[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6202

Mutantsteak wrote:

Stimey wrote:

Lol, I would have been terrified. At least you got down safely
I hear its safer flying in a plane than driving in a car.
statistically, but since more people drive than fly daily then there's bound to be more accidents in a car
Exactly, by number, way more people die in car crashes then plane crashes, but way few people fly daily then drive cars. Statistically, your chances of dyeing in a plane crash is about the same as your chance of dyeing in a car. (Source is the book Freakanomics)
wensleydale8
+81|6793|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
maybe if you didnt stop fapping the flaps wouldn't have failed?
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6738|US
Well, with regards to mechanical failures, that one wasn't too bad.  The jet just had to land a little faster than normal [and hope nothing else was wrong!]  Not as bad as that F-15 that lost it's entire wing!

Glad everything worked out.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6154|Carnoustie MASSIF
Lucky, you guys hear about the Qantas plane that suffered explosive decrompession outside Hong Kong?
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6131|Birmingham, UK

Whiplash wrote:

Meh, not really a big deal. Would have sucked if the plane's hydraulics failed or landing gear.
Yeah, what does happen when the landing gear is damaged/borken/fails?
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6154|Carnoustie MASSIF
In the words of Billy Connelly "We will hit the ground like a fucking dart"
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6376|uk

SEREVENT wrote:

Whiplash wrote:

Meh, not really a big deal. Would have sucked if the plane's hydraulics failed or landing gear.
According to youtube, planes can land even when landing gears fail. It don't look pretty, and the return flight will probably be delayed a little, but looked pretty safe from the video....

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I would still shit my pants if I was on the plane though

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JemqDzMbzrM, but won't embed to save keep post resonably smalll......
jord
+2,382|6702|The North, beyond the wall.

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

Stimey wrote:

Lol, I would have been terrified. At least you got down safely
I hear its safer flying in a plane than driving in a car.
statistically, but since more people drive than fly daily then there's bound to be more accidents in a car
Exactly, by number, way more people die in car crashes then plane crashes, but way few people fly daily then drive cars. Statistically, your chances of dyeing in a plane crash is about the same as your chance of dyeing in a car. (Source is the book Freakanomics)
Yeah but if a plane crashes your fucked.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6785

flaps arent really necessary for landing.  they just make it easier and more comfortable
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6313|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

usmarine wrote:

flaps arent really necessary for landing.  they just make it easier and more comfortable
that's what i said
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6785

cowami wrote:

usmarine wrote:

that's what i said
i didnt read the thread.  i am eating
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas

SEREVENT wrote:

Whiplash wrote:

Probably just land in a grassy patch/field. My dad was a pilot for a long time, he told me how when an engine fails in the movie and they crash land, that it's all BS. The plane just can't accelerate, you just emergency land in a grassy field.... not spiral down towards your death. I'm sure the pilots here could explain in more detail, but seriously even if your engines fail, you're not gonna die.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6418|The Gem Saloon

usmarine wrote:

i am eating
https://blogs.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/beer.jpg
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6785

MadKatter wrote:

SEREVENT wrote:

Whiplash wrote:

Probably just land in a grassy patch/field. My dad was a pilot for a long time, he told me how when an engine fails in the movie and they crash land, that it's all BS. The plane just can't accelerate, you just emergency land in a grassy field.... not spiral down towards your death. I'm sure the pilots here could explain in more detail, but seriously even if your engines fail, you're not gonna die.
i would never land in a field with no gear......no way sir.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6313|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

MadKatter wrote:

SEREVENT wrote:

Whiplash wrote:

most planes are designed so they can glide without power over a distance

i think i remember watching something on national geographic about an airliner in canada gliding to a landing after both engines failed
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6741|Riva, MD
I thought this said airplane fap failure at first.
Benzin
+576|6022
at least your pilot didn't do a snap barrel-roll like on a flight I had from Vienna to Frankfurt ... FNG ...
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas

usmarine wrote:

And your alternatives... are?
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6354|teh alien spaceshit

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

jump with a parachute
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6589|Area 51

CapnNismo wrote:

at least your pilot didn't do a snap barrel-roll like on a flight I had from Vienna to Frankfurt ... FNG ...
Wut?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6785

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

a runway.....
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas

usmarine wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

a runway.....
Assuming there's one around? You'd rather land on the asphalt than a grassy patch near the runway?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6348|New Haven, CT
Its nice to know what your surface is. You don't have that luxury with a grassy field.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6367|tropical regions of london

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

a runway.....
Assuming there's one around? You'd rather land on the asphalt than a grassy patch near the runway?
because that matters when youre talking about thousands of pounds of steal and gravity?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6545|Austin, Texas

God Save the Queen wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

usmarine wrote:

a runway.....
because that matters when youre talking about thousands of pounds of steal and gravity?
Ground isn't nearly as strong and will "give" to the plane coming down on it. Asphalt won't. "giving" increases the time of impact, and subsequently reduces the amount of force applied to the plane. Physics.

But, I'm not a pilot.

Edit: Jump out of the second story onto a mattress. Then, strip off the top layer (fabric, cotton, no springs) of the mattess, and lay it onto the ground. Then jump. Which do you think will hurt more?

Last edited by MadKatter (2008-08-04 16:58:50)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard