NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6354|Atlanta, Georgia

Kmarion wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a Flat Earth Society discussion website, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter.
And rides through space carried on the backs of 4 giant elephants, who are standing on one giant turtle.
And what is the turtle standing on?... "It's turtles all the way down".
That's only til you hit the unicorn playing soccer on a square sun made of potato's.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6012|The Mitten

Kmarion wrote:

And what is the turtle standing on?...
It's a turtle, for heaven's sake. It swims. That's what turtles are for.
EE (hats
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

And rides through space carried on the backs of 4 giant elephants, who are standing on one giant turtle.
That's only til you hit the unicorn playing soccer on a square sun made of potato's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down
Xbone Stormsurgezz
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6354|Atlanta, Georgia

Kmarion wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down
Ahhhh, i see....
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6678|NT, like Mick Dundee

Morpheus wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And what is the turtle standing on?...
It's a turtle, for heaven's sake. It swims. That's what turtles are for.
I lol'd at the turtle problem and the Prachett references.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6356|California
Yer shitting me right?? Some people are so fucking stupid...
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6506|N. Ireland
https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1028/567650233_3caf984e4a.jpg?v=0
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6720|67.222.138.85
aimless
+166|6138|Texas

imortal wrote:

Yes, it really IS that bad.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

Here is what they think the earth looks like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … _earth.jpg

The white around the edge is the "Great Ice Wall," or what we refer to as Antartica.  Why people believe this is something I do not even pretend to know.
According to this, wouldn't it be impossible to go from Australia through Antartica to South America?

Also, flights from South America to Australia would take a lot longer.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6848|Kubra, Damn it!

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

blatantly curved, nice picture, but naysayers can argue photoshop etc.
Ill give them directions to go look for themselves.
Tell to head East from your house, and don't stop.
That won't work, compasses are in on it too.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

WIDE ANGLE LENS
If there was something centered in the frame (and focused on) yes. It would also have to be close by comparison to the rest of the landscape. I get that sometimes with my camera .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6678|Austin, TX

aimless wrote:

imortal wrote:

Yes, it really IS that bad.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

Here is what they think the earth looks like:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … _earth.jpg

The white around the edge is the "Great Ice Wall," or what we refer to as Antartica.  Why people believe this is something I do not even pretend to know.
According to this, wouldn't it be impossible to go from Australia through Antartica to South America?

Also, flights from South America to Australia would take a lot longer.
They have an incredibly crazy line of logic.  Some of the high points:

-All of the governments are in on it.  The Ice Wall is monitered by the military to shoot down or sink anyone approaching the Ice Wall to maintain the illusion that we are on a globe.

-The entire space program is faked.  Yes, all of them.

-Airliners use sleeping gas to knock out the passengers to avoid having them see the Ice Wall.

Yes, they are nutters.  They have their own convoluted theory of physics to account for how everything works.

wiki wrote:

The modern Flat Earth Society describes the Earth as being a disc with a diameter of about 40,000 km (24,900 miles) and a circumference of 126,000 km (78,225 miles). The sun and moon are both discs about 52 km (32 miles) in diameter (although some sources say that the sun and moon are spheres) and are about 4,800 km (3,000 miles) above the Earth, and the stars about 160 km (100 miles) above the sun and moon.

The Flat Earth Society also maintains that the Earth is accelerating upward at a rate of 9.8 m/s², thereby simulating gravity. [5] This upward momentum is caused by a form of dark energy. Gravity cannot exist on a flat Earth since the disc shape would eventually collapse on itself. However in a few Flat Earth models, other planetary bodies such as the moon and the sun are alleged to have gravitational pulls, causing the gravitational force on an object to decrease as it increases in altitude. This also allows spacecraft to "orbit".

The planetary bodies above the Earth revolve above it, thereby causing sunrise and sunset to occur. As the sun moves farther away, it shrinks until it is no longer able to be seen. The same phenomenon occurs with the stars to cause their movement.

The sinking ship effect is explained by a series of perspective laws, in which a ship on the horizon intersects with the vanishing point, causing it to appear as if it is sinking. The Flat Earth Society holds that there are multiple first hand accounts of the hulls of ships reappearing after the image is viewed through a telescope or binoculars.

A diagram depicting Flat Earth Seasons.The exact explanation for lunar eclipses in the Flat Earth theory is vague. However, two commonly accepted hypotheses are the Shadow Object Theory (that an object undiscovered and undetectable by science obscures the moon causing moon phases and lunar eclipses) and the Reflection hypothesis (the sun's light reflects off the Earth and reflects back to the moon, with some areas of the Earth being less reflective than others, thus producing shadows). There is also a minority which believes moon phases are caused by weather patterns on the moon.

As the sun orbits over the Earth, the Flat Earth theory maintains that the sun's orbit radius changes, causing it to be directly overhead different locations at different times of the year. There is no explanation of the mechanism that causes this
source

And if you think that is nuts, try their official website forum.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6703|Tampa Bay Florida

Tom Bishop wrote:

For example, when asked what exists beyond the Antarctic rim I notice that you say with conviction that there is some sort of 80,000 foot tall ice wall. When asked how you know this to be true, you have no answer and will shoot off into the topic of mysterious deaths of Antarctic explorers. However, when I am asked what exists beyond the Antarctic rim I will simply reply that what exists beyond the Antarctic rim is unknown to present human knowledge and then perhaps briefly mention that some people suppose that there is an edge, a wall, or an infinite expanse of ice and snow stretching in every direction.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6658
Ruski are providing round trips around the planet so if u got the money you should take a trip and see the world is not flat
imortal
+240|6678|Austin, TX

Spearhead wrote:

Tom Bishop wrote:

For example, when asked what exists beyond the Antarctic rim I notice that you say with conviction that there is some sort of 80,000 foot tall ice wall. When asked how you know this to be true, you have no answer and will shoot off into the topic of mysterious deaths of Antarctic explorers. However, when I am asked what exists beyond the Antarctic rim I will simply reply that what exists beyond the Antarctic rim is unknown to present human knowledge and then perhaps briefly mention that some people suppose that there is an edge, a wall, or an infinite expanse of ice and snow stretching in every direction.
Just curious about the math... I mean, I know they say 80,000 feet to account for why we have an atmosphere.  But I am really wondering how far away you can see the edge of a wall 80,000 feet up.  That is 15.15 miles!  So, a solid wall 15 miles high... how far away could that be seen? Especially if the Earth is flat, and there is no curvature to block the wall out!

Only problem is, if I am going to poke all the holes in theri theory, I will never get to sleep.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6703|Tampa Bay Florida
I'm convinced that 90 percent of them are doing it as a joke.  If anyone seriously believes this stuff, they need to see a mental health professional.
topal63
. . .
+533|6731
Is earth really flat?

Gorg wonder too? Is earth flat? Think Gorg no is earth flat. Gorg hope help.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

I'm convinced that 90 percent of them are doing it as a joke.  If anyone seriously believes this stuff, they need to see a mental health professional.
It's like the claim anything and I'll prove it wrong thread.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)
@OP: It all depends on your definition of 'flat'.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6614|132 and Bush

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I've read through their forums.. gravity is a lie.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6779|Cambridge (UK)

Kmarion wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I've read through their forums.. gravity is a lie.
Not sure how that makes the planet flat...

I was thinking along the lines of how the surface of a sphere can be described as a finite unbounded plane.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6634|London, England
I remember going to that forum and asking how do I sign up to become an Ice Wall Guard because I want to protect the conspiracy. I can't remember what they replied. It was some bullshit though.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6513|so randum

Morpheus wrote:

James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a Flat Earth Society discussion website, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter.
great books
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6196|Ireland
Of course the earth is flat, if it wasn't all the water would run to the bottom.  duh.
User007Gamer
???
+21|5995|Dubai, UAE
for the Flat Earth (Imbecil) Community:

Scientific proof of a round planet: If you have an aircraft that is flying very low over the ocean and you have a ground based radar station tracking the plane as it is moving away, you will find that after a while the plane disappears from the radar screen even though it has not gone off the edge. This is caused by the curviture of the Earth. The signals transmitted by the radar station will not follow the curviture of the Earth, instead they will go in a straight line. Therefore, you will have a radar 'dead zone' where you are unable to track aircraft flying below a certain altitude at a certain distance. Don't believe me? Ask any real-life air traffic controller or even better, visit an ATC center. This is genuine, scientific proof that the Earth is round.

Last edited by User007Gamer (2008-08-07 01:29:27)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard