Yes53%53% - 56
No15%15% - 16
Somewhat26%26% - 28
I believe in another theory (If so specify)3%3% - 4
Total: 104
User007Gamer
???
+21|5981|Dubai, UAE
This is a topic that is debated by scientists every day. Lets hear what you think.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
Yes, but the real crux question is what came before the big bang.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6738

ATG wrote:

The short Fuse?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America

ATG wrote:

I would reckon a small bang, as we needed something to compare the relative "big" one to.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6554

DesertFox- wrote:

ATG wrote:

I would reckon a small bang, as we needed something to compare the relative "big" one to.
Ah so that's what they mean by the theory of 'relativity'...
PureFodder
+225|6284
I have no reason to believe that the people who know way more about physics than me are wrong.
ReTox
+100|6497|State of RETOXification
One idea that impresses me is that of M-Theory and brane collisions.  It is the one that makes the most layman sense to me.

The idea being that if a string (string theory) had enough energy it could expand to be of massive 2D size and would resemble a membrane floating in multidimensional space.  If two of these membranes collided there would be a massive release of energy.  We know matter and energy are interchangeable so that energy could result in a conversion into matter.  Consider all the matter in our universe as a scar on the membrane we exist on.

What is so nice about this theory is that it allows for time before the big bang.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6734|Salt Lake City

I believe it somewhat, as being the most logical answer, I just don't know that they have it completely correct.  If you look and string theory I think it helps explain a lot of the Big Bang, but doesn't completely fit into the Big Bang model.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

ATG wrote:

Lulz you should see what many of the string-theory based physics theories say..... Pretty fucked up shiznit tbh.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5996
I am swayed to the BB because, according to the evidence, that's what happened.  Show me the evidence that a magic man willed it into being over the course of six days and I'll look at it.

Also, the "No" answer and the "I believe in a different theory" answer should be combined.

Last edited by HollisHurlbut (2008-08-06 10:56:52)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Nothing. Time itself was created.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
I believe that what science is discovering, in part, is the method God used to organize matter.  As for our planet, it is simply one of many worlds he's put together and populated.  Not sure why it's so hard to believe, but it's true.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6106|Birmingham, UK
Yes. But i have one question, if the whole of everything was microscopic, what was it floating in? Was it just a dot in a sea of nothingness, E.G. a pin hole on a piece of A1 paper? What was there?

Also, how did it happen?

Last edited by SEREVENT (2008-08-06 11:06:06)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
Yes, it was even seen by the Hubble if I'm not wrong, Kmarion?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Very close. Within a few hundred million light years.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

There you go.  You can't deny the evidence a huge telescope is bringing to you.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
String theory is pseudo science with nothing behind it. A thin veil of high math deception.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5996

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Less than that.  The Universe was opaque until roughly 100,000 years after the Big Bang.  That is the limit of our visual observation, even with the best telescopes.  It's also the source of the cosmic microwave background radiation.  Images of this can be seen by doing a simple Google search for WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe).  That's the end of the line for seeing anything.  Everything else has to be probed by particle accelerators.

Last edited by HollisHurlbut (2008-08-06 11:22:40)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
I found something charming in an American's use of the word "believe" for a scientific theory...

Do you 'believe' in evolution? :p.

Yes I do think that the theory of the big-bang offers the best plausible explanation insofar as to the big question of how we got here / how did it all start.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-08-06 11:25:09)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

There you go.  You can't deny the evidence a huge telescope is bringing to you.
Before they retire the shuttle the hubble is scheduled for an upgrade. It is supposed to increase the power by 90.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France

ATG wrote:

Foreplay?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Less than that.  The Universe was opaque until roughly 100,000 years after the Big Bang.  That is the limit of our visual observation, even with the best telescopes.  It's also the source of the cosmic microwave background radiation.  Images of this can be seen by doing a simple Google search for WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe).  That's the end of the line for seeing anything.  Everything else has to be probed by particle accelerators.
He asked me about Hubble. I was referring to optical and near-infrared wavelengths.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

ReTox wrote:

One idea that impresses me is that of M-Theory and brane collisions.  It is the one that makes the most layman sense to me.

The idea being that if a string (string theory) had enough energy it could expand to be of massive 2D size and would resemble a membrane floating in multidimensional space.  If two of these membranes collided there would be a massive release of energy.  We know matter and energy are interchangeable so that energy could result in a conversion into matter.  Consider all the matter in our universe as a scar on the membrane we exist on.

What is so nice about this theory is that it allows for time before the big bang.
Aye, I believe this one too.
inane little opines
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5972|England

I believe it more than any other theories
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6517|Πάϊ
"Belief" has no place in science. With scientific theories all you can do is await evidence that will either prove or disprove it. Now do I "like" it as a theory? In the absence of other equally convincing ones, yes, somewhat. In the meantime, I'm open to other suggestions.
ƒ³

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard