Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida
I have it.

Description:
Depersonalization (or depersonalisation) is an 'alteration' in the perception or experience of the self so that one feels 'detached' from, and as if one is an 'outside' observer of, one's mental processes or body. A feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation.[1] It can be considered desirable, such as in the use of recreational drugs, but it usually refers to the severe form found in anxiety and, in the most intense case, panic attacks. A sufferer feels that he or she has changed and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can sometimes be a rather disturbing experience, since many feel that indeed, they are living in a "dream."
More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

More specifically, i believe i have Depersonalization Disorder, which specific info can be found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization_disorder

Basic difference is the disorder is when DP happens often.

For months i've tried to figure out what it is thats happening to me, and im glad i finally ran into an article describing it exactly!

So does anyone else maybe have this disorder, and maybe you didn't know it was a real disorder, or maybe you didn't know other people had the same thing happen to them?
15 more years! 15 more years!
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)
Dude, I'm not saying don't have DP, but...

It's not a good idea to t self-diagnose mental conditions on the internet - you'll find that you appear to have a good many different conditions - this is because we all experience the symptoms of many mental illnesses from time to time - all perfectly normally.

If you are still concerned, seek advice from a professional psychiatrist or psychologist.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6136|North Tonawanda, NY
I take it this is a self 'diagnosis'?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Dude, I'm not saying don't have DP, but...

It's not a good idea to t self-diagnose mental conditions on the Internet - you'll find that you appear to have a good many different conditions - this is because we all experience the symptoms of many mental illnesses from time to time - all perfectly normally.

If you are still concerned, seek advice from a professional psychiatrist or psychologist.
Oh i will. I'm heading that way, Ha. Now that i know it's a real thing.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

we all experience the symptoms of many mental illnesses from time to time - all perfectly normally.
For clarification, i experience most of the symptoms listed multiple times a day.

Also, I've never taken drugs.

Last edited by Mitch (2008-07-14 22:17:39)

Wreckognize
+294|6491
Straight from my Abnormal Psychology textbook:

Depersonalization Disorder

Diagnostic Features
- This diagnosis is given to people with persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from their mental processes or body, as if in a dream or as if they were external observers
- During the depersonalization experience, they are in touch with reality
- The symptoms cause significant distress or impairment
- The disturbances does not occur as a result of another mental disorder, the use of substances, or a medical or neurological condition
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6111|eXtreme to the maX
You're just spending too much time on the net.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6296|Éire
Never self diagnose. The internet is a handy way of coming across information but always verify it with an expert.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6763|Argentina
Why don't you ask a doctor before making assumptions based on an article?  If you happen to have that disorder you'll need some sort of medication I guess, so see a doctor.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6459|Ontario, Canada
Don't self diagnose dude.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6548|Texas - Bigger than France
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say you need to see a doctor to confirm.

For instance, I once though I had hepatitus.  Turned out all I needed was a vacation.  Ironically I got hepatitus on the trip. 

See how powerful the mind is?
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6349|tropical regions of london
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5833
I have depression!
God Save the Queen
Banned

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I have depression!
thanks for sharing!
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5833
I also have AIDs!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6698
Only Mitch. Lol. Chill bra.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6627|London, England
Everyone says they have everything
God Save the Queen
Banned

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I also have AIDs!
Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome

AIDS
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6677|UK

God Save the Queen wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I also have AIDs!

AIDS
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome

AIDS
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6363|CA, USA
i agree with others that you should seek a consult with a professional.  if you think you need help - go get it.  people work out to get healthier - you should take similar view of seeking help to get mental health improved also.  hope you get better and good luck man!
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

i agree with others that you should seek a consult with a professional.  if you think you need help - go get it.  people work out to get healthier - you should take similar view of seeking help to get mental health improved also.  hope you get better and good luck man!
Oh i will definetely go to a doctor now that i can describe what i have. It's not like i could in any way treat it without a doctor anyways.
BVC
+325|6701
My 2c:
- If you're drinking lots, smoking a bit of pot or taking anything else for fun, ease up for a while.  That doesn't mean stop, it just means don't do it so much.
- Make sure you're eating right (balanced diet).  Consult an online nutrition resource if you have to.
- Make sure you're getting a good nights sleep.

If you do all this for a few weeks and don't feel like you've improved, THEN see a shrink.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

Pubic wrote:

My 2c:
- If you're drinking lots, smoking a bit of pot or taking anything else for fun, ease up for a while.  That doesn't mean stop, it just means don't do it so much.
- Make sure you're eating right (balanced diet).  Consult an online nutrition resource if you have to.
- Make sure you're getting a good nights sleep.

If you do all this for a few weeks and don't feel like you've improved, THEN see a shrink.
You've got good advice. I don't drink or do drugs though. I eat right, and i sleep usually right. It's just i've had it for months now. It's nothing new. I think it was ever since i passed out... i was sick and dehydrated and i passed out and that put me under a lot of stress cause it was a terrifying situation, i didn't know what was going on with me. And im like terrified to pass out again and thats like all i think about (weird, i know). So im pretty positive that stress and the fact that i can't stop thinking about me having this is causing me to not be able to stop thinking about it.

It's so hard to not think about something.
THE_EYE
Banned
+76|5811|Amsterdam, NY

m3thod wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

I also have AIDs!

AIDS
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome

AIDS