'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6375|Escea

Get Smart 8/10

Suprisingly better than I expected. Plus Anne Hathaway
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6151|...
Thor (3D) - 5/10

Good CG, has some funny/good moments, but mostly bad. The movie starts out very weak and wants to do way too much, too fast - as a result the story and characters really, really suffer in quality and depth. Besides okay visuals and the right actor as main character this film has little going for it.

The 3D wasn't terrible but it wasn't any good either, though maybe that has to do with the glasses they gave me because everything became a different shade of brown.
inane little opines
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6892
Tucker and Dale VS Evil

8/10 I found this film very funny
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5625|Ventura, California

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

they had this awesome trailer at the theater for some History channel special on Gettysburg, memorial day.
awesome indeed

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2011-05-19 16:14:34)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6891|Toronto | Canada

Thor - 8/10

Fun, great superhero movie.  Another one I saw in 3D UltraAVX - this time it was definitely worth the extra $5.  Feeling hammer impacts move along the front of the theatre to the back is a pretty cool effect.  Overall an enjoyable movie: great action, good storyline, amazing effects, natalie portman .  I thought the start was strange but it got better as it went on.  Its biggest flaw was likely that almost every single battle was anti-climactic. 

@unnamed - if youre still wishing to visit an UltraAVX theatre, this would be a good movie to see it in
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6720|Mountains of NC

Pirates 4 --- 5/10 and I think thats being very generous .......... I probably gave it that better score due to Cruz and the Hawaii scenery

they just took what worked in the 1st movie and just recycled it straight into the 4th  - the returning actors from the previous movies were just going through the motions, they had zero passion in doing the job and was there just for a paycheck - Cruz was OK but nothing remembering about her character - Ian was just basic, nothing to special - the two green horns the clergy dude and mermaid were the only ones trying but they were nothing special

if their were no other pirate movies to go by then we would never see a sequel ..... I understand this is a new director and he has some very large shoes to fill that Gore left behind but it had a very mediocre feel from start to finish
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6422
I thought it looked terrible from the first trailer. They've just gotten steadily worse ever since the first one (which was great and original), constantly recycling everything.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-05-20 07:43:34)

SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I thought it looked terrible from the first trailer. They've just gotten steadily worse ever since the first one (which was great and original), constantly recycling everything.
20 mins into I wanted my money back but since it was a free ticket I would have accpeted an apology for this film
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6151|...

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Thor - 8/10
Really?

The only redeeming bit of the movie were the initial moments of him being on Earth. The rest was just... mediocre.
inane little opines
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

It had good action scenes, was funny, solid storyline... what more do you want?  I hold every kind of movie by a different set of standards.  Plus seeing it in UltraAVX made it incredibly in terms of audio and video.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6151|...
solid storyline? It was horrible. They didn't take the time to flesh out any of their ideas. It was just a constant summation of events for the sake of trying to finish up the story within 2 hours. Completely lacking in originality and, especially depth.

Occasionally it was funny and the action scenes and CG were 'okay' by today's standards.
inane little opines
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

you realize its a prequel to likely quite a few later movies, right? they cant close every loose end - there'd be nothing left for the later movies.  and original? its based off of mythology...

it was quite funny throughout the movie and the action scenes were good but, as i said before, anti-climactic.  there never really was a sense of a ultimate bad guy fight
Stimey
­
+786|6272|Ontario | Canada
Wheres an ultra AVX theatre around here?
­
­
­
­
­
­
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

Winston_Churchill wrote:

you realize its a prequel to likely quite a few later movies, right? they cant close every loose end - there'd be nothing left for the later movies.  and original? its based off of mythology...

it was quite funny throughout the movie and the action scenes were good but, as i said before, anti-climactic.  there never really was a sense of a ultimate bad guy fight
I think the sequence of timeline for the avenger franchise goes

Capt America - Ironman - Incredible Hulk - Ironman 2 - Thor ----- not sure about Ironman 3 and The Avengers

Ironman 2 and Hulk in marvel movie timeline are running at the same time if not very close ( when Stark sits down with Fury you see the monitors in back with reports of the mayhem at the college )
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i mean theres gonna be more than one avengers movie.  theres no way theyll pour all this money into the franchise and let it end there.

theres one at scotiabank place downtown stimey, thats where i go. one in RH and vaughan too

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/UltraAVX.aspx
Stimey
­
+786|6272|Ontario | Canada
Oh sick theres on in missisauga, only like 20 mins away.
Might go there for the avengers movie or something then.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6151|...
A 'prequel'? It felt more like an experiment with -hopes- of any sequel. The film went through everything way, way too quickly. It starts out weak and then quickly skips from young Thor being an idiot to adult Thor being an idiot introducing his friends without any backstory whatsoever and convincing them to come with him simply by saying something along the lines of "hey I like you guys letsgo". It's ridiculous. All the while no attention is paid to the surrounding world of Asgard (or whatever the name was) and very few characters of the place are introduced. Not to mention that the motives of mr.Thor to do what he does are really just infantile.

The point is that they've tried to pump -way too much- into one movie. Flying about inbetween three different worlds and multiple supporting characters who are so numerous their roles have been largely marginalized to nothing. The love interest between the main character and ms. scientist for example just happened without any actual conversation or interaction preceding it, they just squeezed it in as part of the "standard succesful movie formula". The explanation of how the various worlds are connected is hilariously short, possibly also because every conversation lasts no more than a couple minutes at most leaving no room for solid acting or explanations.

It's absolutely terrible.
inane little opines
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

I hope that they make more avengers movies but till we get better insight with the one coming out in '12, I'll hold my hopes and dreams
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4994|Amsterdam
Requiem for a dream
9/10
Very trippy but very good. Excellent cinematography, dialect and story. Overall great movie.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6924|PNW

Winston_Churchill wrote:

@unnamed - if youre still wishing to visit an UltraAVX theatre, this would be a good movie to see it in
I'm still interested in UltraAVX; I just don't know if Thor's going to be something I want to drive to Canada to see.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5854|College Park, MD
Conviction - 8.7/10

Was a tiny bit slow in some parts but overall I found it quite enjoyable. Hillary Swank and Sam Rockwell put on great performances. Definitely worth watching if you're into legal dramas.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6924|PNW

A Clockwork Orange 10/10

I remind myself to watch this every couple years or so. It's long, slow and plodding, but glues you to your seat and your eyes to the screen for the entire duration. Still macabre after all this time, and evidence of a film's triumph despite its lack of special effects. If you got the blu-ray, take a look at the special features.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6649

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

A Clockwork Orange 10/10
I agree. Before I post I drink
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6649

God am touch screen. ...
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6811|BC, Canada

burnzz wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

A Clockwork Orange 10/10
I agree. Before I post I drink
I drink, watch the movie, and post at the same time.

Fear and Loathing by the way, Amazing/10 as per the norm.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard