blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645
In the 21st Century, the term "flat-earther" is used to describe someone who is spectacularly - and seemingly wilfully - ignorant. But there is a group of people who claim they believe the planet really is flat. Are they really out there or is it all an elaborate prank?

Nasa is celebrating its 50th birthday with much fanfare and pictures of past glories. But in half a century of extraordinary images of space, one stands out.On 24 December 1968, the crew of the Apollo 8 mission took a photo now known as Earthrise. To many, this beautiful blue sphere viewed from the moon's orbit is a perfect visual summary of why it is right to strive to go into space.Not to everybody though. There are people who say they think this image is fake - part of a worldwide conspiracy by space agencies, governments and scientists.Welcome to the world of the flat-earther.Our attitude towards those who once upon a time believed in the flatness of the earth is apparent in a new Microsoft advert.

satellite era

But are there any genuine flat-earthers left? Surely in our era of space exploration - where satellites take photos of our blue and clearly globular planet from space, and robots send back info about soil and water from Mars - no one can seriously still believe that the Earth is flat?

Wrong.

Flat earth theory is still around. On the internet and in small meeting rooms in Britain and the US, flat earth believers get together to challenge the "conspiracy" that the Earth is round.
"People are definitely prejudiced against flat-earthers," says John Davis, a flat earth theorist based in Tennessee, reacting to the new Microsoft commercial."Many use the term 'flat-earther' as a term of abuse, and with connotations that imply blind faith, ignorance or even anti-intellectualism."Mr Davis, a 25-year-old computer scientist originally from Canada, first became interested in flat earth theory after "coming across some literature from the Flat Earth Society a few years ago".

"I came to realise how much we take at face value," he says. "We humans seem to be pleased with just accepting what we are told, no matter how much it goes against our senses."Mr Davis now believes "the Earth is flat and horizontally infinite - it stretches horizontally forever".
And it is at least 9,000 kilometres deep", he adds.James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a Flat Earth Society discussion website, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter."Mr McIntyre, who describes himself as having been "raised a globularist in the British state school system", says the reactions of his friends and family to his new beliefs vary from "sheer incredulity to the conviction that it's all just an elaborate joke".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

state what u think?

Last edited by blademaster (2008-08-04 14:39:58)

Roc18
`
+655|5791|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
Tell them to use a telescope and look at the shape of other planets for themselves. Unless they think the earth is the only flat planet in the universe and in that case take them into outer space and show them to shut them up.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

Or just use a ruler and try to line it up with the horizon.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
No it's actually quite round
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6405|Earth
Yeah, anybody that believes that the Earth is flat should be put on a rocket, flown around the world to show them, then fly them directly into the sun.
Signature
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida
What would the motive be of fooling people into thinking the world was round, if it wasnt?
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Why dont they try walking off it?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6549|UK

Spearhead wrote:

What would the motive be of fooling people into thinking the world was round, if it wasnt?
Indeed.  I read the other guys, but, I could just hear the people saying things like the windows have a special shape to make the earth appear to be round or something like that.  I think what you said is the best case against it (appart from, zomg yo crazy fucka).

Martyn
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
Tell them to either:
1. Look at the moon
2. Get on an airplane and get to an altitude where one can see the curvature of the planet and then crash the aforementioned airplane.
paul386
+22|6245
Lies.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6690|Tampa Bay Florida

DesertFox- wrote:

Tell them to either:
1. Look at the moon
2. Get on an airplane and get to an altitude where one can see the curvature of the planet and then crash the aforementioned airplane.
Or tell them to go to a major shipping port and look at the horizon.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-08-04 15:18:11)

weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6165|California

Bell wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Indeed.  I read the other guys, but, I could just hear the people saying things like the windows have a special shape to make the earth appear to be round or something like that.  I think what you said is the best case against it (appart from, zomg yo crazy fucka).

Martyn
Well, I have a cousin who honestly believes that the sun and all the planets rotate around the earth.  Applying the question, what would their motive be for lying about it?  His response would be: to take people away from god by lying about how the solar system is really shaped.

So my guess would be that it may have something to do with religion or government conspiracy to keep the people ignorant for the NWO...who knows

Turquoise wrote:

Well, considering there are quite a few people who seem to believe the world is only 6,000 years old...  it's really not surprising.  The human mind can rationalize anything.
He also believes this for the same reason mentioned above =/

Last edited by weerdfoo1 (2008-08-04 15:41:40)

Thorax
Banned
+77|5804
Yes, it's a conspiracy because 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the world is in on it. 

Damn, they found us out.  Let's just tell them the truth boys.
Jrdeacs
+22|5899
NO
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
The conspiracies you can't actually see with the naked eye are better.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
Well, considering there are quite a few people who seem to believe the world is only 6,000 years old...  it's really not surprising.  The human mind can rationalize anything.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

https://i33.tinypic.com/2lse9e8.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
imortal
+240|6665|Austin, TX
Yes, it really IS that bad.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

Here is what they think the earth looks like:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Flat_earth.jpg

The white around the edge is the "Great Ice Wall," or what we refer to as Antartica.  Why people believe this is something I do not even pretend to know.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

blatantly curved, nice picture, but naysayers can argue photoshop etc.

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-08-04 20:40:34)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Mutantsteak wrote:

Ill give them directions to go look for themselves.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

Ill give them directions to go look for themselves.
Tell to head East from your house, and don't stop.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut
It's probably the Scientologists who think the world is flat.
Malloy must go
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

They should start saving their coins http://www.virgingalactic.com/flash.htm … ge=english . A mere $200k
That's a 100% way to be vindicated. If they start claiming that they are just in some elaborate simulator shoot their ass out into the vacuum of space. One less nut on the planet.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5999|The Mitten
James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a Flat Earth Society discussion website, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter.
And rides through space carried on the backs of 4 giant elephants, who are standing on one giant turtle.
EE (hats
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Morpheus wrote:

James McIntyre, a British-based moderator of a Flat Earth Society discussion website, has a slightly different take. "The Earth is, more or less, a disc," he states. "Obviously it isn't perfectly flat thanks to geological phenomena like hills and valleys. It is around 24,900 miles in diameter.
And rides through space carried on the backs of 4 giant elephants, who are standing on one giant turtle.
And what is the turtle standing on?... "It's turtles all the way down".
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard