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

Ottomania wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

creationist theory is unprovable
Isn't proof something very very important in science?
creationism isnt related with science. the problem is evolutions always want an alternative to their theory, which I want to tell but cant prove creationism because its really different stuff. Everyone believes whatever they want to. I understand that challenging evolution vs creationism is meaningless, everybody should choose his/her own way.
The earth is round is also a theory, is that bullshit too? I'd like to see them trying to teach the earth being flat in school.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

Turquoise wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Well that's a matter of faith as is the case with most religious quandaries but the discussion in this particular instance is about whether creationism holds its own as a scientific theory and it simply does not.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

BALTINS wrote:

Isn't proof something very very important in science?
creationism isnt related with science. the problem is evolutions always want an alternative to their theory, which I want to tell but cant prove creationism because its really different stuff. Everyone believes whatever they want to. I understand that challenging evolution vs creationism is meaningless, everybody should choose his/her own way.
The earth is round is also a theory, is that bullshit too? I'd like to see them trying to teach the earth being flat in school.
In my opinion creationism being brought into science classes would be just as bad as bringing the theory of the earth being flat back into geography classes. There simply isn't any credible data to back up these theories, if people want to ignore scientific data and evidence and believe these religious theories then that is their prerogative but these theories have no place in subjects that deal with facts and evidence.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6760|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
seriously though, I would like to hear a creationist explain exactly how the receding waters of "the flood" made the Giants Causeway, from the grand canyon to the giants causeway they were some waters!!.. according to Irish folk lore it was infact built by the giant Fionn McCool so he could batter a Scottish Giant, hence the name Giants causeway, tbh that's as believable as receding flood waters being responsible for the geometric columns..
imortal
+240|6682|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

I'm just saying...  I can make up something too that makes me feel good or confirms my belief in something without rational reasons, but why should I?

I'm just wondering why people don't live their lives guided solely by reason and logic.
Because we have emotion and an incredible knack for self-delusion.  And a lot of these paragons of logic and reason can be just as emotional as everyone else. 

Human beings are not logical, nor are they rational.  They are intelligent (most of us, anyhow), but this brings its own sets of difficulties.  We can reason and act rationally or logically, but we are not built that way.  It takes upbringing and education.  You know as well as I do the effect enviroment plays on childhood development. 

You do not have to understand it to accept that this is true.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6702|United States of America

IG-Calibre wrote:

seriously though, I would like to hear a creationist explain exactly how the receding waters of "the flood" made the Giants Causeway, from the grand canyon to the giants causeway they were some waters!!.. according to Irish folk lore it was infact built by the giant Fionn McCool so he could batter a Scottish Giant, hence the name Giants causeway, tbh that's as believable as receding flood waters being responsible for the geometric columns..
They can't. If they are stupid enough to interpret the stories of the Bible literally after all these years, they just go with what they've been told and won't be able to answer beyond "God did it".
imortal
+240|6682|Austin, TX

Braddock wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I'm just asking for some evidence...any evidence...in support of the theory of creationism that stands up to the rigours of scientific scrutiny. Any such evidence would build the case for creationism to be considered as a scientific theory and not just a religious theory but I've never heard any. Why should creationism be given a pass on scientific scrutiny while all other fields of study follow the strict principles of science.

You're suggesting that creationism deserves to be taken seriously in scientific terms, why?
I do not think creationism is a science.  However, as long as evolution and the Big Bang are just theories, there is room for a competing theory.  However, I think it should not be taught as science, but as philosophy.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Ah ok. 

Try us. Instead of complaining that we won't take you seriously, why don't you put forward a proper argument.

I'm willing to keep an open mind, and actually I'd be quite interested to hear/read scientific research on intelligent design.

And no you didn't.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-10 11:30:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard