Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
2:30am.

Going on holiday with friends to Ibiza this summer - not for your typical binge trip - but actually to see some electronic acts that me and my friends are very interested in. Great venues, great weather and great music, what can possibly fail?

My iPod, apparently.

A sterling beauty, 30Gb of capacious storage, full to the brim with my plethora of esoteric and wonderfully abstract music; she was one of the 'original breed'- a tough little number that has survived several wars and episodes since her conception in the factory; one of the first of the 5th generation- brand new off the marketed 'iPod Video!' shelves and into my eagerly awaiting pocket.

And now a week before my holiday, with all of its laborious and monotonous journeying, just as my pockets are at their emptiest and most pittifully empty- she finally keels over and succumbs to years of pounding punishment and drilling daily use. As I went to give her the 'daily charge' - I noticed that the crystalline and vivid LCD display wasn't quite right-- no longer did I see the endless lists of my finely-organised library, alas instead all that she offered was a confused and chaotic myriad of lines and squiggles. "Oh, what has my fangled iTunes done?" I asked, whilst removing her from the dock and massaging her cycle-wheel with my caring caresses. But no, this was not the sinister doings of iTunes, it was with horror and anguish that I realized the problem was located within that chitinous black box; the LCD itself was crippled.

Note to self: Do not celebrate your open love for your musical companion by physically going to bed with it.

Oh, calamity is an inconvenient curse to suffer! All these years of being sang to sleep by the soothing iPod's sound, only to be punished in such a cruel way before my holiday!

https://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/05/broken%20ipod.png

How am I going to raise £210.00 by next week, with my holiday budget to see to? An audiophile and music-lover such as myself cannot tolerate the torturous thought of a future without such a gizmatronic companion! Woe is me!

(For the non-discerning: I slept on my iPod and broke the screen, now I am financially and emotionally ruined. Is it down the road or across the street?)

Last edited by Uzique (2008-07-04 18:53:07)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK
Do you only need a mp3 player to entertain you for the flight?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
I listen to music during all of my journeys, I'm rather susceptible to travel-sickness and find that music or something of the sort normally takes my mind off the actual travelling. Plus on a day-to-day basis whilst in University or whilst working I normally always habitually listen to music on my iPod... a work motivator and creative catalyst, if you will .

I 'need' an iPod as such because my music library is in excess of 300Gb, and I'm the sort that listens to music so frequently and so widely that anything less than 30Gb doesn't suffice. I know people say "You'll never listen to 'x' Gb of music in one day anyway!"- but it's the pure fact that I already have to filter down my selection to 10% of my music before I leave the house, - it gives me so little choice!

Yes indeed, I am quite the broken man without my little slice of Steve Job's pie in my pocket.

Perhaps it's time to look into those auspicious iPod pyramid schemes...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6196|Winland

An hero. It's the only thing left.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Uzique wrote:

(For the non-discerning: I slept on my iPod and broke the screen, now I am financially and emotionally ruined. Is it down the road or across the street?)
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6631

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The only thing left.

Freezer go to bed.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6446|Chicago, IL
my ipod took a ride in the washing machine a few years back...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

S.Lythberg wrote:

And how did you cope with the ensuing grief?

Repair charges on iPods are criminally extortionate . Basically gives you the choice of spending muchos dineros to marginally extend the lifespan of an already-terminally ill product, or to stretch the few extra bucks and buy a brand spanking new one. Damn their business model!

Last edited by Uzique (2008-07-04 19:06:09)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6459|UK
Ouch I'd suggest a cheap small one to tide you over for the plane on holiday. Then earn some money when you get back and sort yourself out with a proper one. Erm overclockers.co.uk have got a 4gb Zen stone for cheap.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD
Lucky bastard for ever having one.  The only iPod I've ever had is a 1GB current-gen shuffle.  My MP3 player is a SanDisk Sansa m240 but on the way home from Buffalo one day, a piece of the headphones stopped working and I couldn't hear a certain instrument right and 7 hours of staring at fucking tree-covered mountains(pretty much all of Pennsylvania) can make you pretty damn angry so I bit my MP3 player and the screen filled up with the black stuff so it still works but I have to go through all my songs if I want to reach something.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
..How much do you weigh?
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6631

_j5689_ wrote:

Lucky bastard for ever having one.  The only iPod I've ever had is a 1GB current-gen shuffle.  My MP3 player is a SanDisk Sansa m240 but on the way home from Buffalo one day, a piece of the headphones stopped working and I couldn't hear a certain instrument right and 7 hours of staring at fucking tree-covered mountains(pretty much all of Pennsylvania) can make you pretty damn angry so I bit my MP3 player and the screen filled up with the black stuff so it still works but I have to go through all my songs if I want to reach something.
Lol, how did it taste?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

DefCon-17 wrote:

..How much do you weigh?
Very light and slim actually, not that it really matters

The plastic casing over the LCD display isn't really that thick or durable- it can take the minor knocks, but definitely not the heavy pressure!
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6741|FUCK UBISOFT

My 30 gig broke, so I used the money from the warranty to get an 80 gig.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD

Gooners wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Lol, how did it taste?
Oh, there's like 4 layers I think, I only penetrated the first one going outward so I guess so it all stayed inside the screen, if I penetrated the second layer, I probably would've seen the fluid rattling around inside that layer, if I penetrated the third, I would've had the fish tank effect methinks and the fourth would've given me the yum yums.

It's colorless so it the screen is like a calculator screen with a backlight.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
Well from having a peek around inside my iPod, I can firstly say "Wow!"- Apple really are rather efficient with their space when it comes to circuitry and compact production! The hard-drive sits on a padded layer above all the circuit-boards, with the LCD being connected via thinly via some form of 'ribbon'. It seems my knackered LCD needs complete replacement, absolutely ruined .

Ah these things happen at the most unfortunate time!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

I dropped my 40gb classic, oops. Took in into an apple centre as it was still under warranty. Replaced for free. I was really happy that it was under warranty as it was bought brand new from ebay rather cheaply.

I'd suggest you browse ebay and pick the best one you can find at a good price.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6219|Phoenix, AZ
Mine used to give me that shit all the time...

Im being 100% serious here, bang it with the metal part (not the screen) firmly against a hard surface (pref wood) but not so hard as to do a lot of damage... do that 3 or so times and then try to turn it on.

id do it every time it said that message and www.apple.com/support on the bottom... and every time it worked.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD

GodFather wrote:

Im being 100% serious here, bang it with the metal part (not the screen) firmly against a hard surface (pref wood) but not so hard as to do a lot of damage... do that 3 or so times and then try to turn it on.

id do it every time it said that message and www.apple.com/support on the bottom... and every time it worked.
You might be talking about something else, I think his screen is fucked.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6219|Phoenix, AZ

_j5689_ wrote:

GodFather wrote:

hows his screen fucked if he has the little ipod with a sadface?

I started reading and gave up tbh, too poetic...
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6446|Chicago, IL

Uzique wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

And how did you cope with the ensuing grief?

Repair charges on iPods are criminally extortionate . Basically gives you the choice of spending muchos dineros to marginally extend the lifespan of an already-terminally ill product, or to stretch the few extra bucks and buy a brand spanking new one. Damn their business model!
i won a new ipod in a raffle tbh...
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD

GodFather wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

GodFather wrote:

hows his screen fucked if he has the little ipod with a sadface?

I started reading and gave up tbh, too poetic...
I thought that was just something he got off google because it was related to the overall incapacitation of his iPod.  Like I said, I've never had one so I never knew that was what the error message looked like.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5930|Somewhere out in Space
Someone stole my ipod...

thats when i learned i was a robot
Defiance
+438|6670

Uh, get another player if you want and can.

I'd suggest a decent player though, you can't call yourself an audiophile and carry around an iTouch.
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6634|South Jersey
My condolences for your dead iPod.  I feel your pain.  Some bag of douche punched my iPod and broke the screen.  Cost me $100+ to fix.  He won't admit that he broke it, and so I will eventually get my revenge.  Probably light his house on fire or something, not sure yet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard