Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6738|United States
(Not to be confused with ADD, which I think can be a problem.)

ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, is utterly, and totally, bullshit.  It is nothing more than an excuse for bad behavior.

To simply clarify:
ADD is when you have difficulty concentrating or staying focused.
ADHD is when you have difficulty concentrating or staying focused, and you're hyperactive, which also affects attention.

But my definitions:
ADD is when you have difficulty concentrating or staying focused.
ADHD is when you have difficulty concentrating or staying focused, and you get an excuse to act like a fucking retard.

Yes, it is possible to have difficulty concentrating, and I believe that Attention Deficit Disorder can be a problem.  But once you put the "Hyperactivity" in there, you've got a new, bullshit, overly diagnosed phrase.

I have had many friends who were, well, "normal."  But then they were "diagnosed" with, (or given by the doctor, if you please), "ADHD".  They were never the same afterwords.  They started acting totally different, acting ways they have never acted before.  They were more jittery, seemed more energetic, talked faster, did stupider things, and they were just off the wall.

I was "diagnosed" with "ADHD".  The doctor said, "We're going to put you on (this), (this), and (this) medication."  I felt like saying, fuck you pal, take your "ADHD" and shove it.  I declined those medications because I know for a fact I don't have "ADHD."

Kids "get" "ADHD" when they are told they have it.  If you say nothing, they stay the same.

I feel one of the worst things you can do as a parent is tell your kids that they have "ADHD".  Because once you do, they get an excuse to misbehave.

"Sorry I just (action), I have ADHD!"

You are not born with, or develop, "ADHD."  You are given the title of having it.

And to those of you who are thinking, "What does he know, he doesn't know what it's like to have ADHD, he's not the way I am."
You do not have "ADHD."  You might have ADD, but the doctor threw in another word just to make the list of medications he can prescribe you even longer.  And of course, as an added bonus, you get to say, "Sorry, but I have ADHD," like it's an award.

There is no such thing as ADHD.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

You're just now figuring this out?

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6840|Reykjavík, Iceland.
No, it's real, I speak from first hand experience, I have ADHD myself.

Those out of control kids come from a combination of ADHD + bad parenting. My parents were always very strict with me, therefore I am highly disciplined and can control myself.

I was incredibly hyperactive as a child, I am told, before I was diagnosed, my parents were always having problems controlling me, then, at the age of 9 or something, I was diagnosed with ADHD, got prescription medication and while I was on my medication I was much more calm, quite normal.

Seriously, if I forget to take my medication I have problems sitting still, focusing and yada yada. And I'm 100% positive it's not just a placebo effect.

And I fucking hated being treated any special for it when I was younger, like taking exams in a special room away from the rest of class (goes for ADD kids too), I deal with it myself.
topal63
. . .
+533|6715
Most numb-in-the-head dimwits don't realize the brain is governed by chemicals. To say ADHD isn't real - is akin to saying chemicals in your brain don't exist, O' how utterly moronic. The fact is it is more likely, that given enough time, science will invent a true: happy pill. Or other pills for other chemical imbalances or even a social-enhancer pill, one that deters criminal intent so effectively - only those who can't afford these pills will be: unhappy criminals.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-28 14:25:43)

Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6249|England
I hate to say this but it is real, I agree with you in a way it is over diagnosed by GP's who can't be arsed & are over stretched, just because of your your experience please don't label everyone else the same as you. There can be a whole raft of reasons why they have hyperactivity in with their ADD it can be something as simple as diet based or can be as complex as a minor brain injury at a very early age. But as i said earlier it is over diagnosed by doctors.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5930|United States
ADHD may be real, but ADD is total bs...i mean everyone has ADD if you think about it.  Some people just use it to gain an unfair advantage over others in school by getting extra time etc.
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6738|United States

topal63 wrote:

Most numb-in-the-head dimwits don't realize the brain is governed by chemicals. To say ADHD isn't real - is akin to saying chemicals in your brain don't exist, O' how utterly moronic. The fact is it is more likely, that given enough time, science will invent a true: happy pill. Or other pills for other chemical imbalances or even a social-enhancer pill, one that deters criminal intent so effectively - only those who can't afford these pills will be: unhappy criminals.
Name me the chemical that makes misbehavior acceptable.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

pierro wrote:

I think the problem many people have with recognizing something like ADHD as a disorder is that it puts behaving yourself (if you have ADHD) on the same level as walking (if you have no legs) and throws personal responsibility out the window.
It's more like walking with a wooden legg (yarr!), you CAN pretty much perform like normal if you are arsed to do it.
The#1Spot
+105|6537|byah

Bert10099 wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Name me the chemical that makes misbehavior acceptable.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Sydney wrote:

Same here...  or rather, I had it.  Now that I'm older, my symptoms are much more subtle, and I'm really not hyperactive at all now since I had a pretty high dosage of ritalin for years.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

Turquoise wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Same here...  or rather, I had it.  Now that I'm older, my symptoms are much more subtle, and I'm really not hyperactive at all now since I had a pretty high dosage of ritalin for years.
Well, my symptons are indeed much more subtle now that I'm older (17), but I'm still rather loud and well....hyperactive when I'm not on my meds (Concerta).
i g
Banned
+876|5861|GA

and why do they give these kids adderall? that shit makes them even more fucking hyper; it's basically giving them meth
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6759

i wish that shit was around when i was in school.  would have had less detention and more popsicles.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

i g wrote:

and why do they give these kids adderall? that shit makes them even more fucking hyper; it's basically giving them meth
Actually no, for some reason stimulating chemicals have relaxing effects on people with ADHD.

If I were to take Amphetamine, I would probably just fall asleep, since amphetamine shares the same active compound as methylphenidate, which is what my doctor prescribed me for my ADHD.

usmarine wrote:

i wish that shit was around when i was in school.  would have had less detention and more popsicles.
Trust me, any kid with ADHD who wants any sort of special treatment is a complete and utter tool, I just want to blend in and get treated equal with others.

Last edited by Sydney (2008-07-28 16:21:02)

i g
Banned
+876|5861|GA

Sydney wrote:

i g wrote:

Actually no, for some reason stimulating chemicals have relaxing effects on people with ADHD.

If I were to take Amphetamine, I would probably just fall asleep, since amphetamine shares the same active compound as methylphenidate, which is what my doctor prescribed me for my ADHD.

usmarine wrote:

Trust me, any kid with ADHD who wants any sort of special treatment is a complete and utter tool, I just want to blend in and get treated equal with others.
https://www.talktofrank.com/uploadedImages/Drugs/LARGE%20PHOTOS_CHRYSTAL%20METHS.jpg

do it plz
liquix
+51|6451|Peoples Republic of Portland
ADD is a perfectly normal thing which generally results in minimal negative effects on education. ADHD however generally results in prescription drugs, behavior problems, and learning problems in school.

Many people in my industry are ADD, very few are ADHD, as most of those people have since failed in the realm of academia.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

I hate the fact that Doctor's over prescribe ADHD drugs, when it's simply just a case of bad parenting.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
liquix
+51|6451|Peoples Republic of Portland
I would agree that Western doctors over prescribe. Unfortunately that is an education issue, which I doubt will change
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL
ADHD is very real, however, it is very overdiagnosed, which has led many to discredit the disease and those who suffer from it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Dilbert_X's totally made up statistics for the day.

For every child with real ADHD:

There is one with inadequate parents who don't know basic parenthood.

There is one with idle parents who can't be bothered due to their terribly busy lives.

There is one with parents who relish being able to tell other parents MY son has ADHD, not a low IQ and poor concentration.

There is one who is just a bit more of a ratbag than average, so gets loaded up with drugs.

There is one who gets loaded up with drugs so the Doctor can make his quota and get a free weekend in Hawaii.

Some loony old bat out hiking tried to tell me her dog had ADHD. Looked like an average scraggy old Labrador to me.
When I was a kid one teacher thought I had ADHD. I didn't, I was just bored rigid drawing pictures of trees with crayons. If you'd broken out the power tools maybe I wouldn't have wound you up Mrs Clutterbuck, but sorry anyway. Shame it took a 6 year old to tell you with ink stamps you have to put the letters in backwards, they're mirrored for a reason.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-07-29 02:51:08)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard