Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN

techreport.com wrote:

Before AMD launched its first Phenom processors last year, the rumor mill was rife with news of dual-core and top-of-the-line, "FX"-branded derivatives of the Phenom X4. AMD has since introduced its triple-core Phenom X3 CPUs, but the entire Phenom line is still sandwiched between $145 and $235. What gives?

Citing its usual sources at motherboard manufacturers, DigiTimes says the answer is simple: AMD has shelved other Phenom derivatives. The company's roadmap reportedly called for 65nm, dual-core Phenoms in May or June, but the Athlon X2 5600+ will fill in until AMD makes the jump to 45nm process technology. AMD stated back in April that 45nm production will begin "at mature yields" in the summer, followed by volume 45nm shipments in the fourth quarter. In the meantime, a recent Asus press release hints that AMD will introduce higher-clocked 65nm Phenoms before long.

DigiTimes claims AMD's 45nm roadmap includes "Deneb FX" processors that could revive the firm's premium enthusiast line. Considering Intel's rumored plans for Nehalem, though, Deneb FX could face the same fate as purported 65nm Phenom FX processors.
[ Offical Link ]

So yea its mostly good.  They are releasing high clocked 65nm CPUs on both their K8 lines and K10 lines.  Their K10.5 might be exactly what is needed to get the CPU wars going again.  YAY!

I know its a little late for the news but I googled "AMD K10.5" and got that.

Good Road Map VVV

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2008/0513/kaigai_3.jpg

Last edited by Naturn (2008-06-23 23:56:19)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6322|New Haven, CT
I love it how Intel codenames so much after locations in Oregon.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6412|Finland

something makes me think this can't handle the 25-50% improvement Intel Nehalem gives...
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
ghettoperson
+1,943|6647

nukchebi0 wrote:

I love it how Intel codenames so much after locations in Oregon.
They aren't based in Oregon are they?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6547|UK

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

something makes me think this can't handle the 25-50% improvement Intel Nehalem gives...
True, but I doubt we will see Nehalems in any meaningful supply until febuary of next year.  Same happened with the intel 45nms, released christmas but appart from the extreme versions I didnt see any till around late feb.

Martyn
The#1Spot
+105|6538|byah
Who really needs 24mb L3 cache and octa core for a desktop? 2009 is a little soon for it.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
I just think AMD is on a come back.  While it will take a little while but I think by the end of 2009 now they will have caught up to intel as far as their CPU.  Oh top of that they will own their own GPU company. 

Edit: If your wondering why I say something might be bad is they are killing their 65nm line already.

Last edited by Naturn (2008-06-24 10:18:24)

rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860

The#1Spot wrote:

Who really needs 24mb L3 cache and octa core for a desktop? 2009 is a little soon for it.
indeed it is, even quad core is too soon, dual core is only being used more now despite it being released 2-3 years ago, quad core is expensive and not used at the moment, when it will be needed, my guess 2010+ the price will down and more affordable. So buy when needed! Im only upgrading to dual core now!

Also socket  AM3 is coming out this year (should), with AM3 chips able to work on AM2 Mobo's due to backward compatibilities with DDR2 ram etc but not vise versa
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN

rammunition wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

indeed it is, even quad core is too soon, dual core is only being used more now despite it being released 2-3 years ago, quad core is expensive and not used at the moment, when it will be needed, my guess 2010+ the price will down and more affordable. So buy when needed! Im only upgrading to dual core now!

Also socket  AM3 is coming out this year (should), with AM3 chips able to work on AM2 Mobo's due to backward compatibilities with DDR2 ram etc but not vise versa
Well you know that golden rule.. every 18 months...
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
I would like to add that i've done some more searching on the net.  Apparently the Shanghai is already in major production.  Not just samples.  I guess we can expect first ones to hit the market end of this year.  45nm quad cores w/ 2mb L2 cache and 4mb L3 cache.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6764|Cambridge (UK)
'Clovertown'.

That'll be the one that gets hyped to buggery and turns out to be really shite then?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
Have no clue... I just want the K10.5 chip when its out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard