Braddock
Agitator
+916|6331|Éire
...before you stop bitching and start acting?

I was just thinking to myself recently about the reality of how countries and societies are actually run in this world and how it actually effects the day to day reality of people's lives. You may live in a proportional representation democracy, a military regime or a communist party state but at the end of the of the day we all have a hundred and one things to worry about and keep us busy every day. In Germany we saw an entire nation sit back and allow the attempted extermination of a race of people to carry on right under their noses, in the US we see a country that spends billions and billions of tax dollars engaging in wars that may or may not be in the best interests of the tax payers themselves, in the Middle East we see countries that allow extremist groups to take power and rule with an iron fist. I lived with an Italian guy once who said he could not believe how much shit the Irish people took from their Government without complaining, he said that in Italy they'd be out in the streets marching within days!

We have a big referendum coming up here soon and our Government has given us 21 days to assess and evaluate a complex 250 page document (the Lisbon treaty), the Yes camp's main argument being that we don't live in a pure democracy and should trust our elected Government and give them the yes vote they desire...this coming from a Government that didn't even release an official statement after a record number of people turned out to march in protest at our Government's tacit support of the Iraq war. Our day to day reality may be changed dramatically as a result of this treaty (or subsequent treaties as the case may be) and Irish society as a whole seems to be walking blindly into this. One girl was asked on the news what she knew about the Lisbon treaty recently, her response was "I know I have to vote yes"!

It seems that nowadays people don't sit up and take action any more until the 'baddies' are kicking in the door with the guns blazing. What would be the watershed for you as a citizen to stop talking and start acting?
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6384|tropical regions of london
this is the wrong place to ask that.  Youll get nothing but a bunch of cyber revolutionaries on here.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6596

Braddock wrote:

It seems that nowadays people don't sit up and take action any more until the 'baddies' are kicking in the door with the guns blazing. What would be the watershed for you as a citizen to stop talking and start acting?
If some political force:

- Prevented me from exercising freedom of speech;
- Prevented me from exercising my right to be an atheist;
- Prevented me from accessing whatever media/literature I desire;
- Banned a political party, however despicable;
- Forced me to engage in military service against my will;
- Engaged in military action in my name against my will;
- Tried to incorporate a religious element into the governance of my nation;
- Took deliberate actions at odds with maintaining social harmony (exponentially widening the gap between rich and poor - would need to be pretty serious).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-06-04 16:07:36)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6331|Éire

God Save the Queen wrote:

this is the wrong place to ask that.  Youll get nothing but a bunch of cyber revolutionaries on here.
That's the perfect target demographic when it comes to all talk and no action!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6452|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

That's the perfect target demographic when it comes to all talk and no action!
QFT
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
DoN_KiNgPiN69
+4|6502|Montreal, Quebec
I don't know Braddock but I've recently asked myself this question...the only answers I could find was either if someone starts a movement I will join it or if it becomes too unreasonable I would also say that its enough but would still find myself waiting for someone to start the movement. I think it might be our fear of consequences that stops us in our tracks and also the fact that we know they have technology and manpower to pretty much find anyone or at least we think they do so its not like in the old days where the fight would be equal...the only way the fight would be equal would be to gather A LOT of people and that seems very hard at the very least.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6609|Mountains of NC

people are re-active not pro-active
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6748|67.222.138.85
As soon as the government starts doing things that seriously effect their life. Not their principles or their morals, their day to day life.
GorillaKing798
Too legit to quit
+48|6156|Tampa, Florida
A disaster is what it takes for people to change their thinking unfortunately.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6799|Argentina

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

As soon as the government starts doing things that seriously effect their life. Not their principles or their morals, their day to day life.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6488|Chicago, IL

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6446|North Carolina

GorillaKing798 wrote:

A disaster is what it takes for people to change their thinking unfortunately.
Yep
ZombieVampire!
The Gecko
+69|5868
Why bother?  People are so fucking useless that, by and large, they ought get screwed over.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6331|Éire

S.Lythberg wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

That's exactly what I think. That's why, as an example, the Iraq war only elicits a certain amount of reaction from American citizens, it is by and large a purely abstract war for anyone who does not have friends or relatives actually serving in it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard