Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm willing to bet that not a single fucking soul on this forum has fully read either the Bible, Torah or Q'uran and yet we're all fucking theologians on the evidence of our posts. This is nonsense. How people can make 'expert' comments on three documents that contradict themselves every ten paragraphs I'll never know.
As lowing has proved most people read the 'expert's' opinions that suit their own argument and block out the rest.

I myself am no expert on any of them but I've read enough of them all to know they're equally full of shit and equally liable to mistranslation over the years.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I thought you knew the Qu'ran quite well lowing, you have argued with me on numerous occasions that you know exactly what the Qu'ran teaches.
No, I have argued with you as to what I have read about the Koran and what it says. I left the research to those that actually read the thing and wrote articles and papers on the topic. Not ot mention the actions of those that have used the Koran to justify their actions against us...Sue me.
And yet when counter arguments by other respected scholars are offered back to you you simply negate them and claim that you know what the truth is.

And don't try and use the actions of extremists as a means of interpreting the Qu'ran. For God's sake you've used the argument yourself in this thread that 'Christian' extremists don't actually represent the Christian faith, why have another rule for Islam.
I simply have an opinion Braddock, I base it on what I see, read and hear. I do not negate anything scholars have to say, the fact just as many of them think Islam is a fucked up religion as well.

I do not have a separate rule, by following Christ you are following a message of peace love and tolerance, by following Muhammad you are following a message of intolerance and death or convertion to your enemies. If you do not follow Christ, and kill, you are not following his message, if you do not follow Muhammad, and love infidels you are not following his message. My beliefs are quite consistant.

I
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm willing to bet that not a single fucking soul on this forum has fully read either the Bible, Torah or Q'uran and yet we're all fucking theologians on the evidence of our posts. This is nonsense. How people can make 'expert' comments on three documents that contradict themselves every ten paragraphs I'll never know.
I reckon you're very, very wrong.

Loads of people will have read the Bible.

I've read the Bible. It's an interesting read. Only religious text I've ever read properly though, but I've done a heck of a lot of reading on religious history, because I find it fascinating.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

usmarine wrote:

why is this such a stretch?  you think 50 years ago people in the US thought mexicans would come close to outnumbering them?
The EU never said 'give us your huddled masses'. It is not as easy for illegals to find gainful employment over here as it is in the US - we fine/jail those caught doing it, ye know.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

why is this such a stretch?  you think 50 years ago people in the US thought mexicans would come close to outnumbering them?
The EU never said 'give us your huddled masses'. It is not as easy for illegals to find gainful employment over here as it is in the US - we fine/jail those caught doing it, ye know.
understood.  but these would be legal.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6744|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

lowing wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

No braddock, what I am doing is telling you Christians do not follow the Old Testament...
HAHAHA good luck telling that to all the fundamental Christian brethren that I share my homeland with lol.. you're great entertainment Lowing they preach from little else... Leviticus this... Leviticus that..
I see so you are a follower of Christ's message tha twas written 2000 years before Christ was born huh?

I said in its full context, that Christians adhere to the word and teachings of Christ ( the NEW Covenant) for their guidance, and basically acknowledge the old testament as what the word of God was before. Christianity could stand alone with the New Covenant if the old testament never exisited.
Ha-ha dear God no I am not a fundamental Christian Protestant, Lowing though my brethren are and would very much consider themselves Christian and would very much follow the old testament.  Now this is all really pointless, there is no point debating with you Lowing, you're  hermetically sealed in a paradigm of ignorance, it's an impregnable fortress!! and I give up because it's pointless..  i'll just snigger form the sidelines I think..

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2008-07-31 16:32:20)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

usmarine wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

usmarine wrote:

understood.  but these would be legal.
Well that's why the scenario is ridiculous.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, I have argued with you as to what I have read about the Koran and what it says. I left the research to those that actually read the thing and wrote articles and papers on the topic. Not ot mention the actions of those that have used the Koran to justify their actions against us...Sue me.
And yet when counter arguments by other respected scholars are offered back to you you simply negate them and claim that you know what the truth is.

And don't try and use the actions of extremists as a means of interpreting the Qu'ran. For God's sake you've used the argument yourself in this thread that 'Christian' extremists don't actually represent the Christian faith, why have another rule for Islam.
I simply have an opinion Braddock, I base it on what I see, read and hear. I do not negate anything scholars have to say, the fact just as many of them think Islam is a fucked up religion as well.

I do not have a separate rule, by following Christ you are following a message of peace love and tolerance, by following Muhammad you are following a message of intolerance and death or convertion to your enemies. If you do not follow Christ, and kill, you are not following his message, if you do not follow Muhammad, and love infidels you are not following his message. My beliefs are quite consistant.

I
And why are you so worried about people not following these religions to the letter when such a thing is often positive for society?

You really believe in the idea of being a sheep when it comes to religion. That's the main reason I don't like organised religion of any kind.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

I am not a nexpert on anything, I simply know enough as to what is really happening when we want to "interpret" shit. It is not to seek truth, it is to bend and or justify the word to satisfy our own agendas. There is only one word of Jesus, or Muhammad. Follow it or do not follow it. You need not be an expert to understand that. Even theologians will "interpret" to satisfy their own agendas. So are they any more crediable than anyone else?

Who on this planet is REALLY qualified to say what the truth really is about life after death?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

IG-Calibre wrote:

lowing wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

HAHAHA good luck telling that to all the fundamental Christian brethren that I share my homeland with lol.. you're great entertainment Lowing they preach from little else... Leviticus this... Leviticus that..
I see so you are a follower of Christ's message tha twas written 2000 years before Christ was born huh?

I said in its full context, that Christians adhere to the word and teachings of Christ ( the NEW Covenant) for their guidance, and basically acknowledge the old testament as what the word of God was before. Christianity could stand alone with the New Covenant if the old testament never exisited.
Ha-ha dear God no I am not a fundamental Christian Protestant, Lowing though my brethren are and would very much consider themselves Christian and would very much follow the old testament.  Now this is all really pointless, there is no point debating with you Lowing, you're  hermetically sealed in a paradigm of ignorance, it's an impregnable fortress!! and I give up because it's pointless..  i'll just snigger form the sidelines I think..
very well, jump in whenever you feel the need to do so.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

lowing wrote:

There is only one word of Jesus.
That's not true. Ever heard of the Gnostic and Coptic gospels? The 'words of Jesus' were largely decided at the Council of Nicaea convened by Roman Emperor Constantine - who edited everything as he saw fit. The whole 'the Jews killed Jesus, not the Romans' was pretty much his brainchild, for obvious reasons. Oh and this little meeting took place in 325 AD - nearly 300 years after Jesus died.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

lowing wrote:

Who on this planet is REALLY qualified to say what the truth really is about life after death?
Dead people.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I am not a nexpert on anything, I simply know enough as to what is really happening when we want to "interpret" shit. It is not to seek truth, it is to bend and or justify the word to satisfy our own agendas. There is only one word of Jesus, or Muhammad. Follow it or do not follow it. You need not be an expert to understand that. Even theologians will "interpret" to satisfy their own agendas. So are they any more crediable than anyone else?

Okay lowing take theologians out of the equation...you are still left with wiggle room when it comes to interpreting ancient texts. The minute you look outside the text and get help from external references (for example trying to infer meaning from cultural factors) you are forming an interpretation and hence there is no such thing as a pure form of any ancient religion. I mean for fuck's sake neither the new testament nor the Qu'ran were even written by the prophets themselves...religion is ALL about interpretation.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-07-31 16:41:58)

God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6345|tropical regions of london
jesus
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

God Save the Queen wrote:

jesus
hi
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Okay lowing take theologians out of the equation...you are still left with wiggle room when it comes to interpreting ancient texts. The minute you look outside the text and get help from external references (for example trying to infer meaning from cultural factors) you are forming an interpretation and hence there is no such thing as a pure form of any ancient religion. I mean for fuck's sake neither the new testament nor the Qu'ran were written by the prophets themselves...religion is ALL about interpretation.
The Koran was dictated by the angel Gabriel wasn't it?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

That's not true. Ever heard of the Gnostic and Coptic gospels? The 'words of Jesus' were largely decided at the Council of Nicaea convened by Roman Emperor Constantine - who edited everything as he saw fit. The whole 'the Jews killed Jesus, not the Romans' was pretty much his brainchild, for obvious reasons. Oh and this little meeting took place in 325 AD - nearly 300 years after Jesus died.
I think Mary Magdalene had a gospel as well which was edited out of the bible.

I pretty much was referring to the New Testament as it is read today for today's Christians, Cam. What is follwed in a Christian Church today.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Okay lowing take theologians out of the equation...you are still left with wiggle room when it comes to interpreting ancient texts. The minute you look outside the text and get help from external references (for example trying to infer meaning from cultural factors) you are forming an interpretation and hence there is no such thing as a pure form of any ancient religion. I mean for fuck's sake neither the new testament nor the Qu'ran were written by the prophets themselves...religion is ALL about interpretation.
Mohamed had visions in which old Gabriel channeled through him, other people supposedly documented what came out of Mohamed's mouth. Old Mo himself couldn't read or write if I'm not mistaken*.

*I may be mistaken!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

I think Mary Magdalene had a gospel as well which was edited out of the bible.

I pretty much was referring to the New Testament as it is read today for today's Christians, Cam. What is follwed in a Christian Church today.
Which is an interpretation of the original intent. In fact it's an interpretation of another interpretation of an interpretation.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Okay lowing take theologians out of the equation...you are still left with wiggle room when it comes to interpreting ancient texts. The minute you look outside the text and get help from external references (for example trying to infer meaning from cultural factors) you are forming an interpretation and hence there is no such thing as a pure form of any ancient religion. I mean for fuck's sake neither the new testament nor the Qu'ran were even written by the prophets themselves...religion is ALL about interpretation.
Ok so now what, we are gunna agrre that no one is following anything, therefore everyone is fulla shit? So be it, I can live with that. then Islam, for the lack of a better term, is 180 degrees out from where western society is trying to go. Christianity, or whatever you wanna call it, seems to follow a path of tolerance which is in the same direction western society wants to go.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Braddock wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Mohamed had visions in which old Gabriel channeled through him, other people supposedly documented what came out of Mohamed's mouth. Old Mo himself couldn't read or write if I'm not mistaken*.

*I may be mistaken!
You're probably right.

I'd say that's a fairly pure form then, even if not explicitly written by Mohammed.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ok so now what, we are gunna agrre that no one is following anything, therefore everyone is fulla shit? So be it, I can live with that. then Islam, for the lack of a better term, is 180 degrees out from where western society is trying to go. Christianity, or whatever you wanna call it, seems to follow a path of tolerance which is in the same direction western society wants to go.
That's fairly close to my opinion on the matter. Christianity has undergone more evolution, due to the more modern nature of the centres of Christianity. Islam still has a good way to go, but is progressing.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6292|Éire

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

*I may be mistaken!
You're probably right.

I'd say that's a fairly pure form then, even if not explicitly written by Mohammed.
You've still got the ancient text factor. It's never straightforward interpreting an ancient piece of text.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647

usmarine wrote:

can we get back on topic?
hahaha I know thats what I was thinking
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6450

Bertster7 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

*I may be mistaken!
You're probably right.

Yea, you're right. He went to his wife Khadijah to help him out or something.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard