Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717
what a sad state of affairs... they decided not to wear green because it might be offensive... Political correctness ftl...
most muslims that heard about it were confused...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200807 … co/11935_4

"AMMAN, Jordan—An Obama campaign ban on green clothing during the candidate’s visits to Israel and Jordan has created wide puzzlement among observers of the Middle East.

In a memo to reporters, described as “a few guidelines we sent staff before departure to the Middle East,” Obama advance staffer Peter Newell laid out rules on attire for Jordan and Israel.

First among them: “Do not wear green.”

An Obama aide explained to reporters that green is the color associated with the militant Palestinian group Hamas. But while the color does appear on Hamas banners, there is no particular symbolism to wearing green clothes, experts said.

Moreover, green is more generally seen as a symbol of Islam.

“A ban on wearing green seems bizarre,” said Richard Bulliet, a professor of Middle Eastern history at Columbia University, who said the color is associated with the family of the Prophet Mohammed.

“I would hazard the guess that the campaign's concern is more with distorted—and religiously inaccurate—reporting by Obama's detractors than with any actual signal that might be conveyed,” he said, referring to false rumors that Obama is a Muslim. “You don’t want to have some blogger come along and say ‘Obama is showing his true color.’”

“I think they’re just being overcautious to a ridiculous degree,” Bulliet said.

Mohamad Bazzi, a professor of journalism at New York University and former Middle East bureau chief for Newsday, called the instruction “very strange.”

“I guess green is the ‘Hamas color’ — but it's also the color of Islam!” Bazzi said in an email from Beirut. “That's one way for the Obama campaign to alienate 1.4 billion Muslims worldwide.”  "

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-07-21 19:59:03)

Love is the answer
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5792|Dublin, Ohio
good lord.  and you people wonder why I dont vote.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5828
What's the issue?  Obama has repeatedly had the tiniest of actions turned against him to show that he's some sort of Islamofascist Communazi, he's just making sure they can't do it this time.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Agreed Zombie.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
You must admit though, I'm sure there were more important things on the agenda then what colour to wear.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Spark wrote:

You must admit though, I'm sure there were more important things on the agenda then what colour to wear.
Smuggling RPG's to Palestinians.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6717

ZombieVampire! wrote:

What's the issue?  Obama has repeatedly had the tiniest of actions turned against him to show that he's some sort of Islamofascist Communazi, he's just making sure they can't do it this time.
the issue is....that there is no issue.... even Muslims don't understand why he did it... same thing with him removing muslim looking people from behind him in the campaign speech...  Obama is in way over his head... He says that we are losing in Iraq... I guess he doesn't read any newspapers or internet news sources... I'm not a huge fan of either candidate... but i do know that i prefer less taxes and someone who will keep us safe...

edit:spel

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2008-07-22 07:30:58)

Love is the answer
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
fuck obama the cunt.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
better dead than red green
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6663|USA
If they stated nothing and just didn't where green, all of you would have never known.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Obama will just be criticized no matter what he does. He needs to accept the fact that he's an easy target for the press and the internet, and then just forget about it and do the real deal. Imo.

The people who believe the ramblings of Fox News presenters/Internet bloggers who pick up on all the small details, are the same people who will never vote for Obama in the first place. Remember the Dumbfuckistan map lol, it doesn't really change much

Unlike here I think American politics is very set in in terms of who's going to vote what.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-07-22 07:47:37)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire
Pretty fucking stupid but I'm sure FOX and the usual suspects would have been the first to raise the issue if he had been caught wearing "the colours of Hamas" while on a Middle Eastern tour. This is just more typical stupid American politics/media bullshit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard