HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC
What's with us Americans and the whole not protesting in huge masses thing? Look at the 1960s, especially near Vietnam. People stood up back then, people didn't take shit from the government. People put a cause before themselves, even if it meant possible harm (e.g. the Freedom Riders). I don't agree with a few things that protesters did (e.g. spitting on soldiers... WTF), but I agree with the idea of telling the government that we're sick of their shit.

We're in huge debt, our economy is sinking, we're STILL stuck on oil (computers have changed SO much in 50 years, yet cars are still, deep down inside, like the Model T), and our government seems filled to the brim with incompetence. Look at the proposed new GI Bill... sounds pretty good... yet you get people like John McCain (who claim they are 'patriots' and 'support the troops') shooting it down.

We're in a huge war. People seem to bitch on TV all the time about how they oppose it. Yet what do they do? They either don't do meaningful protests, or they protest the wrong people (e.g. picketing infront of a recruitment office. Yeah, because Sergeant John Doe really has a lot of leverage in stopping the war.). What ever happened to marching on Washington? What ever happened to mass protests?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6709|67.222.138.85
Because protesting is a useless activity for rich college students with too much time on their hands. It doesn't get anything done.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5963|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Because protesting is a useless activity for rich college students with too much time on their hands. It doesn't get anything done.
Then how do you suggest we fix our problems? Keep hoping that the government suddenly becomes populated with half intelligent individuals?
Flaming_Maniac

HurricaИe wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Then how do you suggest we fix our problems? Keep hoping that the government suddenly becomes populated with half intelligent individuals?
No, you work to make sure the government is populated by half intelligent individuals. Sitting on your ass (or chaining your ass to shit, same thing) isn't going to yield any results.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

QFT

I lose respect for a cause when i see idiot hippies running around complaining about it.

if you really want to change something, then get off your ass and change it yourself, one man can certainly make a world of difference.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5935|United States

S.Lythberg wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

QFT

I lose respect for a cause when i see idiot hippies running around complaining about it.

if you really want to change something, then get off your ass and change it yourself, one man can certainly make a world of difference.
damn straight

https://tenpercent.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/weapons.jpg

jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

S.Lythberg wrote:

I think that's what he's saying.

What would your advice be once he got off his ass?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL

jord wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

I think that's what he's saying.

What would your advice be once he got off his ass?
educate yourself, get a career in politics or some relevant field, and solve the problem, don't just complain.

edit: or see argo's post for alternative solutions

Last edited by S.Lythberg (2008-06-09 10:42:56)

13rin
+977|6481
We're Not Gonna Protest!

We're Not Gonna Protest!

We're Not Gonna Protest!

PCU anyone?
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
howler_27
+90|6689
Gutter is a tool
Gutter is a tool

Ok, I truely believe that there's a huge difference between the 60's and todays U.S. Citizens.  Today, you have a bunch of people raised by parents who believe in letting the kids "think" about what they've done wrong, as opposed to making sure that they will never forget what they've done wrong by getting their ass paddled.  It's not just the current generation, but the ones before us, and before them. The 60's started the whole "PUSSIFICATION" of a lot of the American public.  Nowadays they talk the talk, but when it comes to standing up and getting some blood on your chin, or getting knocked around, they'd rather just about face and go back to their homes where it's nice and cozy.   

We need to get back to the days of nuttin' it up and away from being so damn cream-puffy.  Enough with your damn Mojitos, sandles, and import sedans, Give me a pickup truck, a pair of steal toe boots, some Jack Daniels, and get outta the damn way.  It's time to grow a pair America.  We didn't get where we are by being powder puffs.  We got here from gritty, hard work, and dedication to the cause.
ReTox
+100|6501|State of RETOXification

howler_27 wrote:

It's time to grow a pair America.  We didn't get where we are by being powder puffs.  We got here from gritty, hard work, and dedication to the cause.
True, but then the government went and neutered ya all and I'm pretty sure they'll do it again.  It's pretty easy for them to make people disappear these days... they just point and say "terrorist!".
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Because you have to be committed. You have to be at a point where you have nothing to lose (your cush space at your parent DC suburb house). All to your loose teen angst?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

HurricaИe wrote:

We're in a huge war. People seem to bitch on TV all the time about how they oppose it. Yet what do they do? They either don't do meaningful protests, or they protest the wrong people (e.g. picketing infront of a recruitment office. Yeah, because Sergeant John Doe really has a lot of leverage in stopping the war.). What ever happened to marching on Washington? What ever happened to mass protests?
Maybe your TV is just giving you the impression that their is a huge antiwar sentiment? Consider the idea that American aren't necessarily opposed to the war. They just don't want to lose.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
JahManRed
wank
+646|6630|IRELAND

Maybe because this happens?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Didn't see any rich college students  in that vid.
13rin
+977|6481

howler_27 wrote:

Gutter is a tool
Gutter is a tool

Ok, I truely believe that there's a huge difference between the 60's and todays U.S. Citizens.  Today, you have a bunch of people raised by parents who believe in letting the kids "think" about what they've done wrong, as opposed to making sure that they will never forget what they've done wrong by getting their ass paddled.  It's not just the current generation, but the ones before us, and before them. The 60's started the whole "PUSSIFICATION" of a lot of the American public.  Nowadays they talk the talk, but when it comes to standing up and getting some blood on your chin, or getting knocked around, they'd rather just about face and go back to their homes where it's nice and cozy.   

We need to get back to the days of nuttin' it up and away from being so damn cream-puffy.  Enough with your damn Mojitos, sandles, and import sedans, Give me a pickup truck, a pair of steal toe boots, some Jack Daniels, and get outta the damn way.  It's time to grow a pair America.  We didn't get where we are by being powder puffs.  We got here from gritty, hard work, and dedication to the cause.
It's like looking in the mirror.  -Except steel toe boots are for wussies.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Let's see...

Rich?  Nope
White? Yep
College?  Degree, yep.
Too much time on my hands?  No, just passion for a cause.
Doesn't get anything done?  Hmm, protesting for the Immokalee Workers as well as a boycott seemed to work out.

In 2001, the CIW launched a boycott of Taco Bell, asking the company to take responsibility for the working conditions and wages of the farmworkers that supply the company's tomatoes. During the campaign, called "Boot the Bell," the CIW worked closely with religious and community groups and a student network, the Student/Farmworker Alliance, to pressure Taco Bell from different social angles. On March 8, 2005, Yum! Brands, Inc., which owns Taco Bell, agreed to all of the organization's demands, including the CIW’s requests that the company pay a penny more per pound of tomatoes to increase workers' wages. Yum! will also work with the CIW to enforce a code of conduct to monitor worker complaints and avoid abuses in the fields.
That was a protest I proudly was a part of.  Not as a rich white college kid with too much time on my hands - as a human being concerned about the human rights and treatment of fellow humans.

I could easily list 10 to 20 other instances of protests fomenting positive change.
Flaming_Maniac

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Let's see...

Rich?  Nope
White? Yep
College?  Degree, yep.
Doesn't get anything done?  Hmm, protesting for the Immokalee Workers as well as a boycott seemed to work out.

In 2001, the CIW launched a boycott of Taco Bell, asking the company to take responsibility for the working conditions and wages of the farmworkers that supply the company's tomatoes. During the campaign, called "Boot the Bell," the CIW worked closely with religious and community groups and a student network, the Student/Farmworker Alliance, to pressure Taco Bell from different social angles. On March 8, 2005, Yum! Brands, Inc., which owns Taco Bell, agreed to all of the organization's demands, including the CIW’s requests that the company pay a penny more per pound of tomatoes to increase workers' wages. Yum! will also work with the CIW to enforce a code of conduct to monitor worker complaints and avoid abuses in the fields.
That was a protest I proudly was a part of.  Not as a rich white college kid with too much time on my hands - as a human being concerned about the human rights and treatment of fellow humans.

I could easily list 10 to 20 other instances of protests fomenting positive change.
Yeah, you are rich. You have a college degree (most likely mostly paid for by your parents, but not necessarily) and you're spending your time on an internet forum based around a game that requires a very luxurious computer and internet connection to play. Not something that poor people have the opportunity to do.

...you got a penny increase per pound for Taco Bell's tomatoes...congratulations.
aimless
+166|6127|Texas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Let's see...

Rich?  Nope
White? Yep
College?  Degree, yep.

Yeah, you are rich. You have a college degree (most likely mostly paid for by your parents, but not necessarily) and you're spending your time on an internet forum based around a game that requires a very luxurious computer and internet connection to play. Not something that poor people have the opportunity to do.

...you got a penny increase per pound for Taco Bell's tomatoes...congratulations.
My computer isn't very luxurious.
Flaming_Maniac

aimless wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Let's see...

Rich?  Nope
White? Yep
College?  Degree, yep.

My computer isn't very luxurious.
When you're spending hundreds of dollars on chunks of silicon and not food, it's a luxury.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6630|IRELAND

So if you got a computer that can run bf2, you should have no right to protest against anything your country does or says........gotcha.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6558|Kent, UK

JahManRed wrote:

So if you got a computer that can run bf2, you should have no right to protest against anything your country does or says........gotcha.
Where on earth did anyone say that? Read again flowerblossom.

What FM says, and i pretty much agree, is that people would rather protest and "stand up and be counted", instead of actually being original, innovative and influential and actually making a difference as an individual.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Omg you need a history lesson man...
And your attempt to make us all feel guilty for having a degree and a pc is just wrong. Many things have changed from the concentrated efforts of the middle classes. You don't have to be hungry to go out and protest what you think is wrong.
ƒ³
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
All those damn rich college kids and their protests....

pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6407|Earth
I never see any good in protesting, as the government really doesn't give a shit about the people. Protesting isn't going to end our "war", it isn't going to lower gas prices, it isn't going to change Bush's mind on anything. But now that the reign of this Texan fuck up is about to be over, maybe something can be done.

People need to understand that we are fighting for oil. There is no other reason for us being in Iraq, and if you really think there is, maybe you should go color, becuase that is something that is more on your intelligence level. No amount of protesting will ever change anything about how the way Bush thinks. The higher ups in our government only care of themselves and their friends, and that is why our country sucks ass.

As for other things, I do believe protest for gay marriage could work. But I still don't really see what the government has against these people, as they are no harm or threat to anybody anywhere. So protest can gain results for these people. The only thing the government has here is the "God shield" and their so called "values and American morals" bullshit.

But really, I don't see the point in protest. The government is, and always will be, in control of its people, and nothing will ever change that. They can make you disappear like you never existed, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. You can hate all that you want, but the people pretty much don't have a say in anything except for voting, and even then the government can take your say away (i.e. the 2000 election.)
Signature
Flaming_Maniac

oug wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Omg you need a history lesson man...
And your attempt to make us all feel guilty for having a degree and a pc is just wrong. Many things have changed from the concentrated efforts of the middle classes. You don't have to be hungry to go out and protest what you think is wrong.
Give me one then.

Guilty? Not at all. Only pointing out that the only people who have the luxury of protest are the ones with various other luxuries.

Turquoise wrote:

All those damn rich college kids and their protests....

A notable exception as far as effectiveness. Honestly though, they were fighting for rights they already legally had. Not exactly the same as protesting current policies.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard