lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Avoiding the question much? I didn't ask for a solution, I asked why, statistically speaking.
and I do not care about stats, I am talking about individualism...personal responsibility.........Anyone that does not want to be poor does not have to be, in America today.............It then becomes a question of ambition, motivation, desire.etc...
So everyone can rise up the ranks of the company if everyone has the ambition until all Americans are the manager......

Reality simply refutes your argument, there are vastly more shitty jobs than well paid middle class ones. Lots of very poor people work a hell of a lot harder than any of us do. At some point factors like intelligence (influenced to upbringing, nutrition etc.), educational opportunities (related to wealth of the area/how shitty the schools are), poverty (do you have to leave school to earn money to support your family) become significant factors that prevent poor people from escaping poverty. Things that will influence your job prospects include; can you afford to drive, can you afford to do activities that look good on a c.v., can you afford to dress very well for that job interview, can you afford to not work for a period while you seek a decent job? Can you afford to do unpaid intership style work as a precursor to getting your job? All of these things favour rich kids over poor kids, hence equal opportunities are not equal even if you ignore any racism.

Background is not a completly defining characteristic, but it's stupid to ignore the influence that it does have.

Your argument requires you to ignore pretty well every study ever done on these topics, you are basically saying that you know better than thousands of  experts in the field.
Reality also dictates that not EVERY white person will rise up to be an astronaut either purefodder......But guess what, there are both black and white astronauts....amazing isn't it?

Well now, you are throwing in varibles that affect both blacks and white alike.....the rich elite are just as exclusive of white lower  classas it is black lower class.

But I am pretty sure Orah, Cosby, Tiger and others seem to manage just fine in that inner circle of rich people.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6774|Argentina

lowing wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

and I do not care about stats, I am talking about individualism...personal responsibility.........Anyone that does not want to be poor does not have to be, in America today.............It then becomes a question of ambition, motivation, desire.etc...
So everyone can rise up the ranks of the company if everyone has the ambition until all Americans are the manager......

Reality simply refutes your argument, there are vastly more shitty jobs than well paid middle class ones. Lots of very poor people work a hell of a lot harder than any of us do. At some point factors like intelligence (influenced to upbringing, nutrition etc.), educational opportunities (related to wealth of the area/how shitty the schools are), poverty (do you have to leave school to earn money to support your family) become significant factors that prevent poor people from escaping poverty. Things that will influence your job prospects include; can you afford to drive, can you afford to do activities that look good on a c.v., can you afford to dress very well for that job interview, can you afford to not work for a period while you seek a decent job? Can you afford to do unpaid intership style work as a precursor to getting your job? All of these things favour rich kids over poor kids, hence equal opportunities are not equal even if you ignore any racism.

Background is not a completly defining characteristic, but it's stupid to ignore the influence that it does have.

Your argument requires you to ignore pretty well every study ever done on these topics, you are basically saying that you know better than thousands of  experts in the field.
Reality also dictates that not EVERY white person will rise up to be an astronaut either purefodder......But guess what, there are both black and white astronauts....amazing isn't it?

Well now, you are throwing in varibles that affect both blacks and white alike.....the rich elite are just as exclusive of white lower  classas it is black lower class.

But I am pretty sure Orah, Cosby, Tiger and others seem to manage just fine in that inner circle of rich people.
Wow, that's a lot of people.  I really don't know why the hell people in NOLA are making such a big deal when there are so many black rich people.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA
Background means dick.........It is the present that matters......and I will be convinced otherwise as soon as I fill out a job aplication that askes questions like.........Is your mother a crack whore? How much does your father make?, Did your father smoke dope, Was your parents ever arrested?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of people.  I really don't know why the hell people in NOLA are making such a big deal when there are so many black rich people.
Yeah Serge, you got me...............there are only 3 rich black people in America and I named them all
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6774|Argentina

lowing wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yeah Serge, you got me...............there are only 3 rich black people in America and I named them all
Yeah, Lowing, you got me.....all the crimes in America are committed by black people.
PureFodder
+225|6302

lowing wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yes, agian I am saying that both whites and blacks are influenced by the same things, but since blacks have so recently been kept into the lower classes, there simply has not been enough generations for the effects of that to have been removed. Each generation a certain percentage drag themselves up to a better lifestyle. Due to the low percentage who achieve this, due to the low social mobility in the US and the lack of generations between US civil rights coming into effect and the present day, a far higher percentage of blacks in the lower classes is absolutely predictable. In fact, if it were not the case it would be wholey unbelievable.

As you accept, not everyone can possibly simultaneously move up classes at the same time. This means that there MUST be several generations between the implimentation of equal rights and the reality of approximate equality between blacks and whites. Unfortunately there is a relatively low rate of social mobility in US society, hence is going to take a long time for equality to be realized. Give it another 50 years at least before you can blame the statistical higher poverty and hence crime on something else, otherwise it's the utterly predictable consequence of recent US history even if you ignore the ever likely presence of racism.
PureFodder
+225|6302

lowing wrote:

Background means dick.........It is the present that matters......and I will be convinced otherwise as soon as I fill out a job aplication that askes questions like.........Is your mother a crack whore? How much does your father make?, Did your father smoke dope, Was your parents ever arrested?
Yes lowing, everyone forms in a vacuum at the age of 18 with a high school diploma from the same school, identical in all abilities, unaffected by anything that has happened in the past....

If in the present you are far less intelligent and able bodied than your peers due to poor upbringing and diet, you can't even attempt to argue that it has no effect on your prospects.

Your lack of even the remotest knowledge of psychology and sociology is astounding.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yes lowing, everyone forms in a vacuum at the age of 18 with a high school diploma from the same school, identical in all abilities, unaffected by anything that has happened in the past....

If in the present you are far less intelligent and able bodied than your peers due to poor upbringing and diet, you can't even attempt to argue that it has no effect on your prospects.

Your lack of even the remotest knowledge of psychology and sociology is astounding.
What will it take for you to stop giving passes for criminal behavior?

My Dad beat me is not an excuse for crime, neither is the devil made me do it, or I didn't make the cheerleading squad.

Regardless of your life, YOU are responsible for how you conduct yourself. Period. No excuses. It is not your parents fault, whitey's fault or Santa Clause's fault. If you break into my house and attempt to harm my family, I promise you I will give a fuck NOT about how your daddy ran out on your mother, OR how your GGG grandfather was a fuckin' slave.
PureFodder
+225|6302

lowing wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

My Dad beat me is not an excuse for crime, neither is the devil made me do it, or I didn't make the cheerleading squad.

Regardless of your life, YOU are responsible for how you conduct yourself. Period. No excuses. It is not your parents fault, whitey's fault or Santa Clause's fault. If you break into my house and attempt to harm my family, I promise you I will give a fuck NOT about how your daddy ran out on your mother, OR how your GGG grandfather was a fuckin' slave.
So, since you refuse to comment on anything I posted, I assume you've accepted that I, plus sociologists and psychologists are actually right. The high rates of poverty and asociated crime in the black community are in fact due in part to recent American history.

Incidentally, if you can actually hear the devil telling you to commit crimes then it's not your fault because you're crazy.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

So, since you refuse to comment on anything I posted, I assume you've accepted that I, plus sociologists and psychologists are actually right. The high rates of poverty and asociated crime in the black community are in fact due in part to recent American history.

Incidentally, if you can actually hear the devil telling you to commit crimes then it's not your fault because you're crazy.
Nope, the high crime rate amoungst ANY people are a DIRECT result of those individuals actually commiting the crime.............
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572
Sociology is not lowing's friend.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6739|Eastern PA
Notice how my posting of how racial perceptions affect hiring and the questions asked by interviewers has been swallowed by this thread.

People need to cling to their outdated stereotypes I suppose.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Sociology is not lowing's friend.
Maybe not, but personal responsibility is, so is respect, accountability, discipline, ambition.................... and criminals, have none of them

Those attributes gets you ahead, sociology does not.
usmarine2
Banned
+233|5808|Dublin, Ohio
Someone explain the "wealth" argument to me when I put it in this context.

The NBA and NFL are primarily black athletes.

The NHL and NASCAR are primarily white.

Now, I think all of us in the US know damn well which sport has their athletes in the news for doing bad things (illegal).  The NBA and NFL have more problems with the law then the NHL and NASCAR.  Why?  It ain't wealth disparity, they are all millionaires.

Now before Cam makes some racist thread about me, this is not about pointing the finger, it is about me not agreeing with the wealth argument.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6688|UK

Masques wrote:

Notice how my posting of how racial perceptions affect hiring and the questions asked by interviewers has been swallowed by this thread.

BF2s D&ST Mantra:

personal opinion > facts
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

Masques wrote:

If it was addressed toward me, please repost your point or tell me where it is, and I will respond. I was bouncing through 3 different threads covering the same topic so if I missed it, it was unintentional and in no way was I trying to avoid it.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6307|Éire

usmarine2 wrote:

Someone explain the "wealth" argument to me when I put it in this context.

The NBA and NFL are primarily black athletes.

The NHL and NASCAR are primarily white.

Now, I think all of us in the US know damn well which sport has their athletes in the news for doing bad things (illegal).  The NBA and NFL have more problems with the law then the NHL and NASCAR.  Why?  It ain't wealth disparity, they are all millionaires.

Now before Cam makes some racist thread about me, this is not about pointing the finger, it is about me not agreeing with the wealth argument.
The wealth argument can still apply. Ever heard the expression "you can take the man out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the man", basically if you pluck someone from a disadvantaged or troubled background and make them a millionaire they won't instantly overcome all their personal issues and become well adjusted, upstanding members of society. It's not exclusive to race either.

How many people get drafted into the NHL or signed for NASCAR teams from disadvantaged backgrounds?
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6374|CA, USA

Masques wrote:

tell me how you can get a racial bias in asking a interview question about how to write code to do a linked list or what data structure is more appropriate in certain situations?  this is like calling the SAT as culturally biased (at least on the math section).  bunch of crap.  sorry.  if certain groups of people score differently on a test, let's not change the test.  rather, why not fix the problem of why those people don't score well in the first place.  unfortunately, there is alot of resistance to do that kind of work.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

Braddock wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

At last, some reality rears its head in this thread!
If you go back through the thread, I think you'll see that reality has been here since somewhere close to (but not) the OP.

Trouble is, lowtroll keeps pouring bile all over it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

If you go back through the thread, I think you'll see that reality has been here since somewhere close to (but not) the OP.

*yawn*........the usual non-contributing responses from the usual suspects..
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

What d'u want me to say?

Lowing, you're wrong.

This entire thread consists of one person after another saying essentially "The answer to the OP is that a larger proportion of poor in the US are black, than are white and it is poverty, not skin colour, that causes crime".

Predominantly interspersed with you spouting yet more bile.

Then someone else comes along and tries to get you to understand this basic and fundamental truth.

And then you spout the same bile over again.

And so the cycle continues.

Face it lowing, you are wrong.

End of thread.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

What d'u want me to say?

Lowing, you're wrong.

This entire thread consists of one person after another saying essentially "The answer to the OP is that a larger proportion of poor in the US are black, than are white and it is poverty, not skin colour, that causes crime".

Predominantly interspersed with you spouting yet more bile.

Then someone else comes along and tries to get you to understand this basic and fundamental truth.

And then you spout the same bile over again.

And so the cycle continues.

Face it lowing, you are wrong.

End of thread.
Yer right, it ain't skin color..........It is the personal actions of individuals that commit crime that makes them criminals......It is NOT because of slavery or the civil rights movement, or any other era in history that the people in question were never a part of of lived through, to claim suffering.

I have been called a racist because I hold EACH person accountable for their actions. IF we are talking bout the black community then so be it.

If we are talking about the white community then so be it, my observations still apply.......It is consistant. There is nothing racial about it.

Face it scorpion, there is truth tho what I have posted
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

lowing wrote:

Yer right, it ain't skin color..........It is the personal actions of individuals that commit crime that makes them criminals......It is NOT because of slavery or the civil rights movement, or any other era in history that the people in question were never a part of of lived through, to claim suffering.

I have been called a racist because I hold EACH person accountable for their actions. IF we are talking bout the black community then so be it.

If we are talking about the white community then so be it, my observations still apply.......It is consistant. There is nothing racial about it.

No, there is simply no truth to what you post.

You assume perfect equality of opportunity, and, yet again, you refuse to accept another fundamental truth that has been explained to you time and time again.

That is, there is no 'equality of opportunity' within the US, Ireland, the UK, Europe, or anywhere in the world.

Ones socio-economic background plays a very large part in determining ones success in life.

More poor in the US are black, than white. Therefore more blacks than whites, in the US, are at a disadvantage. Therefore more blacks than whites, in the US, turn to crime.

Q.E.D.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-06-26 00:30:49)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6668|USA

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, there is simply no truth to what you post.

You assume perfect equality of opportunity, and, yet again, you refuse to accept another fundamental truth that has been explained to you time and time again.

That is, there is no 'equality of opportunity' within the US, Ireland, the UK, Europe, or anywhere in the world.

Ones socio-economic background plays a very large part in determining ones success in life.

More poor in the US are black, than white. Therefore more blacks than whites, in the US, are at a disadvantage. Therefore more blacks than whites, in the US, turn to crime.

Q.E.D.
NO, what that means is more blacks need to exercise more personal responsibility. Disadvantage or not, there is NO excuse for criminal behavior. There are social programs in place to assist the "disadvantaged". It is SOLEY up to the "disadvantaged" to take some, or all advantage of these programs.

To say I robbed the liquor store because my GGG grandfather was a slave, or becasue my grandfather drank from a "colored only" water fountain
is complete and utter bullshit.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6397|MN
You just proved it yourself, poor people are at a disadvantage!  Not Black people, just poor people.

Edit: I type bad!

Last edited by LividBovine (2008-06-26 00:40:59)

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard