Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6220|Brisneyland
OK so fuel prices are higher and nothing you can do about it. What you can control is the way you drive. You can greatly reduce your fuel consumption just by driving differently ( and I dont mean driving like a grandad either).
Here are some tips (in no particular order, apologies if some are obvious):

1. Make sure your car tyres are inflated to max tyre pressures. Also get a regular tune-up.
2. Take all unnecessary crap out of the car if you can to reduce weight.
3. Drive smoothly. Avoid jerky use of throttle or brakes. Throttle use is obvious, but brake overuse is just taking away all the momentum your petrol made seconds previously.
4. Try to keep moving. If you see a Red light coming up, slow down a bit to try and catch the green without stopping. It takes much more energy for a car to take off from a standstill. Try to avoid stopping where possible.
5. Try to change up gears early without the engine working too hard. Try to drive in the bottom of the cars torque curve.
6. In a manual car, limit slipping the clutch as much as possible.
7. Try to anticipate what traffic is doing. Choose a free flowing lane if possible. Constant lane swapping usually wastes energy though.
8. Turn off air con if possible, close windows too (where practical).
9. If you are on a downhill stretch, consider gradually speeding up ( if possible and within reason). Its basically using gravity to your advantage.
10. Drive with the shoe off your right foot (seriously!). Your foot is so much more sensitive without a shoe, therefore you can reduce the amount of throttle you use. Cruise control also works well, the cars computer should know the minimal amount of throttle to use to keep things going.
11. In an auto, consider changing into neutral when stopped at lights. ( I dont do this one myself as the one time I forget I'm in neutral, the car will probably rev to 7000rpm before I realise, then put it into gear).
12. If you can predict you will be stationary for over 30 seconds, turn off the engine.
13. Drive like there is a massive nail sticking out of the throttle.
14. Take off Roof racks if you dont need them.

There are probably more tips I dont know/ or have forgot, however if you post them I will edit them into the OP.
I love driving, and love opening the throttle on a winding road, but most of my driving is in the city, so theres no reason to not use the above tips.
A recent road test with a turbo petrol 1.6 L car, the official fuel consumption ( city) is 9.8l/100km (approx 24mpg), however the road testers achieved 6.59l/100 km (approx 35 mpg, mainly city driving) using some of the above tips. This is a reduction of between 20-25% on the official figures.source
That would wipe out most of the recent increases in fuel prices, and these tips can be used on any car.

Last edited by Burwhale the Avenger (2008-07-04 23:33:11)

ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825
Over here fuel prices have doubled.

Ignoring that, I highly doubt the effect is as great as you're suggesting.  Certainly, many of your suggestions are negligible (air-con, for one).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

I just draft behind semi's.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
paul386
+22|6242
Honestly the best thing you can do:

Avoid stopping
drive slow
don't use air conditioner

Accelerating fast may actually be more efficient than accelerating slowly as your engine is more efficient at peak output.
link52787
+29|6519
Its kinda hard to save gas where I am especially when the damn traffic lights turn so fast. 

1)stop, wait 30 seconds
2)go for a block, then stop again for 30 seconds at red light
3)go again. 

I have to repeat the process just to go 2 blocks.  waste of gas.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6220|Brisneyland

Zombie Vampire wrote:

Ignoring that, I highly doubt the effect is as great as you're suggesting.  Certainly, many of your suggestions are negligible (air-con, for one).
Check the source. I have no reason to doubt it. Air con does make a difference, a quick internet check has figures quoting 11-20% increase in fuel consumption with air con on.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6444|Chicago, IL

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

Zombie Vampire wrote:

Check the source. I have no reason to doubt it. Air con does make a difference, a quick internet check has figures quoting 11-20% increase in fuel consumption with air con on.
thats old, newer research (i cant bother to search) has shown only negligible gains
Thorax
Banned
+77|5801

Kmarion wrote:

I have tried this before, however I am not sure of the appropriate distance to follow at and usually get a little to close for my own comfort.  What distance would you recommend following at?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

A car length for every 10 mph. Eyes on the road of course .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6220|Brisneyland

S.Lythberg wrote:

thats old, newer research (i cant bother to search) has shown only negligible gains
Dont believe it, Unless its powered by a battery. Its a compressor that runs off engine power. Even new air con units sap the cars power. Its unavoidable.
Reciprocity
+721|6578|the dank(super) side of Oregon
even better, get your god damned car tuned up.  every day i get people complaining about poor mileage and it's usually because they've driven their toyota camry 130k miles on the original spark plugs, and their car is only has two functional cylinders.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6757|San Antonio, Texas
Sooo.... Flooring it to 80 in my 5.4L V8 pickup truck is not advisable?
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6220|Brisneyland

M5 wrote:

Sooo.... Flooring it to 80 in my 5.4L V8 pickup truck is not advisable?
Not if you are saving petrol. If you are having fun, I couldnt think of too much better.
The#1Spot
+105|6537|byah

Thorax wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I have tried this before, however I am not sure of the appropriate distance to follow at and usually get a little to close for my own comfort.  What distance would you recommend following at?
Probable 3-6 sec. Less air resistance = brakes have to work harder to slow down. I doubt you will encounter a truck driver that is going to slam their brakes. Never hurts to prepare.
The#1Spot
+105|6537|byah

OK so fuel prices are higher and nothing you can do about it. What you can control is the way you drive. You can greatly reduce your fuel consumption just by driving differently ( and I dont mean driving like a grandad either).

1. Make sure your car tyres are inflated to max tyre pressures. Also get a regular tune-up.
3. Drive smoothly. Avoid jerky use of throttle or brakes. Throttle use is obvious, but brake overuse is just taking away all the momentum your petrol made seconds previously.
4. Try to keep moving. If you see a Red light coming up, slow down a bit to try and catch the green without stopping. It takes much more energy for a car to take off from a standstill. Try to avoid stopping where possible.
5. Try to change up gears early without the engine working too hard. Try to drive in the bottom of the cars torque curve.
7. Try to anticipate what traffic is doing. Choose a free flowing lane if possible. Constant lane swapping usually wastes energy though.
9. If you are on a downhill stretch, consider gradually speeding up ( if possible and within reason). Its basically using gravity to your advantage.
10. Drive with the shoe off your right foot (seriously!). Your foot is so much more sensitive without a shoe, therefore you can reduce the amount of throttle you use. Cruise control also works well, the cars computer should know the minimal amount of throttle to use to keep things going.
11. In an auto, consider changing into neutral when stopped at lights. ( I dont do this one myself as the one time I forget I'm in neutral, the car will probably rev to 7000rpm before I realise, then put it into gear).
12. If you can predict you will be stationary for over 30 seconds, turn off the engine.

There are probably more tips I dont know/ or have forgot, however if you post them I will edit them into the OP.
I love driving, and love opening the throttle on a winding road, but most of my driving is in the city, so theres no reason to not use the above tips.
A recent road test with a turbo petrol 1.6 L car, the official fuel consumption ( city) is 9.8l/100km (approx 24mpg), however the road testers achieved 6.59l/100 km (approx 35 mpg, mainly city driving) using some of the above tips. This is a reduction of between 20-25% on the official figures.source
That would wipe out most of the recent increases in fuel prices, and these tips can be used on any car.
1. I bet around half or even more people have not done this or only did either
2. Sad that some people cant do this
3. 75hp car. Self explained
4. I try hard to do this all the time
5. I wish my tachometer worked
6. Never heard of anyone riding a clutch as a habit
7. I wish I can apply this but I live in Florida
8. Florida is hot and my car is black
9. Yea I do about 70mph down hill in a 45 to to level out after going uphill.
10. Small gas petal 5in size 15 shoe and small car.
11. Holding the brake on an auto will disengage the transmission from the engine.
12. I can only see this suitable when at train crossings
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland
I don't mind if you do all that, just stick to the speed limit and don't go under it.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6471|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I walk so
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825

paul386 wrote:

drive slow
Wrong.  Driving too slow can increase fuel consumption just the same as driving too fast.  Drive at a reasonable speed for safety, it's more important than fuel consumption anyway.

Zombie Vampire wrote:

I do.  It was a study done by journalists, not trained researchers (i.e. scientists).

Further, if the air con makes that much difference, how come their total gain is only ~25% max?

S.Lythberg wrote:

Dont believe it, Unless its powered by a battery. Its a compressor that runs off engine power. Even new air con units sap the cars power. Its unavoidable.
Yes, but the power needed to turn the fan is tiny compared to the power needed to move the car.  Further, some or most of the energy is energy that would otherwise be wasted anyway.

kylef wrote:

I don't mind if you do all that, just stick to the speed limit and don't go under it.
No.  Speed limits are just that.  Limits.  Maximums in desirable conditions.  You should be going slower in rain, or other adverse conditions.  You should be going slower if you feel it's required.  As a rule, though, try to avoid going more than 10-20k under, or you'll become a hazard.

You really want to save fuel?

Buy a motorbike.

Last edited by ZombieVampire! (2008-07-05 02:52:33)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6490|N. Ireland

ZombieVampire! wrote:

kylef wrote:

No.  Speed limits are just that.  Limits.  Maximums in desirable conditions.  You should be going slower in rain, or other adverse conditions.  You should be going slower if you feel it's required.  As a rule, though, try to avoid going more than 10-20k under, or you'll become a hazard.
Understandable in poor conditions of course, but in standard conditions there is no excuse for going under the speed limit. You are holding up other drivers, and from there I could just go into a raft of reasons as to why that's bad for fuel.
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5825

kylef wrote:

ZombieVampire! wrote:

kylef wrote:

Understandable in poor conditions of course, but in standard conditions there is no excuse for going under the speed limit. You are holding up other drivers, and from there I could just go into a raft of reasons as to why that's bad for fuel.
Wrong.  If you're that concerned about being held up, too bad.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6755|Argentina
I drive very fast, I change gears up between 4000-5000 Rpm, I change lanes all the time and I get 16 miles/gallon, and honestly I don't care.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6840|Reykjavík, Iceland.
At least you Americans still have dirt cheap gas comapared to Europe, I'm talking about double price here.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

ZombieVampire! wrote:

Over here fuel prices have doubled.

Air con negligible?

Air con is an immense drain on fuel. I find it hard to believe that everyone doesn't realise what a drain it actually is, since it accounts for an average of 14% of fuel consumption (obviously the percentage varies dependent on the overall fuel consumption of the vehicle - though on some cars it can be nearly 40% - I hired a car once in Greece that couldn't drive uphill with the air con on, that was awkward). The reduction in petrol consumption from lower air resistance due to not having the windows open does not counter this extra consumption, unless travelling quite fast (100mph+).

There have been numerous scientific studies conducted about this and the results are unambiguous. Real world studies by car clubs also demonstrate the same thing.

German car club ADAC calculated how aircon systems can affect fuel consumption. Its test cars found that reducing the car’s temperature from 31C to 22C used between 2.47 and 4.15 litres per 100km.
Considering my car gets 11km/litre, I use about 9 litres to drive 100km. That's about 25-40% of my consumption.

Engines work around the principle of compression. That's why you add turbos or superchargers to make them go faster. Things that sap compression, like air con does, will have a great impact on performance and the overall efficiency of the system.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I have a somewhat different perspective, as the vehicle I drive around most often is large, spacious and would look Borgish if the right hoses, light, plastic and paint were applied.

1. Check. Paranoid about all that anyway.
2. Uncheck. I gotta go to job sites prepared for extra requests that weren't on the list.
3. Uncheck. Would like to, and generally do, but people drive like airheads around large trucks. Some of them will even follow you around for about a mile honking their horn angrily because of it.
4. Uncheck. In the Puget Sound area, cameras have been installed in many intersections. In an attempt to increase revenue, cities have shortened the length of time it takes to go from yellow to red. If I constantly drive 20mph, I'll never get anywhere. If I try to slam on my brakes to compensate for the split second of yellow notice I've been given, I'll stop in the middle of the intersection.
5. Check.
7. Check. When possible. However, in the noodly mess that Washington highway exits are and the extensive 30 minute detours that result from missing one, it's sometimes not possible.
8. When possible. People distracted by intense amounts of heat can get into wrecks. Having wind blowing on your face can keep your attention up on long, boring drives.
9. Check. I can generally maintain a constant speed down most grades around here without the use of gas or brakes.
10. Uncheck. I can also kill my foot and foul up my socks with bottom of the shoe parking lot grease encountered on a regular basis, and I'm not about to buy a pair of split-toed ninja shoes.
11. Uncheck, for your reason, but mostly because it doesn't really do much.
12. Uncheck. Usually, circumstances like that are when I'm doing many stops and starts while the painter in back of my truck is spraying down stencils. If I forget the truck's already on and try to start it, well, it's a hellacious noise.
13. Check. I don't really have a choice here.
14. Uncheck. I'm towing around so much weight that a roof rack is a spit in the bucket. It takes me a full tank of gas to haul my ass from Tacoma to Tri-Cities.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-07-05 04:33:36)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

4. Uncheck. In the Puget Sound area, cameras have been installed in many intersections. In an attempt to increase revenue, cities have shortened the length of time it takes to go from yellow to red. If I constantly drive 20mph, I'll never get anywhere. If I try to slam on my brakes to compensate for the split second of yellow notice I've been given, I'll stop in the middle of the intersection.
That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about approaching lights that are already red and approaching them slowly enough that you haven't come to a complete standstill by the time they change back to green.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-07-05 04:37:02)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard