Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/06/ … 215351753/

https://i27.tinypic.com/2rfghw2.jpg

The U.S. military is on the verge of driving al-Qaida out of its last Iraqi stronghold, The Sunday Times of London reports.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w … 276486.ece

Did you know that the US and Iraq will shortly conclude “one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror”?  You wouldn’t if you read American newspapers or watched American television.  The Times of London reports on the approaching end of al-Qaeda in Iraq as the forces of Nouri al-Maliki and the US close the trap on 1,200 AQ terrorists in Mosul:

https://i31.tinypic.com/oi63di.jpg

After being forced from its strongholds in the west and centre of Iraq in the past two years, Al-Qaeda’s dwindling band of fighters has made a defiant “last stand” in the northern city of Mosul.

A huge operation to crush the 1,200 fighters who remained from a terrorist force once estimated at more than 12,000 began on May 10.

Operation Lion’s Roar, in which the Iraqi army combined forces with the Americans’ 3rd Armoured Cavalry Regiment, has already resulted in the death of Abu Khalaf, the Al-Qaeda leader, and the capture of more than 1,000 suspects.
How significant will victory in Mosul be?  The American commander in the region, Gen. Mark Hertling, calls it “the irreversible point”.  It will deprive AQ of an urban base and put them at the mercy of tribal leaders in the countryside.  For the terrorists, that means certain death — which will likely force them to find a way out of Iraq without further incident.

Maliki has declared that the terrorist siege of Baghdad and Iraq has collapsed.  He blamed unnamed foreign nations for funding the terrorist wave against his nation, and hailed the new Iraqi Army for its tenacity against the radicals of all stripes.  While he kept his praise to the Iraqis, the unspoken truth is that the IA could never have survived it without the Bush administration’s shift in strategy and tactics in January 2007, and without George Bush’s tenacity in insisting that we stay and finish the job in Iraq.

And what have we won?  AQ has sustained an unmitigated defeat in Iraq.  They have lost tens of thousands of recruits and fighters, men that would have otherwise volunteered for other missions in which they didn’t have to face the American military.  They have lost their supposedly divine endorsement; why would Allah have called them to action, just to see them destroyed by the infidels?  The sheer bloodthirstiness of their actions in Iraq have exposed them as drug-driven demons, not righteous jihadists.

The Times of London has this right: the victory in Mosul gives the West the most spectacular victory of the war.  Too bad the American media missed it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/06/Report_Al-Qaida_in_Iraq_mostly_defeated/UPI-22181215351753/

http://i27.tinypic.com/2rfghw2.jpg

The U.S. military is on the verge of driving al-Qaida out of its last Iraqi stronghold, The Sunday Times of London reports.

Did you know that the US and Iraq will shortly conclude “one of the most spectacular victories of the war on terror”?  You wouldn’t if you read American newspapers or watched American television.  The Times of London reports on the approaching end of al-Qaeda in Iraq as the forces of Nouri al-Maliki and the US close the trap on 1,200 AQ terrorists in Mosul:

http://i31.tinypic.com/oi63di.jpg

After being forced from its strongholds in the west and centre of Iraq in the past two years, Al-Qaeda’s dwindling band of fighters has made a defiant “last stand” in the northern city of Mosul.

A huge operation to crush the 1,200 fighters who remained from a terrorist force once estimated at more than 12,000 began on May 10.

Operation Lion’s Roar, in which the Iraqi army combined forces with the Americans’ 3rd Armoured Cavalry Regiment, has already resulted in the death of Abu Khalaf, the Al-Qaeda leader, and the capture of more than 1,000 suspects.
How significant will victory in Mosul be?  The American commander in the region, Gen. Mark Hertling, calls it “the irreversible point”.  It will deprive AQ of an urban base and put them at the mercy of tribal leaders in the countryside.  For the terrorists, that means certain death — which will likely force them to find a way out of Iraq without further incident.

Maliki has declared that the terrorist siege of Baghdad and Iraq has collapsed.  He blamed unnamed foreign nations for funding the terrorist wave against his nation, and hailed the new Iraqi Army for its tenacity against the radicals of all stripes.  While he kept his praise to the Iraqis, the unspoken truth is that the IA could never have survived it without the Bush administration’s shift in strategy and tactics in January 2007, and without George Bush’s tenacity in insisting that we stay and finish the job in Iraq.

And what have we won?  AQ has sustained an unmitigated defeat in Iraq.  They have lost tens of thousands of recruits and fighters, men that would have otherwise volunteered for other missions in which they didn’t have to face the American military.  They have lost their supposedly divine endorsement; why would Allah have called them to action, just to see them destroyed by the infidels?  The sheer bloodthirstiness of their actions in Iraq have exposed them as drug-driven demons, not righteous jihadists.

The Times of London has this right: the victory in Mosul gives the West the most spectacular victory of the war.  Too bad the American media missed it
the media missed it because this "war on terror" is bogus
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6342|tropical regions of london
Tawhid and Jihad in Mesopotamia are just a drop in a bucket.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6452|The Twilight Zone
Iraqis seem kinda incapable to push Al-Qaeda back imo.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
They'll never completely purge Al Qaeda really, but this is a big step. Glad to see Iraq's armed forces are finally coming into their own.
God Save the Queen
Banned
I happen to believe AQ in Iraq is not as important as the media makes it out to be.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860

God Save the Queen wrote:

I happen to believe AQ in Iraq is not as important as the media makes it out to be.
Because this war put AQ in Iraq, they weren't there before, this war gave them a lop hole to enter Iraq.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK
Great stuff. Now how are you going to contain Sunni vs Shia violence?  AQ has done it's job.  It lit the fuse paper between both factions.

Iraq is far from secure.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

No, but Iraqis taken charge of Iraq is. You guys miss the larger point of the story.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

They'll never completely purge Al Qaeda really, but this is a big step. Glad to see Iraq's armed forces are finally coming into their own.
Just like gang violence will never completely be purged from the US.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Kmarion wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Just like gang violence will never completely be purged from the US.
Exactly. You can contain it and keep it down to a minimum, but it'll never be completely purged.

Just like Judaism. Yeah, fuck you Hitler. :S
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/06/Report_Al-Qaida_in_Iraq_mostly_defeated/UPI-22181215351753/

http://i27.tinypic.com/2rfghw2.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/oi63di.jpg

The Times of London has this right: the victory in Mosul gives the West the most spectacular victory of the war.  Too bad the American media missed it.
Big step here, I mean look at Basra these days last I heard its security was near 100%.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6447

As far as I know, it was completely "purged" before the invasion.

Mind you, I didn't know what "purged" meant in English, till now
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

m3thod wrote:

Great stuff. Now how are you going to contain Sunni vs Shia violence?  AQ has done it's job.  It lit the fuse paper between both factions.

Iraq is far from secure.
Neither is Detroit, Mich.

But I'll take this:
https://i29.tinypic.com/2n74egj.gif
http://icasualties.org/oif/
In sum, the worst of the horrors unleashed in the sectarian violence after the bombing of a Shia shrine in February 2006 may be over. The death rate is sharply down. Fewer Americans were killed in hostilities in May, when 19 died, than in any month since the invasion of March 2003 (see chart). That is half the average for the first four months of this year and one-quarter of last year's rate. The Iraqi civilian toll is harder to measure. Iraq Body Count, a group that collates a tally of casualties from media reports, noted 752 civilian and police deaths in May, a grim figure but less than a third of the average last summer.

Btw, what's up with people quoting the OP? ..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK
It certainly good to see...but i'm not convinced they will play friendly neighbors with time to come.  The Iran factor still hasn't entered the foray too.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

God forbid we recognize some good news. Or just accept it without stupid comments about AQ not being there before the invasion. Way to detract from the accomplishments of the free Iraqi military and police. I'm sure they appreciate it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6393|The Gem Saloon

m3thod wrote:

It certainly good to see...but i'm not convinced they will play friendly neighbors with time to come.  The Iran factor still hasn't entered the foray too.
agreed.
as far as im concerned there is still a pretty large power vacuum over there. one that Iran is still waiting to pounce on....remember, Iraq was a fucking buffer for a LONG time.
its not going to be anymore, and once that shit starts happening, its going to be a whole different beast than trying to find some dick with an IED.

never mind the fact that this country seems to be on a straight on course for a war with Iran.

im happy that some progress is being made, but hesitant for what lies in the future.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6447

FEOS wrote:

God forbid we recognize some good news. Or just accept it without stupid comments about AQ not being there before the invasion. Way to detract from the accomplishments of the free Iraqi military and police. I'm sure they appreciate it.
Yea, I apologise for the stupid comment, that looks like it offended you. But, I was just pointing it out, after reading the the posts above, nothing to do with the OP itself.

That's what forums are for, to discuss comments; regardless of whether they are stupid or not.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

Isn't the real problem the ethnic tensions between the various Iraqi groups? Defeating AQ would be great but I don't think it would necessarily rule out a civil war in the long run.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860

Braddock wrote:

Isn't the real problem the ethnic tensions between the various Iraqi groups? Defeating AQ would be great but I don't think it would necessarily rule out a civil war in the long run.
"The Americans in Iraq represent the occupation force, therefore any agreement with them should be refused.

Despite sectarian tendencies, the Iraqis remain united and all the instability can be blamed on the Americans. As soon as the Americans leave the Iraqis will be reunited again and there will be no difference between Sunnis and Shias. "

Abdul Kareem, traffic policeman, in Iraq.

sums it up nicely
God Save the Queen
Banned
Abdul Kareem is a moron.

-me, OIF Veteran.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-07-06 13:51:52)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Fair enough it's good news but I'm sorry...AQ weren't there in any great numbers before the invasion. It's a bit like someone smashing into your car and then asking for a pat on the back after they've had the damage fixed.

But I admit it is better news than not being able to defeat them after creating the environment in which they entered.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5790|Dublin, Ohio

Abdul Kareem is a moron.

-me, OIF Veteran.
rofl

Abdul is prolly al-q.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

rammunition wrote:

Braddock wrote:

"The Americans in Iraq represent the occupation force, therefore any agreement with them should be refused.

Despite sectarian tendencies, the Iraqis remain united and all the instability can be blamed on the Americans. As soon as the Americans leave the Iraqis will be reunited again and there will be no difference between Sunnis and Shias. "

Abdul Kareem, traffic policeman, in Iraq.

sums it up nicely
Wishful thinking if you ask me. The ethnic melting pot that exists in Iraq needs a strong ruler with an iron fist and he was hung quite a while back. Iraq will split up along ethnic lines after a civil war.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

rammunition is a troll who has no idea what he's on about.

-me, OIF Veteran.
Fixed for accuracy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard