HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5772
http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/i … dChannel=0
CANBERRA (Reuters Life!) - Tiger Woods is on course to become the first billionaire athlete with the popular U.S. golfer proving a marketing dream, according to Forbes Magazine.

Woods, who won the U.S. Open last month despite a bad knee, is on track to exceed $1 billion in career earnings by 2010 after earning $115 million in 2007, said the American magazine which publishes an annual list of the world's richest people.

Forbes in Wednesday's edition said it would take 32-year-old Woods a bit longer to actually pocket that amount as taxes and management fees eat into his prize and endorsement money.

The calculation was based on Woods' estimated earnings in the annual rich list dating back to 1996, when he turned pro, and also credited the world number one golfer with annualised investment returns of 8 percent.

"Based on those criteria, we project Tiger Woods should join our list of the world's billionaires in 2011," said the magazine. "It will be an unprecedented occurrence."

The magazine said there are plenty of billionaires who have excelled at sports, like Switzerland's richest man and champion sailor Ernesto Bertarelli, but no billionaires who have accumulated their fortune by playing sports.

Woods has been a sports marketing phenomenon.

A golf prodigy as a child, his recent U.S. Open victory was his 14th major championship and he has won 50 tournaments on the PGA Tour faster than any player.

But prize money only accounts for about a tenth of his earnings with the rest coming from lucrative endorsement deals signed by the exceptionally popular player with companies that include Nike, Buick and Gillette.

Sports drink maker Gatorade recently launched a new line of drinks called Gatorade Tiger.

The magazine said Woods would earn about $90 million in endorsement contracts this year. Over the course of his career, he has earned more than $750 million from such deals.

Woods is not playing again this season after undergoing knee surgery a few weeks ago.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6632

Black Power!

srs I'm glad. Pretty Amazing

Last edited by Gooners (2008-07-10 13:15:46)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6568|Mountains of NC

good for him ........... I guess, take what you can get

but

when I here this shit ( and it ain't just him ) it pisses me off .......... an athlete playing some game makes millions - the military personal, the police officer, the fire-fighter, the EMS don't make anything close to what some guy shooting hoops or tackling a quarterback ...... yet we're the ones that protect your life or fight to save your life or bring you back to life
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5772

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

when I here this shit ( and it ain't just him ) it pisses me off .......... an athlete playing some game makes millions - the military personal, the police officer, the fire-fighter, the EMS don't make anything close to what some guy shooting hoops or tackling a quarterback ...... yet we're the ones that protect your life or fight to save your life or bring you back to life
dont forget teachers
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5961|Washington DC

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

bread and circus, baby
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
2011, still a while yet Still, that's very impressive of him to get to that stage at his age of life for the career he is in.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6575|London

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Indeed but the point is how many teachers/doctors/firefighters/soldiers are there in the world? How hard is it to become one?

Now how many people can hit a golf ball like tiger woods can?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Agreed.

Tiger Woods is quite amazing though, although every time I decide to follow a Golf tournament, and he's in it, he's always doing "unusually bad"
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6388|New York

Aries_37 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Indeed but the point is how many teachers/doctors/firefighters/soldiers are there in the world? How hard is it to become one?

Yeah, but the point is, how useless are these athletes, really?

The value that the teachers/doctors/firefighters/soldiers provide is so incredibly more than what these fuckers in sports provide. Complete bullshit in my opinion.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

heggs wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

The value that the teachers/doctors/firefighters/soldiers provide is so incredibly more than what these fuckers in sports provide. Complete bullshit in my opinion.
If schools didn't care more about sports than education I think we'd have less of a problem.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5772

Miggle wrote:

heggs wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

If schools didn't care more about sports than education I think we'd have less of a problem.
schools don't care more about sports...
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645

Gooners wrote:

Black Power!
well he is not really black he is like really really mixed, but yeah Panther power
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6388|New York

Miggle wrote:

heggs wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

You do have a good point there. The programs that get cut first are the academic programs, not the sports programs.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6575|London

heggs wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Well tbh without garbage men and street cleaners my life would suck a lot more than if there were no firefighters. Yet firefighters earn more.

Doctors do arguably less than nurses yet they earn much more and get the thanks and respect.

You get payed according to the expertize required and difficulty of what you do. In tiger wood's case it's hitting small white balls with a stick to entertain millions.

I agree the scale is well off, but I can't say it's undeserved when I think of the chumps who get rich because their parents passed the money to them.
HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5772

heggs wrote:

Miggle wrote:

heggs wrote:

You do have a good point there. The programs that get cut first are the academic programs, not the sports programs.
examples?
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6694|The Ville
I heard he is also going to be an announcer for the tournaments so he can have a job and not be home drivin all the time. That would be a big change.

Edit: Until his injuries heal.

Last edited by Obiwan (2008-07-10 13:53:58)

aimless
+166|6125|Texas
What about Michael Shumacher?

In terms of earnings, Eurobusiness magazine estimates that Schumacher has won over a billion dollars in Formula One competition, making him the world's first athlete to win over a billion dollars.
http://www.articlemotron.com/Article/Mi … cher/30951

Last edited by aimless (2008-07-10 14:06:28)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

aimless wrote:

In terms of earnings, Eurobusiness magazine estimates that Schumacher has won over a billion dollars in Formula One competition, making him the world's first athlete to win over a billion dollars.
winning over a billion dollars does not make him a billionaire.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
HAi_gAIZ
See "i g"
+20|5772

aimless wrote:

The magazine said there are plenty of billionaires who have excelled at sports, like Switzerland's richest man and champion sailor Ernesto Bertarelli, but no billionaires who have accumulated their fortune by playing sports.
Thorax
Banned
+77|5804
From the Onion:

I Couldn't Help But Notice Your Product Hasn't Been Endorsed By Anyone Yet

My specially designed Tiger Woods TAG Heuer watch read 11:45 a.m. yesterday when I got back from the practice range. After washing up and shaving with my favorite Tiger Woods Gillette Champions razor and getting in a few rounds of EA Sports' Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, I picked up the copy of Golf Digest on my coffee table—the one with my ad for TLC Laser Eye Centers. What caught my attention, however, was an advertisement on the adjoining page for your product, Pine-Sol.

Call me crazy, but it looks like you're lacking a big-time celebrity endorser. Yes, you have that sassy fat black woman who appears in commercials and print ads, but she's hardly a celebrity. I'm talking about someone with name recognition. Maybe even someone who's won, say, 64 professional golf tournaments, 13 major championships, and has been named PGA Tour Player of the Year nine times? Your lady may be funny, but is she the most marketable athlete in the world with a supermodel wife, a new baby girl, millions in the bank, multiracial appeal, and a great goddamn smile?

No.

Even now, I just can't stop thinking about how foolish you've been for never approaching me about endorsing Pine-Sol. Is it the money that concerns you? Because let me tell you something: When you are dealing with a Tiger Woods endorsement, money should be the last thing on your mind. What you should be thinking is how, with my face on every container, we are going to move more Pine-Sol than you ever thought possible.

Look, when you get Tiger Woods, you're getting Tiger Woods—the guy who made it cool for kids to want to play golf, for Christ's sake.

Bottom line, you need me, and I'm ready to break into the domestic-products arena. Despite my work with Accenture, many people still think of me as cold and calculated. A couple of Pine-Sol ads where my mom shows me how easy it is to clean my bathroom ("Oh Mom, you're embarrassing me!"—you know, that kind of crap) and we're all set.

But if you don't move on this fast, tomorrow I'm all over the TV with my new Tiger Woods–strength Lysol Wipes. Think about it.

Plain and simple, I would do an excellent job endorsing Pine-Sol. You know it, I know it, the makers of the all-new Gatorade Tiger most certainly know it. A high quality, all-purpose cleaner such as Pine-Sol deserves an endorser who is an ultra competitor—someone who will go to the mat for you no matter what. No way I'm going to half-ass it like Roger Federer or David Beckham would.

See, Tiger Woods likes to get his hands dirty. As your front man, I would work day and night with your scientists to create an all-purpose cleaning formula worthy of the Tiger Woods name. We'll call it "Tiger-Sol" and it will come in a variety of pleasing scents, including Tiger-Berry, Tiger-Apple, Tiger-Peach, Lemon-Tiger—you get the picture. And when Tiger-Sol hits stores, those other bush-league cleaners will have no business even being on the same shelves, let alone trying to make the same bathroom sink sparkle.

I can do it all. Humorous commercials where I'm putting for the U.S. Open championship in my bathtub and I notice there's grime between my ball and the drain that will force the putt off-line. How do I get rid of the grime? Pine-Sol. I sink the putt, the gallery in my bathroom goes crazy, I do one of my signature fist pumps, and you just sold 3 million bottles of Pine-Sol.

Then we move into more artsy commercials where I'm hitting golf balls in slow motion in the rain and my voice-over comes in and says, "Pine-Sol." And for prime-time TV, we'll do one of those mass-appeal commercials where I clean a kitchen with Asian, white, and black kids. We all laugh and start splashing each other, and I get hit on the cheek with a big wad of soap suds. I make my upset face and there's a pause, because all the kids think I'm going to get angry, but I don't. I laugh it off because I'm Tiger Woods and America loves me.

Within a week you'll have kids demanding their parents buy Pine-Sol because Tiger Woods just made cleaning the house awesome. They'll associate your product with 400-yard drives, and being handsome, fit, and effortlessly charming. Then they're hooked on Pine-Sol from the age of 5 until the day they die.

In the end, this is all very simple. Basically, what you have to ask yourself, Pine-Sol, is do you want to make half a billion dollars today or not? That's it. And if there's still any doubt in your mind, think about this: If I've convinced an entire populace that I drive a fucking Buick, I can sure as shit sell a bottle of Pine-Sol.

Last edited by Thorax (2008-07-10 15:13:41)

Jackabo
+127|6558|Dublin, Ireland

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Don't get mad at me or anything, but a country that kills innocent people isn't protecting anyone but themselves.
Thorax
Banned
+77|5804

Jackabo wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Don't get mad at me or anything, but a country that kills innocent people isn't protecting anyone but themselves.
Shut the fuck up.  Seriously, just shut the fuck up with that bullshit.
Jackabo
+127|6558|Dublin, Ireland

Thorax wrote:

Jackabo wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

but

Shut the fuck up.  Seriously, just shut the fuck up with that bullshit.
lol I knew I shouldn't have said that. I'll admit it was wrong for me to say that, but all I hear from everyone is that America bombs innocent people in Iraq or some shit, and i fucking remember seing a report on tv of american soldiers abusing some innocent people a year ago. So don't tell me to stop that shit, because although i'm not entirely right in what i say, im pretty sure im not entirely wrong, i don't research american war or anything but this is the what i think from what people say to me and from what i've seen on the news myself. I don't want to thear any bullshit or crying aout how your doing it to protect people, so how bout you tell me why i saw those things on television and why people are saying this to me... or you could just end the thread or delete the last three posts, all suits me
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5961|Washington DC

Jackabo wrote:

m pretty sure im not entirely wrong, i don't research american war or anything
lol...

Anyway, yes there are people in our military who have committed war crimes and they should be tried to full extent of military law for it.

But one should not let the actions of a few represent the whole. I don't think all Germans are Nazis despite what happened in WWII, I don't think all Middle Easterners are terrorists despite 9/11 and various other attacks, etc.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Jesus Christ! Do they teach America hating in Irish schools or something?!

As to the OP...

Too bad he'll only have a year to spend his billion. You know, with the world ending in 2012 and all...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard