lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/canadi … om_a_home/

I spend my time in this forum thumping the bible of personal responsibility and the belief that we should be allowed to do anything we want as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.

Well, now a wrench has been thrown into my fine machine of morality and freedom with the story of a girl who was taken from her home by authorities for being allowed to wear a swastika on her arm to school.

I no not how I feel about this. This symbol is a disruption in the school no doubt, it is a symbol of hate which sets us back as a society, and it is disgusting that these parents allow it and believe in it, however, it is an expression of free speech and does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.

Usually, I am pretty cut and dry in my opinions....This time I really have no idea.

Last edited by lowing (2008-07-08 23:35:40)

CC-Marley
+407|6820
Even freedom needs rules..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

CC-Marley wrote:

Is she breaking any here though.......I agree there is nothing good that can come of this for society, but I do spend a lot of time asking where in the Constitution do we have the right NOT to get offended.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

lowing wrote:

it is an expression of free speech and does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.
That's certainly debatable.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

it is an expression of free speech and does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.
That's certainly debatable.
the "pursuit of happiness" does mean you are immune from getting your feelings hurt.
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it is just a drawing.  it can be washed off or covered up.  The parents are definitely stupid, and shouldn't have kids, but they do. and this is not a valid reason to separate anyone.  hopefully the kids will grow up to be smarter than their progenitors.

It not like the swastica was tattooed.  that would be child abuse.
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6397|Earth
That is some serious bullshit to have taken their kids. People are allowed to believe what they want, and I don't see anything wrong with the kid having that on their arm. I don't see it as any different from a kid from a strong Christian family wearing a cross around his neck. People should support what they believe in.
Signature
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA
hate speech is not protected under free speech
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

hate speech is not protected under free speech
Uh? Yes it is. Threats aren't, but hate speech is.
syndicat111
+39|6670|UK

CC-Marley wrote:

Thus freedom is not, and has not, been fully achieved.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

stupid CPS, stepping over the line, I'd say. It is unfortunate that people who hold these racist views are allowed to have children, but how you can argue that this hurts the "emotional well-being" of the child is beyond me. Instead, I think it is way more likely that taking the child away from their parents has caused much more emotional damage than a painted swastika ( which the child painted on herself, btw ).

The situation in germany would be different, because legislation on nazi symbols is different over here, but I don't think the decision will stand in canadian court.

btw, there are lots and lots of people that I would not want to have children. But as long as they don't abuse or neglect them, there is nothing you can do.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819
I'm curious as to when Liberal came to mean supports quashing of political opposition..................

It seems pretty clear cut to me: there was no reason to remove the child.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
The authorities had no right to intervene.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
Personally I am still torn, now, I do not think that this kids should have been removed from her home, but this does cause a disruption in school and the education process and social progress of the community.

After reading these responses however I would like to interject a hypothetical,

Should a person be allowed to wear their KKK garb to school?
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

Freedom of speech is an important right that shouldn't be infringed, i guess most people agree on that, however some intelligence should be applied when using that right ... the Mohammed cartoons is a perfect example of just that, it is our right to both draw and publish it but should we not exercise some emphasis with other peoples feelings and search our own moral before we do ?

Yes freedom of speech is important but it doesn't mean we must use it to it's full degree all the time ... yes you may have a swastika on your arm but do you really comprehend what it means ... yes you may wear a KKK garb but don't get surpriced if someones kicks your ass for it ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
...is this also applicable to drawing offensive cartoons of the most revered prophet in Islam?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

lowing wrote:

Personally I am still torn, now, I do not think that this kids should have been removed from her home, but this does cause a disruption in school and the education process and social progress of the community.

After reading these responses however I would like to interject a hypothetical,

that would depend on a couple of things:

- is the KKK a legal organization in the state where the incident occurs ?
- does it comply with school regulations regarding proper clothing ?
- are there other applicable laws or regulations ?

as far as the swastika goes, I don't know on which part of her body the child painted it, so I cannot really tell wether it would cause a disruption in school. However, I don't know many 7-year-olds who would know what a swastika is anyway, so I find it hard to believe it would cause much of a disruption.

How about I give you a hypothetical now:

Let's imagine the little girl is not the daughter of two white supremacists, but the daughter of two very religious people of indian descent. As you know, the swastika is really an ancient religious symbol, used in many cultures, for a variety of purposes, almost all of them being good.
These cultures include Hinduism, Bhuddism, and even abrahamic religions, and believe it or not, even some native americans.

Would the uproar be the same, if a little indian girl came to school with a swastika neclace ? 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/49/Native_American_basketball_team.jpg/180px-Native_American_basketball_team.jpg
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

I'm also an advocate of personal responsibility. Although like most things in life their is no cut and dry, right and wrong. There are grey areas.

Your moral compass can point towards personal responsibility but unfortunately the government (the UK more than US) doesn't allow it. With the nanny state in effect people are relying more and more on the government for their moral code instead of their own sense of right and wrong.

People take the attitude of "its not an criminal offence but offensive to people I am going to do it" Instead of "its offensive so people so I will be a good person, not upset the apple cart and not do it"
I swear people do so much shit, just because they can, to prove a point, while pissing ppl off.

Police men doing the job of parents and the state setting itself up for ultimate blame for societies wrongs were as its the people not giving a shit about society because the government has set us up to be so dependant.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/canadian_politically_correct_child_services_take_children_from_a_home/

I spend my time in this forum thumping the bible of personal responsibility and the belief that we should be allowed to do anything we want as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.

Well, now a wrench has been thrown into my fine machine of morality and freedom with the story of a girl who was taken from her home by authorities for being allowed to wear a swastika on her arm to school.

I no not how I feel about this. This symbol is a disruption in the school no doubt, it is a symbol of hate which sets us back as a society, and it is disgusting that these parents allow it and believe in it, however, it is an expression of free speech and does not infringe on anothers right to life liberty and happiness.

Usually, I am pretty cut and dry in my opinions....This time I really have no idea.
I take it the swastika was inverted? The swastika is an ancient symbol and, when it's not inverted, represents well-being.

Free speech is a bitch, aint it! Small price to pay though in my opinion.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

lowing wrote:

Schools usually have a dress code. I'm pro-freedom of expression. Taking someones children away from them for wearing a certain type of clothing is not okay. Advocating restrictions on personal freedom in the field of clothing would put you in a similar bracket to those tiny few that advocate not offending Muslims with cartoons of Muhammed. We couldn't have that now could we? The Swastika would be as deeply offensive to some of us as the cartoons would be to some of them.

And it wouldn't be strictly correct of you to play the minority card. The reason that the swastika is offensive is because of its Jew-gassing connotations - that is the sickening element. There is no outrage for instance over displaying the Japanese imperial and national flags. If Germany had just simply been expansionist then I don't think the flag would be so offensive today. So effectively one would be specifically catering to the tiny minority of the country that are Jews or Gypsies, much as outlawing Mohammed cartoons would be catering to the tiny minority of the country that is Muslim.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-07-09 05:23:08)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

Schools usually have a dress code. I'm pro-freedom of expression. Taking someones children away from them for wearing a certain type of clothing is not okay. Advocating restrictions on personal freedom in the field of clothing would put you in a similar bracket to those tiny few that advocate not offending Muslims with cartoons of Muhammed. We couldn't have that now could we? The Swastika would be as deeply offensive to some of us as the cartoons would be to some of them.
Exactly. You screamed blue murder, as did many others here, at the prospect of not being allowed to freely display highly offensive cartoons of Mohammed...how can you backtrack on this issue without being completely hypocritical? I think you just have to swallow it up on this one lowing.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6485|Connecticut
Public or Private School?
Malloy must go
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5819
Irrelevant.  Both had the right to enforce a dress code and force the student to remove it, but in neither case should the child have been removed.
13rin
+977|6471

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Irrelevant.  Both had the right to enforce a dress code and force the student to remove it, but in neither case should the child have been removed.
With Bubba on this one.

There was no justifible reason to remove the child here.  Yes, the parents are morons and so is the kid -but....

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2008-07-09 07:20:59)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Hate speech has limits.  A kid using a swastika is disgusting, and could lead to other kids using it because they think it's cool.  I mean cmon, they are 7 years old, they don't understand what the meaning of a swastika is.  The parents are to blame for it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard