xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How about if I come over and spray a rainbow on your forehead?
Ok...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@ATG:

What gives you (or anyone) the right to determine what is or isn't art?

So, it isn't on a canvas? so fucking what?
So, it's on someone else's property. So fucking what?
I quite agree.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If it's 'art', then fine.

If it's not, then you can fuck off.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6714|67.222.138.85

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@ATG:

So, it's on someone else's property. So fucking what?
I quite agree.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If it's 'art', then fine.

If it's not, then you can fuck off.
I say it's art. Do it unnamednewbie.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6536|Global Command

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@ATG:

Come back in 10 or twenty years when you have earned something you own and say that with a straight face.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6557|CH/BR - in UK

xBlackPantherx wrote:

konfusion wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Are you fucking joking me?! What state are you from? Seriously. America was fucking BORN from a melting pot of hundreds of languages and countries. So shut the fuck up saying that not speaking english is unamerican. America IS a melting pot and SURVIVES off of immigrants to take the shitty jobs people already here don't wanna take because people don't want to get off their fat white "AMERICAN" ass to do it yet they bitch about those the very few immigrants coming in illegally to, guess what, take those same fucking jobs you don't want.
While I agree that the US consists of many different cultures, not being able to speak English should, imo, be considered un-American.
That's one thing that pissed me off a bit about Obama: Him saying "You should not worry whether hispanics learn English, because they already have, and will continue to do so. You should worry about your kids learning Spanish."
Unless Spanish is made an official language of the USA, I disagree with that. And even if it is, I still disagree with that. Switzerland has German, French and Italian... oh, and our roman language. We don't feel obliged to speak the language (but we do feel obliged to try to speak the local area's language)

-kon
I just don't get why you view it as unamerican if the fucking school systems teach you it starting from a relatively young age. We are the only major country that isn't multilingual. Throughout Europe, for example, 5 languages by highschool age may be very standard. I have a friend who moved from turkey and he spoke 4 languages fluently going into highschool. No one viewed him as 'un-turkish' because he spoke a different language and no one viewed him as 'un-american' either. We should not frown upon people who can't speak your language just because you don't like it and you can't order your cheeseburger from McDonalds without mayo, with mustard, armerican instead of cheddar and hold the pickles.
I speak 5 languages, and I don't look down upon people who speak more or less languages than I - but still, I demand that people are able to speak English. I don't mind people being able to speak other languages, but English is a big language. Especially in the USA.
It's the same way I expect French-Swiss to try to speak German, as they learn it at school, the same way we learn French. And these are official languages.
I expect tourists who come here to speak either German, French, Italian or English - and tourists who go to England to speak English. You know... standards!

-kon
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

ATG wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@ATG:

Come back in 10 or twenty years when you have earned something you own and say that with a straight face.
I own plenty and did earn the money to buy those thing.

Granted, I don't own the place where I live, but if I did, I would be happy for someone to brighten it up with some art.

The point is, you may not see art in graffiti, but your opinion doesn't matter.

Imo, art is art if it is desired by someone other than the artist, even that's only one other person.

Like that thread not so long ago, about Jackson Pollock splatter paintings, numerous people posted saying it wasn't art, but the fact that they sell for millions on the art market shows that it is.

Likewise, many say Banksy is not an artist. But his art sells. Therefore it is art.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

konfusion wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

konfusion wrote:

While I agree that the US consists of many different cultures, not being able to speak English should, imo, be considered un-American.
That's one thing that pissed me off a bit about Obama: Him saying "You should not worry whether hispanics learn English, because they already have, and will continue to do so. You should worry about your kids learning Spanish."
Unless Spanish is made an official language of the USA, I disagree with that. And even if it is, I still disagree with that. Switzerland has German, French and Italian... oh, and our roman language. We don't feel obliged to speak the language (but we do feel obliged to try to speak the local area's language)

-kon
I just don't get why you view it as unamerican if the fucking school systems teach you it starting from a relatively young age. We are the only major country that isn't multilingual. Throughout Europe, for example, 5 languages by highschool age may be very standard. I have a friend who moved from turkey and he spoke 4 languages fluently going into highschool. No one viewed him as 'un-turkish' because he spoke a different language and no one viewed him as 'un-american' either. We should not frown upon people who can't speak your language just because you don't like it and you can't order your cheeseburger from McDonalds without mayo, with mustard, armerican instead of cheddar and hold the pickles.
I speak 5 languages, and I don't look down upon people who speak more or less languages than I - but still, I demand that people are able to speak English. I don't mind people being able to speak other languages, but English is a big language. Especially in the USA.
It's the same way I expect French-Swiss to try to speak German, as they learn it at school, the same way we learn French. And these are official languages.
I expect tourists who come here to speak either German, French, Italian or English - and tourists who go to England to speak English. You know... standards!

-kon
You're mixing up your stories now. Standards and banishing someone for being un-american or un-nationalist because of the language they speak are two very different things. I do agree that they should learn to speak English they they don't already but I do not agree that they are un-patriotic especially seeing as they are willing to take jobs you don't want to.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6412|North Carolina

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@ATG:

I own plenty and did earn the money to buy those thing.

Granted, I don't own the place where I live, but if I did, I would be happy for someone to brighten it up with some art.

The point is, you may not see art in graffiti, but your opinion doesn't matter.

Imo, art is art if it is desired by someone other than the artist, even that's only one other person.

Like that thread not so long ago, about Jackson Pollock splatter paintings, numerous people posted saying it wasn't art, but the fact that they sell for millions on the art market shows that it is.

Likewise, many say Banksy is not an artist. But his art sells. Therefore it is art.
I like Banksy, but he's much more talented than most of the people this thread is talking about.

Think of it like this: in a legal sense, vandalism is only interpreted as art by the mercy of the owner of said property.  If someone spraypainted my car, it better look fucking awesome, or I'll press charges.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6787|Great Brown North
this whole thread amuses me. and i agree, taggers should be beaten with large sticks. the difference between taggers and graffiti artists is huge.

painting some else's property without their permission is rude, stupid, and illegal.

after looking on that banksy persons site i found something to show what i mean
on the left, bullshit.

on the right, something i honestly wouldn't mind having on the side of my building.

https://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/images/landscapes/bronx_bowpeep.jpg

Last edited by krazed (2008-08-02 21:53:15)

ATG
Banned

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bullshit.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

ATG wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bullshit.
Not bullshit, I really don't own the place where I live - I rent.

(and I really would be happy to have someone graf my house, even if I did own it)

I don't view the world in the same way as most other people.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
NO ATG, I AM NOT A CHILD.

My date of birth was 01/07/1973. I am 35.

Making comments like "you're a child" via karma, instead of posting a reasoned response, is childish.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

NO ATG, I AM NOT A CHILD.

My date of birth was 01/07/1973. I am 35.

Making comments like "you're a child" via karma, instead of posting a reasoned response, is childish.
Such as, "1 hour, 7 minutes ago      Taggers should be shot on site      You are a child---ATG" ?

I would actually like to know your age and where you're from exactly. Just to see where your coming from.

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2008-08-03 00:47:03)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6768

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

bollocks.  sheer bollocks.  now i truly know that you are full of crap.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bullshit.
Not bullshit, I really don't own the place where I live - I rent.

(and I really would be happy to have someone graf my house, even if I did own it)

I don't view the world in the same way as most other people.
Bring your landlord on and let's hear what he'd have to say about that.

As to krazed's image, the shepherdess is pretty cool. I'd let that stand, but erase the other scribbling.

If people want to be serious about painting on walls, they should do so with the permission of the property owner.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6557|CH/BR - in UK

My brother spray painted our garage - but he had permission. It's the main attraction for people who are over at our house
But yeah - permission kthxby

-kon
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6666|BC, Canada

krazed wrote:

this whole thread amuses me. and i agree, taggers should be beaten with large sticks. the difference between taggers and graffiti artists is huge.

painting some else's property without their permission is rude, stupid, and illegal.

after looking on that banksy persons site i found something to show what i mean
on the left, bullshit.

on the right, something i honestly wouldn't mind having on the side of my building.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/images … owpeep.jpg
Agreed, I used to do a bit of graff when I was younger, always in appropriatte places, like the skate park I had spend hundreds of hours working to get for my home town. I saw alot of good graff, and bad when I lived in Halifax. There was one spot, an old lot, that the art school kids would redo every year, some really good stuff there. Also a guy that would create a unique stencel for each tag and then write a story to go with it, It was kind of cool wandering around and randomly getting a little bit of art with a story here and there.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6557|CH/BR - in UK

xBlackPantherx wrote:

You're mixing up your stories now. Standards and banishing someone for being un-american or un-nationalist because of the language they speak are two very different things. I do agree that they should learn to speak English they they don't already but I do not agree that they are un-patriotic especially seeing as they are willing to take jobs you don't want to.
Well then, that's what I was saying from the beginning. Would have helped if you had read my posts
My point from the beginning was that you should know English, regardless - doesn't have to be really good English, just understandable. It's just a standard you come to expect. I'd say it's unpatriotic not to know English

-kon
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

konfusion wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Well then, that's what I was saying from the beginning. Would have helped if you had read my posts
My point from the beginning was that you should know English, regardless - doesn't have to be really good English, just understandable. It's just a standard you come to expect. I'd say it's unpatriotic not to know English

-kon
Fair enough
ATG
Banned
So, today I flew into Erie, PA.
It's a declining industrial town with ghettos and projects.

I saw one tag after driving around town for an hour, and I was told it is new.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6350|California

ATG wrote:

It's a declining industrial town with ghettos and projects.

I saw one tag after driving around town for an hour, and I was told it is new.
Huh?
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6350|tropical regions of london

ATG wrote:

stay there
ATG
Banned

God Save the Queen wrote:

ATG wrote:

stay there
They have internets here too tard.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6350|tropical regions of london

ATG wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

ATG wrote:

stay there
They have internets here too tard.
the fact that I have to share a state with you makes me sick. 

hope the plane doesnt crash.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6562
Just don't shoot Banksy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard